• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner of a 1985 HMMWV M998 in Virginia Beach

Darrellr

I just picked this up Sunday night. Runs like a top. Tons of extras, X doors, soft doors, Pick up conversion, Wagon top, winter soft top and much more.

I have to get hinges to mount the rear doors, paint for the brown, green, and black, and locate a working radio to make this look complete.

any concerns regarding an 85? Can anyone educate me on what I have?

Thanks

Attachments

Awol

Badass!

I really like the wagon top. Theres nothing wrong with an 85 as opposed to the later years. There are small changes over the lifetime of the Humvee, but for the most part they're all similar.

You have 12 bolt wheels with 37" radials, where the earlier trucks had 8 bolt's on 36's, so that's an improvement! The driver side tire is backwards though.

Darrellr

Thank you so much. I got it Sunday and have not pulled it out to lol at all the spare karts stuffed inside.

I'll definately look at the tire this weekend. Will a standard floor jack lift the truck.

Any good leads on commander seats or a functional radio would be helpful.

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
*Very* nice truck sir. You will enjoy. There's lots of good info to read on experiences of others in the HMMWV section.

ohaniazx

Functional radio could mean a lot of things.. what era of HMMWV's transition in the radio field. VRC-12 series? rt-524 and r-442 receiver with AB-15 antenna, RT-524 with mx-6707 antenna and its elements, SINCGARS series , rt-1439 (early version), with AS-3900, , RT-1524 up to c version?, later smaller form factor ones? these are not all but some, didn't cover the satellite radios, or uHF ones like prc-113.
As you go down the food chain it gets expensive; Then you throw in vic-3 on top...
Z

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks