• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner from new mexico.

NovacaineFix

Was wondering if anyone have a list of tools they suggest I get once in ohio for the trip?
Well, to be honest, you would need a lot of tools to cover every possible situation, but that would not be feasible to your wallet.

What I would suggest is just the tools to take care of your basic breakdown scenarios that you can fix on the side of the road. What I mean, is:
- a decent set of 3/8" and 1/2" sockets with ratchets and a breaker bar
- a set of sockets for the lug nuts and a really long breaker bar for that
- a 12-ton bottle jack (minimum)
- several pieces of 2x6 wood to place under the bottle jack (just in case you are pulled over on the side of the road with soft pack dirt)
- a good assortment of open-end wrenches
- at least 1 flat-head screwdriver and a #2 phillips driver
- multi-meter for any electrical diagnosis
- a BAPB, a big ** pry bar ( rules won't allow me to insert the 2nd word, but you get it)

This would be my basic list, I know it sounds like a lot of stuff, but it really isn't.
There are more tools I would carry for a long trip, but having spares of several items often helps as well.
Your local Harbor Freight would have all this, for not a lot of $$, not the best tools, but okay for a road trip.

But the most important tool you can carry no matter the length of the trip:

1 roll of Toilet Paper, DO NOT forget that!

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, to be honest, you would need a lot of tools to cover every possible situation, but that would not be feasible to your wallet.

What I would suggest is just the tools to take care of your basic breakdown scenarios that you can fix on the side of the road. What I mean, is:
- a decent set of 3/8" and 1/2" sockets with ratchets and a breaker bar
- a set of sockets for the lug nuts and a really long breaker bar for that
- a 12-ton bottle jack (minimum)
- several pieces of 2x6 wood to place under the bottle jack (just in case you are pulled over on the side of the road with soft pack dirt)
- a good assortment of open-end wrenches
- at least 1 flat-head screwdriver and a #2 phillips driver
- multi-meter for any electrical diagnosis
- a BAPB, a big ** pry bar ( rules won't allow me to insert the 2nd word, but you get it)

This would be my basic list, I know it sounds like a lot of stuff, but it really isn't.
There are more tools I would carry for a long trip, but having spares of several items often helps as well.
Your local Harbor Freight would have all this, for not a lot of $$, not the best tools, but okay for a road trip.

But the most important tool you can carry no matter the length of the trip:

1 roll of Toilet Paper, DO NOT forget that!
2 jacks, as one probably doesn't have enough travel to lift the truck high enough to Change a super single.

Everybody's list is slightly different. I'm a minimalist. I carry basic tools and the stuff that's specific to these trucks. Everything else I simply pick up from the o'reilly nearest the truck if it's needed.

NovacaineFix

True, True. I agree.

I am the type that likes to bring more than what I need, because if I don't, that 1 wrench I didn't bring will be the one that fits exactly what is broken or needs turning.

Also for the jack, that is what the 2x6's are for, 1 ground support and height adjustment for the bottle jack

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my experience with the bottle jack:

tire is flat, truck is sitting really low. I start the bottle jack with the adjustable screw top all the way down and the piston fully retracted. I jack the truck to the limits of the bottle jack. It isn't high enough to put a super single on. I'm sitting there with a couple of boards that I can't put under the jack because the truck is on the jack....

But if I have a 2nd jack, now I can start jack #2 with the adjuster screwed out, or boards under it, or both. I can now lift the truck that much further, which frees up jack #1 if I need a 3rd lift....

Edit - unfortunately I have a lot of experience changing flat super singles.

Last edited:

Desertshark

So update on my new toy... the night before I was to fly out I got an email saying the truck was starting to have trouble running . So canceled flight and everything so would not be stuck... owner said he belive it was the lift pump. Was going to try to find a mechanic to work on and diagnosis to try and fix issue before I fly out to Ohio to pick it up... I will be getting an update some time next week and will go from there I guess...