• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New NY guy on the hunt for a mep-002a...

Chrispyny

​Ok guys im back. Been surfin here for reference while working on my 002a. I got a lot done so far. The generator looks very promising and it shows little wear in comparison to most pics i have seen of other 002a's with far more hours. I think the 89 hours on it are in fact original. injector pump moves freely and all related parts are also free moving.
Prolly within a week of starting it. I took a ton of pics but am having a hard time posting normal sized pics here. SS wants me to shrink the pics down to almost nothing, which makes them practically unviewable. Anyone have an idea ? I'm linking from photobucket?

Went to harbor freight and bought a small parts washer. It was broken. Went back, opened the last two in front of cashier, both broken. Sigh. Been oiling moving points, derusting with muriatic acid (i know i know, i have NO patience for anything else) , then priming for now, cleaning stuff, familiarizing myself with moving parts etc.

Couple questions. I may be missing the washer on the seperator/strainer cup. Strainer is inside, along with a bolt on the stem, then the cup, then acorn nut holding cup on to stem. Parts diagram on the TM shows a washer between cup and acorn nut. Is this rubber or brass ? If brass, what keeps oil from leaking past it ? I plan on the spin on kits for everything but i need to know it will run and produce power first. One step at a time. Filters on order and should be here in a couple days. Gotta stop at napa tomorrow for 2222 air filter.

Filled gas tank with a full can of degreaser and pressure washed at car wash. Unreal the difference. I have to derust with acid and then seal with caswells, all is looking good so far.

So, filters coming, acid wash and seal tank, wash tank fittings and bits with pressure washer when it come in later this week, flush fuel lines and fuel pump filters, And start her up.

Question, is there a way to prime the oiling system before starting the engine ? I'm sure all the oil drained out of the bearings and cyclinder walls long ago. I'd love to prime the oiling system first before running at any speed or even first start.

Also, for what ever reason, i can't get the page to load that shows in detail the starting procedure. Most of the TM loads for me but some pages are blank. I don't want to cause any damage during first start and would REALLY prefer to know exactly what i'm doing upon first start up.

Am i missing anything ?

Last edited:

Rapracing

​First of all, use white font. It is much easier to read.

Washer: I used a rubber washer with a stainless backup between the housing and acorn nut.

I would put the switch on prime and let it run for a few minutes and wait until you get fuel returning to the tank
Use glow plugs, depending on temp maybe up to 60 seconds
Hit the starter. Watch the oil pressure gauge. If you let the starter go before pressure comes up it will shut off.

I am sure others will have input here

Chainbreaker

How do i change font color ? I don''t know what i even did ?
Did you input your text initially in another application (word processor) and then cut and paste in here? If so, it picked up the font color from the original input method. You do have the font color option using the "A" drop down box initially and in edit when posting or editing.

Last edited:

steelypip

One NB on the muriatic (hydrochloric) acid. If you insist on using the stuff, be sure to soak the part in a weaker organic acid or a base afterward to get rid of the chlorine free radicals that will want to eat your parts forever. My personal favorite is phosphoric acid (metal prep, OsPho), but you can use washing soda or baking soda in a pinch as well.

Chrispyny

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ! ...

After working on her for a couple hours every night for a few weeks she runs ! ... I was worried because i tried starting her a couple times and i didnt even get white smoke .. then the third time i got white smoke with some black, and a spark shoot out of the 'close to run' cover area ... Fourth time she fired right up ! .. i only ran her for 30 seconds ... my frequency guage is pegged past 65 regardless of engine speed.. anyone know why ? .. i know because in the 30 seconds i tried three settings with throttle control and same thing ... ammeter is shot ( percent rated load ) and oil pressure guage is shot both due to water, which is why i only ran her for 30 seconds .. i need to know i have oil pressure before i can get her real good and hot ..
i know i have oil pressure because the little dribble of oil that remained in the oil filter canister when i went to replace filter was black .. and the oil right at the gauge when i removed it was mainly nice and clean with a couple streaks of the remnants of the old black stuff ..

2 things ..

MAN am i PSYCHED she runs !
man am i pissed i can't go and run her ass off right now not knowing for certain where my oil pressure is !!! .. DANG IT!

So i bought a onan oil pressure guage identical to mine off ebay a moment ago .. $42 bucks after shipping fees later, i should hopefully have my guage in within a week even tho the ebay listing said by april 10-17th !!!!

Once i get the pressure guage and ensure i have good oil pressure, i'll test lugs to ensure correct voltage, purchase the cool blue gauges from jimc, and spin on filters adapters this fall when i do its winter service ..

yay !

guage.jpg

YUK

Ray70

Isn't it a great feeling when it first fires up! On the Frequency meter being pegged, your transducer is probably dead.... ask me how I know..... Looks like a perfect candidate for Jimc's 3 pc. gage set!

Chrispyny

Isn't it a great feeling when it first fires up! On the Frequency meter being pegged, your transducer is probably dead.... ask me how I know..... Looks like a perfect candidate for Jimc's 3 pc. gage set!
Yea. I cant see trying to fix a ammeter and frequency meter. Just doesn't make sense. I'll definately be buying his gauge set just as soon as i get my oil pressure gauge, run her good and hot, and ensure she's makin juice properly. It only makes sense.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 002 and 003 sets without ASK are loud................. and an ASK or homebuilt equivalent would be necessary.

........... ASKs for the 002 are rare and expensive.

So if no-one is selling these ASKs, does anyone have either an off genny ASK to "copy", would be up for a load of dimensions/ and or pics, or the associated instalation TM/FM etc., that can be used for fabrication so that it is a reasonable facsimilie?

Would like to get my 003 covered/secured (tamper free) with the noise reduction a side benefit. Thanks

Chrispyny

So if no-one is selling these ASKs, does anyone have either an off genny ASK to "copy", would be up for a load of dimensions/ and or pics, or the associated instalation TM/FM etc., that can be used for fabrication so that it is a reasonable facsimilie?

Would like to get my 003 covered/secured (tamper free) with the noise reduction a side benefit. Thanks
If u want security, an ASK from what i understand will not provide it. I would suggest you weld up a steel cage for it for security, or build a generator shed around it with lockable access doors/panels.

AceHigh

I keep a Killawatt meter and plug it into the auxillary outlet on the generator and if I am running for hours I plug it into a house outlet. They are only $15 and show cycles per second and voltage, real handy to see while operating and it shows if the on-board gauges are working fine.

Chrispyny

I keep a Killawatt meter and plug it into the auxillary outlet on the generator and if I am running for hours I plug it into a house outlet. They are only $15 and show cycles per second and voltage, real handy to see while operating and it shows if the on-board gauges are working fine.
Where can i get one for $15? My local home depot wants $28+ for a kill a watt meter. Best i can find online is $22+ on amazon then shipping etc.

Chris good luck with your new genny, The 002's are great machines and will serve you well. Start it once a month and run it for a half hour, load test it at least quaterly. One thing i didn't see in any of your posts, do you have a well pump? my cousin has an 002 of mine and whern his well pump went on he had to do some serious load managment. Although he knows he needs to replace his pump you might want to keep it in mind if you have one. It can put quite a load on your genset. metalworker393

Chrispyny

Chris good luck with your new genny, The 002's are great machines and will serve you well. Start it once a month and run it for a half hour, load test it at least quaterly. One thing i didn't see in any of your posts, do you have a well pump? my cousin has an 002 of mine and whern his well pump went on he had to do some serious load managment. Although he knows he needs to replace his pump you might want to keep it in mind if you have one. It can put quite a load on your genset. metalworker393
Ty for the heads up MW, actually im on city water and most of my appliances are natural gas. The heaviest load will be in the summer with window a/c's running but all but they are all within 2 years old and fairly economical. Plus i'll be blowing in insulation in the attic next month and going from r19 to a total of approx r53+ so that should help tremendously with both heat in winter and a/c in summer. Also plan on radiant foil as well (huge in the summer).

Well i got my new oil pressure gauge in, installed, and ran the generator for a solid 20 min.
All is well. She does NOT like to start with throttle set at 60 hz. I have to throttle down to 50-55 then she starts right up, then quickly pull out the throttle and adjust with a few quick turns to 61+\-. However she runs great. I had a twin halogen lamp i hooked up to the convenience outlet and with a kill a watt meter i bought at home depot for $28+ tax, determined i had a 560 watt load on her and she didn't even sound any different. I know that isn't much but it's all i had.
Oil pressure ran at 39-40 but i really didn't get her VERY hot. I doubt the pressure will go down much more at 100% operating temp. All though the unit has rust from being stored outdoors with no cover for years, i really think the 89 hours on the hour meter could possibly be true to the unit.
Over all i'm happy. I wish my ammeter and frequency meter worked. I love the original look of the analog meters but it would not be financially responsible for me to attempt a replacement of the ammeter percent rated load (totally rusted out from water intrusion) and a repair of the transducer for the frequency meter. I guess i'll be buying a set of jims digital guages. At least they are bad ass looking.

What does it take to repair a transducer anyway ? I googled the transducer but came up with nothing? Nevermind, aint worth it. Back to original plan. Jims gauges.

Anyone here ever build a generator shed for an 002 or 003? mine will be on a pad outside and in some type of lean to encloser at minimum. Anyone got pics of thiers ?

Last edited:

Isaac-1

The throttling issue sounds like you may have a timing problem with the injection pump or a problem with the diesel injectors.

Ike

p.s. I suspect a lot of people will be upgrading to Jim's digital gauges soon, so there may soon be people selling working used load meter gauges

sorry don't know how the double post happened