• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new owner of a m448

ArmyRover

Going to Arkansas this week to pull it home. Would love to tow it home but thinking a trailer would be a safer bet, for a 13 hour trip.

Does any one know a place that rents trailers wide enough by chance?

Also looking forward to my first military trailer build for a rugged base camper

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like it will fit on a uhaul trailer just fine.

Easy enough to measure rental trailer width and then look up specs for MV trailer.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice trailer. Don't see those around anymore. Was like a textile repair shop possibly? Markings are straight out of the Vietnam era.

ArmyRover

The seller is getting me the width at the wheels tomorrow. Didn't see any flat utility trailers on uhaul saw the ones with sides but wasn't sure it would clear those. I was looking at united rentals they have 6x14 dual axle utility trailer they rent.

No idea on the history, on the trailer. If I learn any of it I will definitely share. It does still have the breaker box and outlet set up inside so that is really cool.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have at least a one ton pickup I would put the magnetic taillight kit vendors like Harbor Freight have on it and tow it home.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If It was an hour or two away, I might agree.
But a 13 hour trip with an unknown trailer......?
Very smart to trailer it home.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uhaul has trailers without sides for hauling cars.
Whichever company that has a flat trailer will work.
I think it’s smart to trailer it home.
Who knows what condition the bearings are in.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
It would probably tow great the whole way but putting it on a trailer is a good idea.
Although the m448 might be in better shape than what u-haul will send you down the road with.:p

ArmyRover

That was my thoughts as well why risk the headache of possible failure. In the end I will be replacing the axle starting the process on the side of the road is not appealing.

It would probably tow great the whole way but putting it on a trailer is a good idea.
Although the m448 might be in better shape than what u-haul will send you down the road with.:p
True story :D

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If It was an hour or two away, I might agree.
But a 13 hour trip with an unknown trailer......?
Very smart to trailer it home.
That was my thoughts as well why risk the headache of possible failure. In the end I will be replacing the axle starting the process on the side of the road is not appealing.

True story :D
In my humble opinion:

Bearings and the condition of the tires would be MAJOR "NO FLY" inspection items.

To risk the failure of any could be CATASTROPHIC and the subsequent LIABILITY SUIT should anyone be a casualty of such failure far outweigh the "joy" of dragging it home, being CHEAP, or earning "bragging rights". Let's hedge on the side of caution and not jeopardize the reputation of the entire MV HOBBY.

Get her home to your Motor Pool and then have the convenience of tools, etc. for anything you discover in a thorough inspection. - - - And don't forget to check EVERYTHING including a PAP SMEAR.:shock:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Murphy’s Law:
If you trailer it home, the bearings, etc. will be found to be in excellent condition and you could have towed it home no sweat.
If you towed it home, a bearing and/or tire would have failed at the worst possible time and leave you scrambling to find parts/tires and having to trailer it anyway.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That offer is greatly appreciated!

If you wanted to tow it to my place and look it over before renting a trailer that is fine. I have a wrecker we can load it with onto the trailer if need be. Not sure where in Arkansas it is though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks