• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Owner of M37 New York

cosmic339

Hello Everyone!This is my first m37 as well as my first military truck to own, there are some pictures of it here it is a 1952. Some backround information i havent gotten a chance to look at it that well but i belive it has a chevy v8 already installed in it i think it is a 283 from 1968 according to this vin of the engine block anyone correct me if iam wroung?

Also there is already some modern upgrades to this truck i noticed like the seats and seatbelts as well as the right side mirror and 12 volt system. the previous owner told me it gets about 10-11 mpg.

i would like to fix that a bit anyone have any idea what you would do with this drivetrain , im already going to change the gears to the 4.89 ratio so that should get me about 14 mpg. basically it still has the same stock transmission and transfercase. would any of you would recommend changing the transmission or transfercase ? this will be a daily driver as well as a fun toy when the wife permits. Again thank you for looking at this post i just want to get some insight what i should do from here. :driver:

Attachments

Tanner

I recall this truck on Fleecepay?

Changing transfer cases would be tough, due to the front/rear diff layout. You could keep the stock 5.83 gearing, add in an overdrive 5-speed transmission, and keep stock t-case. This is not a truck that is going to run 75 mph down the highway and get stellar fuel economy.

Swapping to 4.89 gears? Nice. Plan on ~ $1k per axle to do it right, with new bearings/seals/labor for proper setup.

Recommendation: keep it as it is for now, get a Tech Manual for an M37, address any brake issues & worn steering components, and drive it. Learn about the truck you just bought before you attempt to make any major changes to it -

Welcome!

'Tanner'

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site , I have a M37 and would not like to use it as a daily driver , non syncro trans ,No P/S, P/B , what about heat /defrost , and the BIG one NO CUP HOLDERS ! Top speed even with the gear change will still be in the 50 MPH range . Bear in mind that you are dealing with a 60 year old drive train , designed in the late 40's . A good site to check out is Mseries rebuild , they do some amazing work to get a M37 up to date , think 4BT cummings , Bob K:driver:

cosmic339

Thx for the reply guys and the info it is defiantly appreciated, the truck already has a water heater installed as well as a center console with cup holders ! lol yes i checked that website but i think the prices where out of my range , i rather do the work myself and get more experience. Since it already has a different engine im going to try to see what i can do to install power steering once i have decided what drive train to go with more or less. i ordered the manual already but thanks for the tip!

Action Man

That's a pretty nice looking truck you got there. If I were you one of the first things I'd do would be to replace those seats with something that at least looks original to the truck. There's OD green stuff out there that's comfortable and looks authentic.

harleyhouse

Cool Ride,
My daily drive to work is 5 miles round trip It would make a great commuter for me.
I would swap out the seats for a custom bench with OD canvas cover. A ranger or
toyota may work.

Keep posting pictures as you go.

Jesse19rap

Welcome to the site.

I saw that truck on ebay while I was searching for parts for my "new" m37. Mine is all original with the gun torrent. I'm torn between trying to restore it back to original condition or make minor modern updates. Power steering, disk brakes etc. Good luck with your project.

Tanner

If the small block Chevy engine was installed in a quality manner, with good workmanship, etc., then run what you've got. If it runs/drives decently, go through the brake system & replace any suspect components first. Make sure she'll 'Whoa' before you get her to 'Go'. Update any worn steering components to cure any potential 'road wallow/wandering' at speed. Be sure that the electrical system is up to snuff.

Basic point: THOROUGHLY evaluate the foundation you have to start with, and make minimal updates at a time, rather than gross changes. A friend has an M37 that he's upgraded over the years with 4.89 axle gearing, Michelin tires, a good used CUMMINS 4BT motor, ZF 5-speed transmission, etc, etc. He figures that to do it again with similar parts would run $15,000++ at a conservative price - NOT including the purchase price of a truck.

Note: The transfer case is a weak link - It doesn't like turning over ~2500rpm for extended periods of time. TC gets hot, cooks seals, pukes fluid. There is no 'cheap, off-the-shelf' transfer case to use for a swap with the stock axle housings. Read through all the M37 posts - from the beginning. THIS is why I mention - when you start to address the drivetrain - looking into a 5-speed overdrive transmission swap. The OD 5th gear will increase road speed a bit & drop the RPM's of engine & transfer case.

List the Current needs of the truck; build a Cost Spreadsheet - Budget 30% more than you THINK you'll need. Your truck WILL suck down those dollars when you start looking at disc brakes/power steering/axle ratio changes, etc.

Your patience & wallet will thank you.

Good Luck!

'Tanner'

Last edited:

WarrenD

Note: The transfer case is a weak link - It doesn't like turning over ~2500rpm for extended periods of time. TC gets hot, cooks seals, pukes fluid. There is no 'cheap, off-the-shelf' transfer case to use for a swap with the stock axle housings. Read through all the M37 posts - from the beginning. THIS is why I mention - when you start to address the drivetrain - looking into a 5-speed overdrive transmission swap. The OD 5th gear will increase road speed a bit & drop the RPM's of engine & transfer case.

'Tanner'
Yes, the TC is weak link, but an OD tranny isn't the answer. It will lower the engine rpms but won't change the rpms in the Tcase. Only changing the third member gears will do that. You'd need to swap those 5.83s for 4.96s.
Put another way, with the stock system, 2500rpm in 4th (direct) will get you 2500 rpm thru the tcase to the 5.83s and translates to 42mph. Add an OD tranny and your engine rpms drop but at 42mph the driveshaft still has to spin at 2500rpm as the 5.83 gears are still there. You will still have the same tcase issues.
Installing a 2 speed box behind the Tcase would help the tcase but lead to trouble with the rear axle. 5.83s weren't built to go fast, the axle gets hot, too!
These trucks were built for a purpose, and speed wasn't a factor. Looking to get modern performance (speed, reliability, braking, handling) can be done but it's expensive. In the end, it's your truck and you can do with it what you want. Just remember what it is and where it comes from.

3dAngus

That truck body looks to be in great condition. Congratulations.

I don't mean this to be sassy in any way, but if you want to convert a fine old truck like this to a Chevy, why don't you just buy an old Chevy. These are getting more and more rare, and the value of them is in their originality. Seats look fantastic and I love them, but even so, I wouldn't want them. I would go for the original ,uncomfortable, unpleasing, OD Green canvas and get that Chevy engine out of there and make that truck do what the military engineers intended for the day.

Your way is good too. After all, it's your coin. Just wanted to give an opinion on historical vehicles, which, I'm not sure I would even commit to the deuce being one today, but the M-37, is definitely one. There are thousands of deuces still in use worldwide where many of our allies are still having them in use. Not so on the M-37. It's kinda special.

Enjoy, whatever you do, and don't worry about opinions like this that are not of your own if they don't serve you well.

Tanner

Yes, the TC is weak link, but an OD tranny isn't the answer. It will lower the engine rpms but won't change the rpms in the Tcase. Only changing the third member gears will do that. You'd need to swap those 5.83s for 4.96s.
Put another way, with the stock system, 2500rpm in 4th (direct) will get you 2500 rpm thru the tcase to the 5.83s and translates to 42mph. Add an OD tranny and your engine rpms drop but at 42mph the driveshaft still has to spin at 2500rpm as the 5.83 gears are still there. You will still have the same tcase issues.
Installing a 2 speed box behind the Tcase would help the tcase but lead to trouble with the rear axle. 5.83s weren't built to go fast, the axle gets hot, too!
These trucks were built for a purpose, and speed wasn't a factor. Looking to get modern performance (speed, reliability, braking, handling) can be done but it's expensive. In the end, it's your truck and you can do with it what you want. Just remember what it is and where it comes from.
Warren's correct - I missed out in my slow thinking & quick typing from my Android phone - meant to add note when I wrote this about going to taller tires as well, which would change the effective final-drive ratio. But taller tire options are limited to Michelin 11.00x16 XL/XZL's (when you can find them) - ~ 39" tall tires, or adapters & Gama Goat wheels & 40" tires (hard to find) - Stock Budd rim width is a big part of the problem in finding taller tires to fit the narrow rim.

4.89:1 ratio gears are the only optional gears available for the Dodge gear carriers. And not exactly inexpensive for a complete & proper change, once you add in new bearings/seals/labor/etc.

Thanks Warren!

'Tanner'

Last edited:

cosmic339

That truck body looks to be in great condition. Congratulations.

I don't mean this to be sassy in any way, but if you want to convert a fine old truck like this to a Chevy, why don't you just buy an old Chevy. These are getting more and more rare, and the value of them is in their originality. Seats look fantastic and I love them, but even so, I wouldn't want them. I would go for the original ,uncomfortable, unpleasing, OD Green canvas and get that Chevy engine out of there and make that truck do what the military engineers intended for the day.

Your way is good too. After all, it's your coin. Just wanted to give an opinion on historical vehicles, which, I'm not sure I would even commit to the deuce being one today, but the M-37, is definitely one. There are thousands of deuces still in use worldwide where many of our allies are still having them in use. Not so on the M-37. It's kinda special.

Enjoy, whatever you do, and don't worry about opinions like this that are not of your own if they don't serve you well.
oh no i dont like the chevy in there to much either it came with the truck but i do prefer it over the stock 6 cyl. I do want to change the engine to something of a dodge like a 318 or a 4 bt but it seems that these projects are about 10k plus if done properly from what i researched.

cosmic339

i will defiantly be changing to 4.89.1 gears!
disc brakes!
hopefully power steering- but this is for my last list.

so what you guys are saying something ideal is 4.89.1 gears with an overdrive trans ?
why would increasing the tire size help? i thought usually it will slow down the vehicle.
:confused:

WarrenD

Increasing tire size gives less rotations per distance. So one turn of the axle shaft gets you farther down the road. Put another way, you go farther (faster speed) per a given engine rpm. Similar to putting taller gears in the rear end with stock tires.

Tanner

4.89 gears, an OD transmission, AND taller tires would all be of benefit - but your wallet may not like it.

'Tanner'

cosmic339

:D Whats up guys?
Anyways i think i have decided what transmission to go with it will be the nv4500. what do you guys think about it? i think from what i read i have to go with a GM style 2wd version, not sure what year if it even matters. Also i can only find an adapter for the nv4500 to the np205, any ideas on this?

Tanner

:D Whats up guys?
Anyways i think i have decided what transmission to go with it will be the nv4500. what do you guys think about it? i think from what i read i have to go with a GM style 2wd version, not sure what year if it even matters. Also i can only find an adapter for the nv4500 to the np205, any ideas on this?
Ummm..... okay. NV4500 - decent trans, but not cheap. Has some well-known weaknesses, runs synthetic (pricey) transmission fluid, installs easily enough behind the SB Chevy engine.

Where does the NP205 come into the equation?

Look underneath your truck... notice how Dodge built the truck with the diffs offset towards the passenger side on the front & rear axles? Is the NP205 you have/are looking at setup like the NP200? If not, you won't be using the Dodge axles. This is why many swappers switch to GM Corporate or Dana axles front & rear when doing drive-line swaps.

Welcome to the world of M37's...

'Tanner'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks