• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner m1009 but problems already

marbaja252

BOUGHT TRUCK E-BAY SCARY. RUST FREE m1009 , RUNS GREAT AND RUNS STRONG. AFTER DRIVING AWHILE 5-10 MIN HEAD LIGHTS, GAUGES, T/S BRAKES ALL OUT WOULD NOT TURN BACK ON. HAD TO DRIVE BACK QUICK ON FOG LIGHT OWNER ADDED.

DID ALL I KNOW WTIH THIS TRUCK BUT NO LIGHTS. HAVE GREAT m35A3 FOR 3 YEAR SO NOT NEW TO THE MV PROGRAM.

AFTER SITTING 10 MIN ALL WORKS AGIAN WHAT THE heck? STILL TEST DRIVING AND CLEANING OUT OLD OWNERS CRAPPY WIRING.

ANY EASY STUFF TO LOOK AT?

THANK GUYS

Last edited by a moderator:

DREDnot

That's where my lighting issues were coming from.
Missing a jumper wire in the dangling blackout connectors.
PO(?) removed the B/O switches.

cucvrus

30 amp fuse is loose in the fuse box. Common problem. Cleanup connections at fuse. I have removed the fuse block and cleaned it up and have had success. Some beyond that and need an in line fuse put in place. Actually 2 inline fuses are served from that leg in the fuse box. Good Luck. Sounds minor. common problem. Lots of help available.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

In my early days with CUCVs (which always seem to have electrical gremlins), I tended to start with the complex answers to questions, like swapping blackout light switches, etc.
Then I figured out the fuse box was the source of many of my problems, the most common being corroded or just plain loose fuse holders. One explanation for this might be someone adding an additional power tap at some point by shoving a spade connector in next to the fuse.
Check/clean all of those connectors, and pinch them a little closer together. Best to go ahead and replace old fuses with new ones (they're inexpensive!).

Once you've done that, if your problems persist, start the more complex troubleshooting.

Cheers

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely also look at whatever else was added to the factory wiring.
Who knows what else you’ll find to fix.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also always use quality fuses. The cheap made in China versions they sell at Harbor Freight can cause issues.

Many of the common repair tips can be found in the Helpful Threads sticky at the top of the CUCV forum

MarcusOReallyus

Then I figured out the fuse box was the source of many of my problems, the most common being corroded or just plain loose fuse holders. One explanation for this might be someone adding an additional power tap at some point by shoving a spade connector in next to the fuse.
Check/clean all of those connectors, and pinch them a little closer together. Best to go ahead and replace old fuses with new ones (they're inexpensive!).

Once you've done that, if your problems persist, start the more complex troubleshooting.
Excellent advice. [thumbzup]

marbaja252:

1. Don't add anything to that fuse box. It's already badly under-designed.
  2. If someone else did, re-do it so that it's not putting a load on that fuse box. Figure out what was added, and how, and start a new thread. Some of us will walk you through removing the butchery and then doing it right.
  3. Read the stickies.
  4. Please STOP SHOUTING. It's rude to type in ALL CAPS.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also always use quality fuses. The cheap made in China versions they sell at Harbor Freight can cause issues.
My understanding on those was that they often failed to burn out when the designated amperage was exceeded, so something further down the electrical line had to instead. That kinda negates the purpose of a fuse!

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks