• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner in north Louisiana!!

orgnal

Just picked up a 87 M998 today!! Look forward to fixing it up and making it my dream vehicle!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just noticed that the exhaust pipe is coming out behind the rear wheel like in the civilian model instead of in front of the rear wheel. Is that how you got it or did you change it?

McReddy

bchoate66

Just noticed that the exhaust pipe is coming out behind the rear wheel like in the civilian model instead of in front of the rear wheel. Is that how you got it or did you change it?

McReddy
That’s how I got it, I was wondering the same thing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bchoate66

Welcome from the Big Easy!

Nice truck. I wonder if it was a shelter carrier and that is why they routed the pipe to the back?
I was told it was a comms truck, so you may be right. And we need to get together some time, I’ve been following ur build thread, and would love to talk shop.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was told it was a comms truck, so you may be right. And we need to get together some time, I’ve been following ur build thread, and would love to talk shop.

I would be glad to help and share.

I do have a 2 man bulkhead with all the brackets.

Dock Rocker

Get out your reading glasses and your wallet! This is a great place to get some knowledge.

Welcome from MIssissippi.

NormB

I’m looking to make it a 4 man, you wouldn’t happen to have that bulkhead and brackets would you?

THAT bulkhead's getting pretty pricey. I picked one up recently - about $250. The brackets? Another $200 but I'm fabricating a set using 2" ID aluminum C-channel instead. The nuts and bolts I think I got from macmotors.com when I ordered some other stuff.

Start with the parts manual. NSN-now.com is your friend but not everyone links to it.

DO price-shop. In no particular order I'll get a part # and go through hummerpartsguy.com, macmotors.com, real4wd.com (kascar), easternsurplus.com, midwestauto (?), ePay, Eriksmilitarysurplus and there's 3 or 4 more sites too. I've been pleasantly surprised at times to find parts that were going to cost boocoo duckies ($$$$$) at dollar store prices. It pays to be patient and shop around, and ask around HERE.

86Humv, JuanPrado, TNriverjet EvilDrPorkchop and a few others have given me great deals in the past year.

Post your "want to buy" in that forum on classifieds, you'll be surprised.

Norm

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought mine off ebay. He has since gone up on price. My challenge was that unit had sloppy welds and seams and did not fit the OE channels without banging scraping, or grinding it.

It was very disappointing when I went to install and thought I had won the lottery as I sourced the 2 brackets cheap from separate sources. I did not complain or make ebay claim as I tend to source parts for future projects but my actual schedule to get it done is lets say much slower.... 10 months + had passed and I did not think it fair to cry foul so late in the game. But it burned me up as I found multiple references on net to the same problem from the same vendor......

86humv makes a repro bracket set that is slightly wider and fits the "bad" bulkheads perfectly.

I sold off the OE brackets a while back and can not help.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks