• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner from new mexico.

NovacaineFix

Was wondering if anyone have a list of tools they suggest I get once in ohio for the trip?
Well, to be honest, you would need a lot of tools to cover every possible situation, but that would not be feasible to your wallet.

What I would suggest is just the tools to take care of your basic breakdown scenarios that you can fix on the side of the road. What I mean, is:
- a decent set of 3/8" and 1/2" sockets with ratchets and a breaker bar
- a set of sockets for the lug nuts and a really long breaker bar for that
- a 12-ton bottle jack (minimum)
- several pieces of 2x6 wood to place under the bottle jack (just in case you are pulled over on the side of the road with soft pack dirt)
- a good assortment of open-end wrenches
- at least 1 flat-head screwdriver and a #2 phillips driver
- multi-meter for any electrical diagnosis
- a BAPB, a big ** pry bar ( rules won't allow me to insert the 2nd word, but you get it)

This would be my basic list, I know it sounds like a lot of stuff, but it really isn't.
There are more tools I would carry for a long trip, but having spares of several items often helps as well.
Your local Harbor Freight would have all this, for not a lot of $$, not the best tools, but okay for a road trip.

But the most important tool you can carry no matter the length of the trip:

1 roll of Toilet Paper, DO NOT forget that!

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, to be honest, you would need a lot of tools to cover every possible situation, but that would not be feasible to your wallet.

What I would suggest is just the tools to take care of your basic breakdown scenarios that you can fix on the side of the road. What I mean, is:
- a decent set of 3/8" and 1/2" sockets with ratchets and a breaker bar
- a set of sockets for the lug nuts and a really long breaker bar for that
- a 12-ton bottle jack (minimum)
- several pieces of 2x6 wood to place under the bottle jack (just in case you are pulled over on the side of the road with soft pack dirt)
- a good assortment of open-end wrenches
- at least 1 flat-head screwdriver and a #2 phillips driver
- multi-meter for any electrical diagnosis
- a BAPB, a big ** pry bar ( rules won't allow me to insert the 2nd word, but you get it)

This would be my basic list, I know it sounds like a lot of stuff, but it really isn't.
There are more tools I would carry for a long trip, but having spares of several items often helps as well.
Your local Harbor Freight would have all this, for not a lot of $$, not the best tools, but okay for a road trip.

But the most important tool you can carry no matter the length of the trip:

1 roll of Toilet Paper, DO NOT forget that!
2 jacks, as one probably doesn't have enough travel to lift the truck high enough to Change a super single.

Everybody's list is slightly different. I'm a minimalist. I carry basic tools and the stuff that's specific to these trucks. Everything else I simply pick up from the o'reilly nearest the truck if it's needed.

NovacaineFix

True, True. I agree.

I am the type that likes to bring more than what I need, because if I don't, that 1 wrench I didn't bring will be the one that fits exactly what is broken or needs turning.

Also for the jack, that is what the 2x6's are for, 1 ground support and height adjustment for the bottle jack

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my experience with the bottle jack:

tire is flat, truck is sitting really low. I start the bottle jack with the adjustable screw top all the way down and the piston fully retracted. I jack the truck to the limits of the bottle jack. It isn't high enough to put a super single on. I'm sitting there with a couple of boards that I can't put under the jack because the truck is on the jack....

But if I have a 2nd jack, now I can start jack #2 with the adjuster screwed out, or boards under it, or both. I can now lift the truck that much further, which frees up jack #1 if I need a 3rd lift....

Edit - unfortunately I have a lot of experience changing flat super singles.

Last edited:

Desertshark

So update on my new toy... the night before I was to fly out I got an email saying the truck was starting to have trouble running . So canceled flight and everything so would not be stuck... owner said he belive it was the lift pump. Was going to try to find a mechanic to work on and diagnosis to try and fix issue before I fly out to Ohio to pick it up... I will be getting an update some time next week and will go from there I guess...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks