• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Mercedes Zetros Trucks

Wolf.Dose

RE: Spelling and look uo

Sorry, the basic cab is a Unimog 437 cab. It is extended to accomodate a sleeping place. I have seen the first ones which were for a british military vehicle exhebition about 3 years ago. A 4x4 version was loaded with a SMART painted in three tone camo and marked as a FELDJAEGER (military police) vehicle. The report about these vehicles was published in Commercial Motor from UK.
Wolf

Well, I don't know what I should think about that all. Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned, but to me these are no real military vehicles. Put some good looking armour plates on a civil truck, paint it in fashionable desert colors and call it military. Look at the picture of the Actros with the front axles. All those unprotected lines and hoses. Don't want to know what happens when all heck breaks loose and lives depend on these things. I think thats far too complicated and unneccessary for hard field use, or combat situations, but maybe I'm wrong.
At least the drivers can sleep in a comfortable, air-conditioned cab.

Mark (puts on the flame retardant suit...)

Wolf.Dose

Sorry, the brake system is a civilian brake system at those Canadian armord ACTROS. And basic of this system works since 1996 not to bad (MAN and IVECO uses the same brake system suppliers). Of course, if you hit a mine a hose or so will be blown of (but the wheel is gone also). But it is 2 circuit, which means 2 circut according European standard, not to the US-thinking (sorry there in the states, to my knowledge you do not use a 4 circuit savety valve in the air supply line from the compressor). The construction side trucks use the same system, too.
Unfortuantely (or luckily) ABS is mandantory also for military trucks nowadays, not so much by some rules from this or that government, they all request it including other electronic functions like emission control, power train control, brake linnig wear etc.!

Wolf.Dose

to bbf:
They all cook with water. The one likes Mercedes trucks, the other MAN, the third Iveco, the other Renault or Mack or Freightliner or Peterbuilt or Western Star or Leyland or Tata or Fuso or Hino or what else. They are all good trucks built to the intention of their use according the understanding of the related management.
Sometimes the management has some funny ideas, which I know from my job. Fortunately the inspection and homologation authorities sometimes can stop them, most the time not. So you have to live with it and hope of the marked response.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks