• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Owner of M37 New York

cosmic339

yes defiantly not cheap just trying to get a decent plan before starting all this work i really appreciate all the info.

is it possible to use the np200 with the nv4500? if not i was looking at the np205 as it has 32 splines and a passenger drop for the nv4500

i would like to keep the stock axles for now until i find a decent affordable plan.

Attachments

cosmic339

yes defiantly not cheap just trying to get a decent plan before starting all this work i really appreciate all the info.

is it possible to use the np200 with the nv4500? if not i was looking at the np205 as it has 32 splines and a passenger drop for the nv4500

i would like to keep the stock axles for now until i find a decent affordable plan.

Is it possible to delete post ? i dont see the button for it my pc always doing double post

Attachments

3dAngus

You can't delete anymore. You can only edit. I usually just wipe everything out with an edit and put in "Duplicate post-disregard" in hopes a Mod will delete it.

Tanner

Stock NP200 is a divorced unit, and can work with a 2wd NV4500, as long as there is enough space available for the short drive shaft... Does that 205 have the ability to run the front and rear driveshaft off of that right side drop??

'Tanner'

cosmic339

i dont see why not it has the yoke right down the middle for the rear and another one for the passenger diff, i proably have to get costum driveshafts,but otherwise i dont see why not. im also looking at a website that has some info you might be familair with it if you google m37 bandit theres a page of a guy that used a 4bt with nv4500 and np 205.

Tanner

i dont see why not it has the yoke right down the middle for the rear and another one for the passenger diff, i proably have to get costum driveshafts,but otherwise i dont see why not. im also looking at a website that has some info you might be familair with it if you google m37 bandit theres a page of a guy that used a 4bt with nv4500 and np 205.
I'm well-aware of Paul / Moose Creek Maple; have conversed with him numerous times in past years via email -

I'll leave this part right here - Photo 32 of 201, M-37 ' Bandit '

... where Paul mentions that he used/made a 'centered Dodge M37 rear axle housing' - point here is that it doesn't appear to be an 'off-the-shelf' purchased solution. Then you get to look into axles & possibility of having to make them as well - Someone can chime in here if I'm incorrect...

UPDATE: further investigation appears to show that Paul has used a modified WC 3/4-ton rear axle assembly in his trucks.

'Tanner'

Last edited:

cosmic339

i understand ... but my rear diff is center mounted as well, im sorry iam i missing something here? thanks for all the help really appreciate it!

Tanner

Correct - on stock M37's from factory, the diffs are both offset to passenger side. You have short axles on passenger side front/rear & long axles on driver side front/rear... and I just looked at the picture you posted of the rear of your truck - your diff is NOT centered; it's most definitely offset to the passenger side - i.e., a stock Dodge M37 rear axle setup.

M37 Rebuild: August 2010

People HAVE modified the WC 3/4-ton centered rear axle assembly to work in an M37 application for use behind a 205 t-case. But you end up sacrificing a M37 axle housing to rob/cut the spring perches off of them, then cut off the WC diff housing spring perches, then measure & attach the M37 spring perches to the WC housing. While getting the perches mounted at the proper angle.

It ain't a 'bolt-on' deal...

'Tanner'

Last edited:

cosmic339

AHHH okay got it! i really understand now, sorry im still unable to actually see my truck at this time. But thanks for that insight, that's a great page also. I should go with the stock np200 then it seems like that project would be something i should do later down the road since i have somewhat a time constrain i would like to take my time doing it.

Now Tanner you said i could mount the nv4500 to the np200 , But there are some many variations of them like for example two types dodge and gm. as well there are different years where the spline count is different.

would i partically have to get a spline count of 10 to match up with the np200 tcase?

I also read that there are different versions that are mounted on the v10 and 5.9 cummins.
When i eventually change over to 3.9 cummins will i still be able to use this trans just change the bell housing ? or i would have to get another 4500 because it wouldn't match up from my current drivetrain to the 3.9?

Defenitly going to do a nv4500 change and 4.89 gear diff change.

Tuko

the bellhousing on the V10 and 5.9 cummins NV's are the same, just the adapter to the engines are different.

Tanner

First - get your truck or some photos of the M37 drivetrain mounted in the chassis - this will allow you to see the short driveshaft that connects the 2wd transmission output to the NP200 t-case input. You need to understand the concept of a 'divorced' transfer case, as used on the M37.

If you are not currently in a position to look at the vehicle, then I'd wait on doing anything else...

Next - don't confuse the input/output spline counts on the transmission. If you stay with the current Chevy V8, then get a GM application NV4500. Don't cross-pollinate anymore than necessary. Also - there were Cummins 4B-series
engines installed in Chevy P-series breadvans, usually with NP465 4-speed or TH350/TH400 transmissions behind them. Thus, the swap to a Cummins 4B/NV4500 can be done with a creative use of 'GM' parts. You'll have to look at flywheel requirements, clutches, etc... There are others on SS that are more versed in this, but planning it out on paper after looking at what you already have will be the best path, in my humble but accurate opinion.

'Tanner'

Last edited:

cosmic339

okay thanks Tanner and tuko for that info didn't understand what was a divorce style tcase but know now , i understand what you were trying to say in the beginging of the convo.

vtdeucedriver

You know I have a friend that put a air scoop under his transfer case that helped force more air up around the T-case to help keep it cooler. With todays oils and that, you might just want to play with the orig T-Case for a while.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks