• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner of MEP 802A

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter

2Pbfeet

I wish I had seen the selectable load models! That would have saved me some work. I bought a dented 10kW, and rewired it for 1650/3300/4950/6600/10,000W. Internally, the control boards seem to be laid out for possible 3 phase operation, but I did not find those models for sale. FWIW, the unit that I bought had some wires resting against sharp metal edges.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On top of your house not being a load bank, you'd probably find it's mostly a very ineffective load bank... unless you go out of your way with your stove/drier/water heater/heat pump (and the last one will probably be too much to start without a soft starter, unless you have a newer variable speed)

My 802 hooked up to 'normal' house loads (not the ones above) makes almost no difference... it pretty much doesn't care. It spikes when the well pump starts, and running the well pump puts the gauge at about 30%, but without one of the large 240v loads, it's not doing much of any work.

heimlich

I like to make due with what I have and not spend money on a load bank.

I've got three window AC units. Those will suck the electricity.

I am looking for some way to run a wire into the panel. I've got a 30 amp breaker for the range/oven. We don't use it. Can I take the 120/240 from the generator which puts out 26 amps to that breaker to feed into the panel. I have a main fuse from the grid I can turn off before I do that.

heimlich

That's good advice. I'd like to learn to decide if I can do it on my own or not.

Professionals here are licensed. Most likely if everyone on this forum only used professionals most of it would not be done.

I remembered I knew a military electrician who came over and helped me with my 3-phase milling machine. I called him up and asked him if he knew about these units. He's going to stop by. Maybe he can help with how I should hook these up.

Last edited:

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like to make due with what I have and not spend money on a load bank.

I've got three window AC units. Those will suck the electricity.

I am looking for some way to run a wire into the panel. I've got a 30 amp breaker for the range/oven. We don't use it. Can I take the 120/240 from the generator which puts out 26 amps to that breaker to feed into the panel. I have a main fuse from the grid I can turn off before I do that.
Backfeeding a panel without a proper interlock is very illegal because one error and a lineman can be killed.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet it will be easier to start now that I have had it running. I didn't put any load on it though.

The thumb screw was clocked vertically and was so tight I couldn't turn it unless I removed the top.

80 PSI is cold and hot. It remained there for the full 20 minutes.

Once a month check on these seems pretty good. I already have to do something similar with the vehicles.
Tell me about the batteries you found?

To hook into your panel, you want an interlock that makes it impossible for both grid power and genset power to be switched on at the same time.

$80 or so, and it could save you from negligent homicide charges....

Attachments

heimlich

I don't know a lineman who doesn't assume the wires are hot. They have more to worry about all the solar generation feeding into the lines than me. At least I am doing the switching manually instead of automatically.

I was planning on turning off the main breaker on the panel first. Either that or I can just pull it out. How can electricity go to the grid if you do that?

Last edited:

heimlich

Tell me about the batteries you found?
I bought two of the lawn batteries from Costco. I think they were $39 each. Then I bought two sets of adapters that turns them into the round post kind. They worked perfectly. The 51R were $100. I figured I could buy two sets of the lawn batteries for the same price.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know a lineman who doesn't assume the wires are hot. They have more to worry about all the solar generation feeding into the lines than me. At least I am doing the switching manually instead of automatically.

I was planning on turning off the main breaker on the panel first. Either that or I can just pull it out. How can electricity go to the grid if you do that?
"If you do that" of course it won't. And if you, or someone else doesn't do that?

Sequence counts. If you disconnect from the grid before you connect to the generator, there's no way to get it wrong.

But it's possible that someone else who doesn't have such an awareness could be using your equipment. It's possible that you could get complacent and have both on at the same time. Is it possible that it's 0300 and you're sleepy and it's storming and the power is out, and you screw it up? Maybe and maybe not...

I try not to be an idiot, but let me tell you something stupid I did while tired and rushed : I was unhooking my pickup truck from a gooseneck trailer. I dropped the tailgate, released the chains, disconnected the cable, opened the latch, jacked to clear the ball, slammed the tailgate shut, jumped back in the truck, **and pulled forward destroying the tailgate with the gooseneck**.

Obviously I knew not to close the tailgate. That didn't stop it from happening.

Why not use equipment that physically won't allow generator and grid connection at the same time?

Guyfang

Staff member

I have twice been entertained by 3 phase power, when some ******** turned on a CB that I had turned off. Hung a sign on it too. I once took a 60 meter ride on a conveyor belt, because some ******** turned on a CB that I had turned off. It too had a sign. And lastly I once got chased by an over head crane, down one side of its tracks. about 15 inchs wide, and 25 meters in the air, by a ******** that turned on, the emergency off switch, that clearly stated, DO NOT TURN BACK ON. From that point on, we installed every emergency off switch with a lockable function. And only three of us had keys. If you can't lock it, I don't trust it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks