• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New oil pump today..Oil light staying on?

TyJustice

How long does it take for the oil to reach the sensor?

Let motor run for about a minute and light is failing to turn.

Any thoughts..

Hope it's not a bad pump.:|

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull your vac pump and prime the pump and oil system manually.

Did you prime the oil pump before or after you installed it?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you replace/swap the pickup tube? Is it pressed or brazed on?

Is it at the correct height?

I'm guessing you changed your oil pump, but I only see it mentioned in the title.

Is it a new pump?

Why did you change it?

TyJustice

Pull your vac pump and prime the pump and oil system manually.

Did you prime the oil pump before or after you installed it?
No I didn't.

I was under possibly the wrong impression that the pump would self prime.

What size fitting will I need to engage the gear to prime the pump?

Thanks

TyJustice

Did you replace/swap the pickup tube? Is it pressed or brazed on?

Is it at the correct height?

I'm guessing you changed your oil pump, but I only see it mentioned in the title.

Is it a new pump?

Why did you change it?
Oil pan had a leak, so I changed the oil pump while I was in there. New Pump pick up tube was a press on.

I matched the angle of the tube to the one being replaced. The new one did have a smaller arm and pick up cup though.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the 6.2 pump has a 5/16" hex drive. If that's correct, pull the vac pump and tape together enough extensions and a socket, and crank it with a drill(CW).

You could look at your old pump to verify the drive input.

Attachments

Last edited:

TyJustice

Help us out here.

How did you end up priming the pump? Steps for other people to follow.
No problem.

After - I was done tearing apart my tool box, garage, truck and multiple junk drawers to find a long enough extension to turn the oil pump manually via the vac pump, I came up empty.

Now - do to having a few beers while the search was taking place I blame my impaired ability to make rational decisions on what I did next. Furthermore, do liability concerns, I must state, that I do not suggest nor advise any members of this site or the reading public to following what I have done.

So - with my local Napa closed and a couple hours of analysis on my part of why the pump is not priming I figured out in my mind the problem and went about fixing it.

Next - I climbed into that comfortable vinyl bucket seat and let the glow plugs heat, turned the key and the old man came to life. The oil light was still as red as ever and then I put my plan into action to solve this particular problem. I rapidly extended my right foot and planted it against the fire wall with the pedal in between them. Since I don't have a tach I'm unsure of the exact rpm the oil light finally turned off, but you'll have to trust me I reached the rpm limit of the 6.2. Well, can't fully be sure of that do to the fact that when the oil light finally yielded to my demands the motor stopped and it did smell a little hot.

Finally – it seems I did fix the initial problem with pump not priming, but know it looks like the starter is acting up, because it’s failing the turn the motor over. Well, on to the next issue and I hope to have it running this weekend! Your prayers are always welcome..

On a serious note: Little bored today! :beer:

I picked up a longer extension this morning and pulled the vac pump and primed the pump via a power drill.

Spun the drill for about 10-15 seconds checked the light and the pump did finally prime.

It could be me, but the motor did seem to smooth out considerably with the new pump.

Thanks to Doghead for the diagram and 197thhhc for your suggestion.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I don't have a tach I'm unsure of the exact rpm the oil light finally turned off, but you'll have to trust me I reached the rpm limit of the 6.2.
I almost stopped reading (in disgust) at this point. You got me!:oops: