• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner from new mexico.

Desertshark

New owner of a 1991 m931 a2. It is located in ohio. So after thanksgiving was gonna fly out and drive 1500 miles home to albuquerque. I will not lie I am freaking excited for this toy. Since driving back from Ohio was wondering any advice on what to watch out for. Like if I have to go into state port authority and such when I cross boarders from state to state. And such any advice would be greatly appreciate thanks in advance !!!!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not stop at any weight scales and they have never come after me.
Have done two Recovery's from Ohio to South Carolina and no problems with any kind of law.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Welcome.

its a gray area that has started heated debates on here before. You're non-commercial. Not loaded. But you do meet the other requirements (air brakes and GVW capability).

My suggestions is cut your hair, shave, look presentable, don't drive like a jerk, eyes straight and keep going.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not along the lines of legality but be prepared for tire failure. If any of the tires show signs of sitting flat, plan on replacements before you leave or carry many spares. CTIS equipped trucks (A2s) are bad about this. Make sure the steer tires are the best tires in your possession. Obviously, you must have everything required to change a flat on the road with you.

If the truck is running satisfactorily, I would not touch the fuel tank selector valve. Leave it in whatever position it is in until you are home and able to work on it if you have issues.

Post your intended route and somewhat specific travel dates in case you have issues that fellow members may be able to help with.

After this successful drive, cruising down I-25 to Elephant Butte for the Luminaria walk on December 12th (see upcoming events) should be easy-peasy. Good Luck.

AZK9

... any advice on what to watch out for. Like if I have to go into state port authority and such when I cross boarders from state to state. ...
Since the time I seriously started looking into getting an M35A2, I've had the same question. I've sought out some kind of
constant law or rule, especially since I plan to drive my deuce cross-country at some point. I've even asked several LEO's
and gotten different responses. It's a confusing issue.

M920

Welcome from Chama, New Mexico!
Obviously, since NM requires a VIN inspection, you can not get it licensed before you get it here. I would make sure though, that you get liability insurance for the trip!
I agree with the previous posters, that the "Port of Entry" stops are a "grey area". I have tried to stop at all the scales, when I first started to recover military trucks, but ran in to problems sometimes. Most places don't know what to do with us, so they either just let you go (good scenario) or they keep you there and try to find whatever they can write you up for until you are parked and have to call a wrecker service to tow you off the premises. (very bad scenario)
So I have not stopped at port of entry facilities since those days. As mentioned above: clean up, drive courteous and obey the law.....you should not have any problems.

Good luck and I'd be happy to PM you my phone number in case you run in to any problems. Just send me a PM if you are interested.

Soni

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Since the time I seriously started looking into getting an M35A2, I've had the same question. I've sought out some kind of
constant law or rule, especially since I plan to drive my deuce cross-country at some point. I've even asked several LEO's
and gotten different responses. It's a confusing issue.
Your deuce is a 2.5 ton with max on road capacity of 5 ton. Figure a M35A2 w/w and you're almost 15K of just vehicle. So absolute max would be 25K. Doubt you hit that unless you're carrying gold or lead bars. I once towed my M1061 and with the deuce loaded and crossed a CAT scale at a truck stop to get my weight for moving. I had all my tools and a bunch of other heavy stuff on it. I hit 32K...yep over. I very seriously doubt anyone else would be hauling such a load. The magical number is 26,001 pounds. At that point, you're in CDL range.

Also, you do not have full air brakes. Your brake system is air over hydraulic.

For a deuce it's not an issue. For a 5 ton.......

snakeyes

hi and welcome to the site congrats on your purchase ,tools ,credit cards and cash and a good cell phone and phone numbers for help ,should not be a problem if truck was maintained but for a truck in need of maintenance is another issue have a safe trip maybe line up members on the way for pit stops .:popcorn:

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site and th hobby. Congratulations on your acquisition. And Brave for undertaking such a long trip. Take all the advise posted previously. Good luck. Post reports and pictures of your trip.

Desertshark

I will post route dates and pictures. I may pm a few for numbers if need help. The trip is nor that bad . As to the weight I should be ok... I drive a semi for yrc so have the license part covered.... a bit worried with the tire issue since need to inspect . I know it has one spare. If I do need more tires guess I will have to find a source before I leave.. I know I should be leaving from Columbus Ohio with it on Monday November 30th... all I know is it will be fun !

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
congrats on the purchase Desertshark they are great trucks and very comfortable to drive long distance. Like was stated earlier look the tires over good especially since it is an A2 and has CTIS there is a good chance that it has sat on flat tires for awhile and this will spell nothing but disaster for your long trip on those tires. The trucks are heavy and very hard on tires with no air in them! Besides the tires and the CTIS system itself its a good reliable truck, you know the routine check ALL the fluids and lubricants including transfer case and differentials, because of the recovery distance I would also bring a grease gun and a few tubes and lube the driveline as needed before you start out. Great trucks and like I said earlier very comfortable and will cruise 55 or just a shade over and be on the edge of the governor, on the edge NOT into it! Have a great trip.
Karl

NovacaineFix

Congrats, Good Luck and Have a Safe trip back home.

I can't add anything else, that the others haven't already. Just assume the worst case scenario and hope for the best outcome, that's all.

Post pics of your road trip no matter the situation, either way, it's good info fo the rest of the group.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Ctis you just need to know how to work on it.
I have 2 A2s and it works perfectly.
Had to totally put one system back on because parts were robbed.
My buddy has also got 2 A2s and his works.
It is great tool to have when off road and in the deep.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome.

its a gray area that has started heated debates on here before. You're non-commercial. Not loaded. But you do meet the other requirements (air brakes and GVW capability).

My suggestions is cut your hair, shave, look presentable, don't drive like a jerk, eyes straight and keep going.
I agree with CARNAC!

When I bought my deuce I called weigh stations in northern Utah, southern Utah, northern Arizona, southern Idaho, Wyoming, and eastern Nevada. I generally spoke to a state trooper at each one. The message I received from each was the same, that if I was not commercial nothing else applied. Since then I REALLY wish those super confusing signs on the Interstates would read "All Commercial 10,000+ lbs GVW..." instead of just "All Trucks 10,000+ lbs GVW..."

MtnSnow

First off Hello and welcome from another Utahn.

I drive right by weigh stations except when I'm driving our civilian cattle truck as we are required to be checked because of the animals which gets confusing because they usually get all mad and wave me on when I pull in with the horse trailer behind our pickups.....lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks