• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner - M1009

pacebm

I finally found an M1009:). I have looked at several, both private seller and GL but I found this one on GovDeals. It is a 1985 with 6k miles. I went and looked at it last week in Tennessee. No rust issues and everything works except the glow plugs. I will have to diagnose the problem once I get it home. I buy a lot of MV's to sell but I am excited because this one is MINE, i.e. not for sale. It has been a long hunt and I can't wait to pick it up. Here are some pictures and I am sure I will be asking all the newb questions because this is my first CUCV. I'll get some better pictures when I pick it up.

Attachments

pacebm

I actually believe the 6000 miles. When I looked it over, it was almost perfect. Been owned by a police department for several years and they said that they only put about 500 miles on it. I could have got screwed but for $2500 I am happy. A rough 1009 sold last week at redstone for closer to $3k and GovDeals is a lot easier to deal with than GL. 5% fee and no EUC.:beer:

SmokeyDod

Looks like a good blazer & hope you have good luck with it. I looked at it also and started to bid BUT look at the odometer. Notice that it has 6 digits + tenths. Back at that time all of them had only the 5 digits so when it rolled over to 100,000 miles it would go back to 0 miles. I am not saying it rolled over but what happening when the odometer or maybe even the speedometer cable went bad, the motor pool would replace the odometer gauge with a new one and let it start over again. So if your M1009 odometer went out at say 40,000 miles, you now have approx. 46,000 miles. I can't believe the sherif's dept would put that as "actual miles" then if I remember right they put in ( ) out beside mileage this (actual miles - YES). If we did that when reselling a vehicle, we could be fined thousands of $$$$ and jail time as you state that on back of title when reselling it.

Barrman

Glad you found what you were looking for. Read the CUCV sticky threads, the manuals and if you really want to know them. Open up the CUCV forum, go the the last thread from way back when and read every single one up to today. Starters, alternators, glow plugs and IP's will be the main topics of discussion. Read about them, understand them and you won't have much of a problem fixing them.

pacebm

Whether it has 106k or 6k the thing is mine now! :lol:
I have a lot of reading in my future but it's good to be part of the CUCV crowd! I look forward to getting to know you guys, and yes, I know how to use the search function at the top of the page.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Advanced search work so much better.....:D

I was looking at the truck on GovDeals also. I didn't bid because I have enough projects already and the wife would put me out of HER missory.

pacebm

My wife is actually out of town on business and won't be home until Friday. I was going to surprise her with the new purchase but I have 7 and 9 year old girls; it took them about 5 seconds on Skype to let the cat out of the bag. Wife seemed OK but we will see..................

Looks like a good blazer & hope you have good luck with it. I looked at it also and started to bid BUT look at the odometer. Notice that it has 6 digits + tenths. Back at that time all of them had only the 5 digits so when it rolled over to 100,000 miles it would go back to 0 miles. I am not saying it rolled over but what happening when the odometer or maybe even the speedometer cable went bad, the motor pool would replace the odometer gauge with a new one and let it start over again. So if your M1009 odometer went out at say 40,000 miles, you now have approx. 46,000 miles. I can't believe the sherif's dept would put that as "actual miles" then if I remember right they put in ( ) out beside mileage this (actual miles - YES). If we did that when reselling a vehicle, we could be fined thousands of $$$$ and jail time as you state that on back of title when reselling it.
I was wondering if anyone else noticed that the odometer looked odd :-D....nice find though! You probably did alright at 2500 if it's rust free! Congrats!

pacebm

Well I picked up the 1009 today and I was not very happy. One of the county maintenance men thought they needed the pintle hitch so he torched it off. I looked at it a couple of weeks ago and it was there. After a lot of discussion, they were very nice and made it up to me but now I need a rear pintle / bumper. I will post pictures tomorrow since it is already dark outside. Also a small spot of rust at the bottom of the tailgate that I didn't notice before but should be easy to fix.

On a good note the rest of it looks good except one crack on the hood and a lot of radio wiring inside. Definitely needs glowplug work, I will be checking that out over the next few days.

Cranked easily with a little ether and ran very well. No noticeable leaks. Recovery was fairly uneventful since I hauled it back on a trailer.