• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New motor, starter, shut off questions

Walt4653

HI, BOUGHT A 10KW 003. THAT NEEDED A MOTOR. 1985 , INSTALLED A REBUILT MOTOR BY MELTON, EVERYTHING WENT SMOOTH,LOTS OF HELP FROM HERE, TM ETC. RUNS EXCELLENT PUTS OUT PROPER POWER BUT WHEN SHUTTING DOWN IT TAKES A LITTLE LONGER THAN USUAL, ALSO MOVED PLUNGER UP AND DOWN HELPED A LITTLE BUT STILL IS SLOW SHUTTING DOWN, ABOUT 4-6 seconds. STARTER WIRES ? MAY BE WRONG BUT STARTS AND HAS NO SHORTS, NEW STARTER FROM MELTON WAS STARTER TYPE TWO NOT PRESTOLITE LIKE ORIGINAL. I PUSH THE PLUNGER DOWN AND SHUTS OFF LIKE IT SHOULD. DO STARTER WIRE POSITIONS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH SHUT OFF, OR THE ELECTRIC SOLONIOD , OR LINKAGE, DON'T WANT TO ADJUST TILL SOME EXPERTS HER COULD HELP.
ALSO HOPE I AM POSTING ON THE RIGHT SITE, TO GET SOME HELP, THIS IS A GREAT SITE AND DONT WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE.

HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP

WALT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harleyd315

Not sure about the starter wires, don't think if you had them wrong machine would start. If the wires were wrong i'm sure you would have some sparks also. The solenoid should snap into position with power applied and return when power is shut off. I have a jumper wire that I use to apply 24volts to the solenoid to check its operation without cranking the engine. I have removed a few and sprayed some WD40 under the rubber boot to free them up. By telling me the unit shuts down when you push the lever down, it sure sound like a lazy solenoid. Lube up all the linkage and check the adjustment of the solenoid to be sure it is closing the lever all the way.

Walt4653

Harley, there are 2 wires small going to starter, do you think I got one in wrong position, one is ground, Al's when starting this morn there is no glow plugs, working either, sol does not click
walt

Harleyd315

I have replaced one new melton engine on an 003. I just went outside and looked at mine. There are 3 smaller wires one is on the pos stud of the starter, one is on the neg stud of the starter and the other one is for the solenoid. When I did mine I marked the wires with color coded tape so not to get confused when putting it back together. You may have crossed them up, not sure. I guess you will have to look for the numbers on the wires and check your schematic at this point, not sure if you can use a ohm meter to ground to determine which wire is neg.

Walt4653

Harley, went to a TM, adjusted sol about 3 threads and now it shuts down fine, but is there a test on glow plugs, on this site, mine don't seem to work this am. On starter one wir went to pos term, one small to ground, and other to neg term. I reversed the two and got nothing, put back original starts but no glow plugs.
Thanks for the tips do you know how to test glow plugs
walt

Walt4653

Also does the two wires have anything to do with glow plugs, my old starter had one wire to sol, but new starter has only ground that the wire fits.

jbk

if not sure check the elec.data plate on top of the control box or tm. each wire is numbered, the diagram will show you were the wires go.