• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Michigan License Plate Law for MV's Passes

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since when?
From the Michigan Secratery of State website :
Historical vehicles
A historical vehicle must be:

• 26 or more years old
  • Owned solely as a collector's item
  • Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades and car show
Note: A vehicle registered with a historical or authentic plate cannot be used for routine, day-to-day transportation.

SOS - Historical Plates - State of Michigan

www.[B]michigan[/B].gov/.../0,4670,7-127-1585_1595_52364---,00...

Note : A vehicle registered with a historical plate or authentic historic plate cannot be used for
routine transportation, except during the month of August when it may be driven anywhere in the state without restrictions.

Last edited:
Apples and oranges argument. Law states that military vehicles that are not set up for plates do not have to rig them up, just have them in the vehicle. Military vehicle not plated with Historical plates can drive till **** freezes over but if you buy the cheap Historical plates you have limited windows of driving time.

The new law affects whether you have to display the plate on the military vehicle or just have it in the vehicle. The law has nothing to do with historical vehicles. Apples = MV oranges = Historical vehicle; of course you can have your MV plated as a Historical Vehicle and only drive during the allowed times and have your plates in the vehicle if the vehicle was not manufactured with a Plate fixture.

Last edited:

digitaldust

Per my chat with msp and sos . Mv with a historic place must follow the historic rules. To and from car shows . Club biz. Very limited use. Non historical plated trucks. Must still have the plate attached to the rear. Also unless lit equipment ticket may be given. ......... and that is the word of the law man . I talked to from msp. Also the sos said the same less than 1000miles per year .

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find that one has to explain the law to MSP. as well as the peeps at the SOS.

Here is the line that matters from the application;
I certify this historical vehicle is owned solely as a collector’s item and is used only for historical club activities, parades, car shows, etc. and not for routine transportation.

No mileage restrictions, no time of day restrictions.

I've been running Authentic/Historic Plates since the early 90's.
and yes I've had to explain the law to unknowing LEO's a few times.

The new law is very clear, type of registration is irrelevant.
"As used in this subsection, "historic military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer,
regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately."

Last edited:

digitaldust

I just had the SOS look up the law and what is PER THE WORDING :"

(6) A registration plate issued for a historic military vehicle that is authorized to be operated on the roads of this state is not required to be attached to the rear or the front of the historic military vehicle unless the historic military vehicle was originally manufactured with lighting and mounting provisions for a registration plate. However, if the registration plate is not attached to the exterior of the historic military vehicle, it shall be present in the historic military vehicle to which it refers and shall be made available upon demand of a police officer. As used in this subsection, "historic military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

_

(7) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil infraction.

257.20a “Historic vehicle” defined.

Sec. 20a.
"Historic vehicle" means a vehicle that is over 25 years old, and that is owned solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation. For purposes of this section, use of the vehicle during the month of August in each year is considered an exhibition.

History: Add. 1996, Act 404, Eff. Dec. 21, 1996 ;-- Am. 2012, Act 239, Imd. Eff. June 29, 2012

Basic :
this law allows any year of vehicle to be historical , however must comply with basic law of 257.20a first. " driving to work is not allowed "

I still don't know what to make of this law. I do like the direction its going. maybe a amendment to it clearing up the HISTORIC restrictions?
I have driven all round the year on H plates and have had few LEO stops. there just doing there job to make sure its insured and plated correctly. I have been asked if i was doing a club duty or other reg related action.

Thank you , who helped get us this far !

DanDan

Do your inspections and have a 'safe' vehicle, carry the required documentation for your specific jurisdiction, and PLEASE be very polite if you are stopped. Attitude has quite a lot to do with the issuing (or not) of a ticket. In Ontario it is not against the law to give attitude but believe me, many, many tickets are written for that reason. :popcorn:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never been stopped in my Deuce. I just keep my nose clean and have not had a problem (knock on wood). I have a copy of the law with my license plate in the glove box. I agree, politeness helps a lot! Pick your battles. haha.

tobyS

My 817 has a 42k farm plate mounted on the back between the tail lights...but no license plate light. No problems yet. Looks good!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im just saying that the sos reference to the 257.20 for the definition of. As it is know to be. Definition of what historical is as
Yes, If you have a historical registration / plate whether displayed or not. Then you will be held to the restrictions of the historical plate, I.E. " not used for general transportation"

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never been stopped in my Deuce.
I jinxed myself. I got pulled over in the deuce tonight for no plate. The officer was nice but he did not know about the law and he said that license plate section was his favorite section. He let me go and no ticket of course. It was the first time since April I got pulled over and I had other cops behind me during the day, and they didn't pull me over. It was dark when I got pulled over tonight.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had a plate I'm sure I would not have been pulled over. So I'm on the line if I should put the plate on or not. Its cool without it but if they see a plate they wouldn't care.... who knows.

digitaldust

So who lets the police departments know about this law. I was just told my cucv is not a military truck and the paper with the reg on it was not real..... ticket. ....

undysworld

Simple. Print out a copy of the law and carry it in the glove compartment. Shouldn't have to, but. Go to court. If the law's on your side, the judge should side with you.

Isn't the VIN specific to a military contract? IIRC, the fourth digit of a Chevy military vehicle VIN is a "4" (or maybe the 7th digit). I think Dodges were random VINs, as they were produced amongst civilian vehicles. This is just from memory, however, and may be subject to blackouts...

Anybody here know more specifically?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So who lets the police departments know about this law. I was just told my cucv is not a military truck and the paper with the reg on it was not real..... ticket. ....
What department ticketed you ?
A friend of mine was ticketed in Frankenmuth a couple years ago on his way to a car show there with his 1968 Chevell registered ( legally ) with a 1968 plate. The ticket was thrown out but still a hassle because the LEO did not know his job.

digitaldust

I was told by the leo threatened. Leave the plate of the back or else. " just because you paint a vehicle camouflage does not make it a military vehicle also the vehicle is currently not being operated by a soldier therefore it is not a military vehicle either"

Flint city. Also he said the reg was not real. He did not need to look at it. Today I'm going to make friendly contact with a supervisor and go over the regulation and my concerns hoping this may lead to a memorandum amongst the unaware

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks