• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner of a AM General M936 Wrecker in Oklahoma

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok guys the new truck got home 6am this morning!
Looks like it was at Red River Depot - TACOM in 2008 and has only had about 800 miles since it was in 2008
Can anyone help me figure out a couple things with this truck?
1. What unit and where it came from?
W81JTH
2. What year this truck was made, Red River did not stamp the delivery date on the new plate.
NL0AF C53600214
3. Where do I find a list of what filters it uses? ie. oil, air, hyd, air dryer, water they are all painted over!
Thank you!
There is a vin thread in the conversation section for you to post that information. Red river does not always mean a total rebuild

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok guys the new truck got home 6am this morning!
Looks like it was at Red River Depot - TACOM in 2008 and has only had about 800 miles since it was in 2008
Can anyone help me figure out a couple things with this truck?
1. What unit and where it came from?
W81JTH
2. What year this truck was made, Red River did not stamp the delivery date on the new plate.
NL0AF C53600214
3. Where do I find a list of what filters it uses? ie. oil, air, hyd, air dryer, water they are all painted over!
Thank you!
1 and 2 : post your information in this thread , be sure to follow directions in post#1 and if you get the information be sure to make your donation to shoe bikeman it's worth his time to provide this to SS members.
[h=1]2017 vin info thread.[/h]Red River Rebuilds are a crap shoot , they have been know to cut a lot of corners . Read this thread on it.
Read post #8 of this thread RED River Army Depot
It is wsucougarx's post.

This is a sticky in the 5 ton forum ( as a new owner you should read the stickies ) for part numbers .
[h=1]5 ton Parts Quick Reference Spreadsheet[/h]

wcuhillbilly

Careful and verify with that 5 ton parts reference. I have found several things wrong in there. Mostly with the older 809 series,, (my 816 wrecker) specifically it calls for a Napa 4067 kit to convert the 855 Cummins cartridge oil filter to spin on, that kit is wrong, for our horizontal filter pre 1968 version 855 Cummins the correct kit is the Baldwin OB-1368 Fleetguard doesn't make it anymore.
Just double check and do your home work.
Spend some time on here researching and you will find some mods to help you along.
Add a wheel lift or sling from say a Holmes 750 or up and your road guys will thank you, as the military had a proprietary mounting towing system that will not work on civy trucks.
Red, myself, and Heavy Wrecker are all moddyfiing our wreckers for more commercial use, Red- "Rescued M816 wrecker, in the 5 ton section," Heavy Wrecker is modding a 936 bed onto a civy medium duty chassis, And I use mind for excavation/recovery side business up here in Wyoming.

CSMDavis as mentioned before is the authority on most of these trucks, he is hard to catch, but a wealth of knowledge, best to call him,, # is in his signature.

Welcome to the gang of green iron..

Joe S.-- Wcuhillbilly
307-282-0773

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your 936. I love mine, it's like the Swiss Army knife of trucks, lot of uses.
As for the oil filter kit, I stock the complete kit w/ filter. Have them listed in the classified.
your truck looks good, lube it per the lube order, zerks everywhere. Keep it on the G177 tires,
very stable with those tires.

20170327_095717.jpg

20170327_095717.jpg
Her first road trip, after 4 new batteries thanks to the 5 Ton Parts List!
Used 1 1/2 tubes of grease today!
Still having problem getting the HYD to work, it goes in gear and I can see the shafts turning but no pressure to control areas, tank is nearly full? Maybe I am missing a step in the engagement process?

Csm Davis

View attachment 672941

View attachment 672941
Her first road trip, after 4 new batteries thanks to the 5 Ton Parts List!
Used 1 1/2 tubes of grease today!
Still having problem getting the HYD to work, it goes in gear and I can see the shafts turning but no pressure to control areas, tank is nearly full? Maybe I am missing a step in the engagement process?
Transmission neutral, hand brake set, transfer case to neutral, transmission to 1-5, handle next to door back towards rear cab wall, can be hard to engage may need to do the shift to 1-5 and handle next to door at the same time or handle a little ahead of transmission. The engine should rev up to 13-1500 rpm when you engage the handle, if not pull the throttle handle on the dash. Do not mess with the two handles next to the transmission shifter those are for the front winch only.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks