• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New mule owner

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a nice 1968 M274A4 mule a couple weeks ago. Just needs a little TLC to be 100%. I already removed the engine guard and with a little heat was able to get it straightened out pretty good. I have all the rails and data plates and plan on getting the correct bed bolts if I can find them. Couple seals weeping a little but not bad. I plan on replacing over the winter months. Also plan on trying to find the elusive correct NDCC tires for it. Should be a fun project that doesn't take up to much space in the garage. Any pointers or advise is greatly appreciated.emmys mule.jpg

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There's a guy on eBay with the bolts, look up the MS # in the TM and search eBay for it.

Supposedly Coker is making or is going to make the correct tires, there's a big thread on g503 about it. I think they will be able to be ordered through Summit Racing as well.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM sent. Unless your going for 100% factory look, I wouldn't worry about the tires. They get chewed up fast.

Last edited:

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Part of my reason for thinking of changing back to the NDCC tires is I have heard the extra contact patch on the ground with the NDT's could put extra strain and wear on the steering components espcially the steering gear box. I may just leave them for a little while and wear them out some more. Well see. It has all new tie rods I just need to do an alignment on it to help it track correctly. I have heard to toe in the front a quarter of an inch on the front to aid in steering. I will try to do some more research to see if that's the right move.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never heard the extra contact makes it wear faster. Interesting.

The alignment procedures are in the TM's, and you now know here to find them! :)

Charlie

Actually, the correct tire is not an NDCC, but a NDMD, but nobody's every been able to tell me what that stands for! Coker Tire has the correct tire, and you can get a set of 4 through Summit Racing with free shipping right now. Myself and several other mule owners here and on the G503 have just recently purchased sets of these tires.
The danger in using non-standard tires, especially on 4-wheel steer mules, is the fact that the mule does not have a differential, only a ring gear and pinion, which means if one wheel turns, they all turn, at the same speed. In a hard turn, the outside tire must be able to slip. An aggressive ATV-type tire does not slip very well and can cause excessive stress and wear on the drive ine components, especially the pinions and drop axle gears. You can get away with big tires in mud and soft ground, but on hard surfaces like pavement and concrete, something will eventually break.
Good luck with your project and please post photos of your progress.

BTW, the M274A4 was actually built as an M274A1 in 1963-64, and converted into an A4 model in 1964-65. Only A5's were built in 1968.

Last edited:

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progress report. Dug into it pretty good the last couple of weeks. First thing I did was order a full set of manuals then after some reading began work. Got the alignment correct drained and refilled all fluids, cleaned and relined the fuel tank, did a full tune up and fixed a couple good sized oil leaks. Its running like a top now and this weekend will get a motorpool ready paint job. I plan on doing a complete rebuild next winter but for now want to get some hours on it and see if anything else turns up. Also built a battery box. 20140326_200217.jpg20140326_200226.jpg20140410_180408.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks