• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NEW OE STYLE ISOLATED GROUND CUCV 12 VOLT 100 AMP ALTERNATOR

Rassmuss

What if OE equipment isn't available? Would the mentioned units be decent replacements? New M1031 owner here and the truck is missing alternators, starter and batteries. I was looking at these myself.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What if OE equipment isn't available? Would the mentioned units be decent replacements? New M1031 owner here and the truck is missing alternators, starter and batteries. I was looking at these myself.

They should be...check the site that was posted above that has the rebuild kits...they may have one available as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MarcusOReallyus

Hi, Rasmuss, welcome to the site. :beer:

You'll need to make sure that one of them is configured for isolated ground, or you will have smoke! That's assuming that your truck is stock, and has not been converted to 12v operation.

I suggest you do 4 things:

1. Go to the top of the forum, and click on the "Helpful Threads" sticky there. You'll find a TON of good information, including a basic outline of how the 24v system works. You really need to have a basic grasp of this or you could make expensive mistakes.
  2. While you're there, just read down the list of what's there. That way, when you have a question, you will know what's already there for you.
  3. Start a new thread and post pictures of the wiring you have. The battery wiring is most important. We can help you figure out if your truck has been converted to 12v or if it's still 24v. You need to know this before you hook up any batteries.
  4. Download the Technical Manuals (TMs). They are FREE! Read more about them here.

Keith_J

They appear to be serviceable replacements. Like most offshore parts, they are copies with variable quality from OE items. But they can work.
I've bought starters for my vehicles which came with full test reports and work like new. In my car, the new starter cured the problem with an Auto Zone rebuilt unit and at half the price. 6 months of daily driving with no signs of giving up.

I'm running DB Electrical starters now and looking to snag the DB Electrical isolated negative alternator for a road spare. Plus overhaul kits. Alternators need the highest quality bearings and brushes..starters can deal with slop.

I can sometimes inspect items at work..a perk that cannot be priced.

Last edited:

Keith_J

I decided to spend a little money and try one of these offshore alternators, if only as an emergency road spare.

My official relocation road trip starts the day after Christmas. Item arrives in 4 days so there will be a review.

Keith_J

Finally arrived..from a warehouse I don't recognize as one of the 264 in the network..appears to be a drop ship.

Isolated negative with tach output and SAE mounting pad threading. Has a testing output graph, 100 amperes at 2600 RPM and 121 amps at 6000 RPM. Fascinating and probably at 11.5 volts but if it works..

The fan is a low harmonic variable pitch affair. Lower noise good. But the pulley is a 2-5/8", stock is 3 inches. So either shorter belts or field swap. No biggie with an impact wrench. I have a spare somewhere in my pile of despair..found the fan, rotor and case but sleep is calling. 6 more days and a wakeup until the vacation hits. And then after Christmas, a 3 to 4 day trek to Arizona for the promotion..corporate office job.

For this 970 mile trek, I have a 55 gallon drum of D2 in the SECM box, spare alternator, spare starter with ARP bolt set, new bracket and fasteners. Batteries tested great, new heater core, no leaks. 36k original miles on the CUCV (M1031 SECM, full functional generator and compressor) plus all the tools. Towing a 30 foot travel trailer.

2AForever

Has anyone ordered and used this alternator, Im looking for a 84 M1009 alternator.
any suggestions or help apprechiated.

Or where could I find a rebuild kit?

Rare Electrical - OE STYLE ISOLATED GROUND CUCV 12 VOLT 100 AMP ALT
I went ahead and ordered the rare electrical alt, and a rebuild kit, plan is to pull the new looking remy alt
and drop in the rare electrical, and rebuild the remy. Ive received the rebuild kit. no bearings tho, didn't really think about it.

Winter is around the corner here in North Texas, just had the pin hole? Radiator leaks repaired, also replaced the steering gear and rag joint.

in the mean time imma charge the battery, its at the low green mark

Keith_J

What I have noticed from the Chinese imports is a lot of multi level marketing..same item made in one factory is imported under several brands. Rare Electrical and DB Electrical have the exact same 27 SI isolated negative alternator..

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I have noticed from the Chinese imports is a lot of multi level marketing..same item made in one factory is imported under several brands. Rare Electrical and DB Electrical have the exact same 27 SI isolated negative alternator..
Those companies are buying from a common importer so they would all have the same thing. WAI's is probably the biggest importer, and their website has the same alternator as in the link in the first post. The only difference was the color of the insulators which could have been the picture. That kind of thing can also change depending on the component vendor. I would not be surprised if the alternator came from WAI.

2AForever

Has anyone ordered and used this alternator, Im looking for a 84 M1009 alternator.
any suggestions or help apprechiated.

Or where could I find a rebuild kit?

Rare Electrical - OE STYLE ISOLATED GROUND CUCV 12 VOLT 100 AMP ALT
I went ahead and installed the (gen 1) rare electrical alternator. When it came to the ground
wire connection I installed it on where the same bolt the bad alt was. Turn key on and no (gen 1) light, so I
switched it to the other bolt, I turn the key on and both gen lights on, and engine cranks up as it should
and both gen lights off.

My question is, what is this bad remy alternator that was in there? Is this someones attempt
at saving some money and did some kind of conversion? Side by Side pics below. Nevertheless it was
a learning experience, from testing to finding the problem, getting the part, and installation.

Plan is order another rare electric, place it on standby, rebuild the remy (maybe) and find the actually bad component.

Is the remy worth rebuilding? or should I save the rebuild kit for future use, to me the remy is an oddball, like
it doesn't belong. Am I wrong? or is it how they used to build them?

Attachments

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went ahead and installed the (gen 1) rare electrical alternator. When it came to the ground
wire connection I installed it on where the same bolt the bad alt was. Turn key on and no (gen 1) light, so I
switched it to the other bolt, I turn the key on and both gen lights on, and engine cranks up as it should
and both gen lights off.

My question is, what is this bad remy alternator that was in there? Is this someones attempt
at saving some money and did some kind of conversion? Side by Side pics below. Nevertheless it was
a learning experience, from testing to finding the problem, getting the part, and installation.

Plan is order another rare electric, place it on standby, rebuild the remy (maybe) and find the actually bad component.

Is the remy worth rebuilding? or should I save the rebuild kit for future use, to me the remy is an oddball, like
it doesn't belong. Am I wrong? or is it how they used to build them?
The alternator on the left is not isolated ground and is not original to the truck.

2AForever

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of these are coming from the same wholesaler, either directly or indirectly. Thats why they have the same sheave.

The smaller diameter sheave is so it charges better at low rpm. I'm sure the original size part number is posted somewhere if someone wanted to change it. If you have an original, swap it and report wether or not the alternator works with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks