• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Mexico members check in here!

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I now return you to our regular programming: When pulling out trees and stumps with my big truck, it is surprising how easily a relatively heavy chain can snap. It is also surprising how far a relatively heavy chain will whiplash after snapping. While chains are load rated, it is usually the link that the grab hook is grabbing that snaps. The tighter the loop around whatever it is around, the greater the side load imparted on that link. Moving blankets and such draped on the straight runs of chains and cables work well to absorb whiplash energy. Be careful.

Fmccory

Yes Sir! 1000% correct! My Father owned a cab-over Freightliner and was an owner/operater my whole life growing up! I've got Diesel flowing in my veins! Not sure why it took so long to get a Duece either! LOL! So I try and use every precaution and correct tool when possible! But a reminder is always appreciated Sir! I do forget stuff! Here's me (the tallest boy) and Pops (RIP) and the rest of us!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415378807.641806.jpg

Another Ahab

It is also surprising how far a relatively heavy chain will whiplash after snapping.Moving blankets and such draped on the straight runs of chains and cables work well to absorb whiplash energy. Be careful.
If you do a lot of snatching/ winching you might want to consider keeping a "goal weight" in your kit bag (shown below, and in the link):

- Not much mass to a moving-blanket (and mass is what does the dampening).

- Filled with sand, and draped over the chain/ wire rope, this thing will dampen the blowback if you get a failure.

- And don't worry: the bag doesn't realize that you're not a soccer team.

- Sure, a little pricey; but if it saves you just once from decapitation, then suddenly the cost becomes completely reasonable.

anchor bag.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Holy crap that is cool! That is definitely gonna have to be added to my get list!
Nice feature is a velcro closure (pinning the two sides together over your line/ chain), so the bag doesn't accidentally fall off.

Say...wait a minute. What was that OP here again?!

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Yes Sir! 1000% correct! My Father owned a cab-over Freightliner and was an owner/operater my whole life growing up! I've got Diesel flowing in my veins! Not sure why it took so long to get a Duece either! LOL! So I try and use every precaution and correct tool when possible! But a reminder is always appreciated Sir! I do forget stuff! Here's me (the tallest boy) and Pops (RIP) and the rest of us!View attachment 525622
You honor your Father with every mention of him, and every time he crosses your mind. That's a blessing to him, and to you.

And I'm sure I'm not alone here in letting you know that his memory is met with respect by all of us. Amen.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody heard anything about the Elephant Butte holiday thing for this year. I see NMSmitty hasn't posted in a while. I am hoping to be able to go up but just wondering if there was a concerted effort afoot.

droprat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vped , we will not be able to attend this year! Wife's graduation is that same weekend! Hopefully we can do something in the spring!?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure I will be able to either or else I would try taking the lead on setting it up.

searls84

Anybody heard anything about the Elephant Butte holiday thing for this year. I see NMSmitty hasn't posted in a while. I am hoping to be able to go up but just wondering if there was a concerted effort afoot.
Not sure we are going to make it this year... Haven't heard of anyone putting anything together for it either. Hopefully we can make it, it's always a good time!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks