• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new owner, saying hello

garm

I won my first M37 today and will have it soon. An army truck has always been on my vehicle bucket list. But, I don't know a thing about it, very glad to be here.

Other than a "misfire", it is complete, runs and drives. Original wheels come with it.

What do you think of these wheels?

Jns4TGO.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum. Oh wow is that a nice Dodge. Ex-Civil Defense, usually means it was the pick of the litter when excessed from the Army. Equipped with 100 amp charging system, telltale sign of a shelter carrier radio rig. Wheels/tires are HMMWV with new centers. Hope you enjoy it, that one is 10 stars.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome and a very nice Truck. One of the good things about the Dodges, there is plenty of room to put on larger tires. How much clearance on the front bumper when turning?
Now add some Horsepower!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome, and nice truck! I would leave it original as much as possible. I can understand more power to a point, but then you probably do not intend it to be a power monster to off-road or run 60 mph down the roads. To me original preservation is the goal; they don't make the original ones anymore! I have two, drove one to work for several years. The nicest riding military pickup made in the era.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

That is a very nice, straight truck, with the 100 Amp system, a hardtop in beautiful condition and a great looking candidate for a restoration.

I hope you keep it stock. There are lots of standard military variations if you want something a little different. The 100 Amp system will let you add radios (there are lots of combinations).

Good Luck!

garm

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll add more pictures today. I plan to keep it scrappy and stock. Radios would be really cool.

Looking forward to learning from you guys.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Fortunately the flat will run forever with proper or improper maintenance. Find a new set of points, rotor, and carb kit while they are still reasonable priced. Todays gasoline is like poison to these engines, either find real gasoline without alcohol or start an additive regimen. Somebody will know if lead additive is required, but I would do so anyway for valve guide, seat protection.

NAM VET

When I acquired my'37 last summer, someone (I can't recall whom, perhaps someone at Vintage Power Wagons) advised me to use a concoction of Seafoam, lead substitute, and Marvel in the tank, and if not frequently driven, also StaBil. So I ordered a case of lead substitute (RedLine product) and SeaFoam, and bought a big bottle of Marvel, and poured the suggested mixture into my tank. I can't now recall what proportions I used. I think the StaBil was why my truck started so well after sitting for 9 months with the same fuel in the gas tank, with the bed off and the black painted gas tank in the sun. I agree that finding a station with non-ethanol gas is pretty important too. Where I live in UpState SC lots of stations now have the ethanol-free gas, I think because of all the companies around me that are in the lawn maintenance business, and need it for their power products.

Now that I am back on the road with a completely rebuilt engine (and other components, like brake/fuel/vent lines and so much more, I only use the ethanol-free gas. I don't need the lead substitute nor the Marvel and Seafoam additives, as my new valves and seats are all modern and new.

Enjoy the ride, and there is a wealth of experience on this and the other forums dedicated to these sturdy beasts.

NAM VET

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello from Nor Cal. Great looking truck. I think I have a radio box for the back of that truck if your interested.

NAM VET

My truck has the waterproof military set, about $300 for a new OEM set. I had a miss, so pulled my plug wires one at a time on my running motor, and found one had no spark. So for the time being, ordered a used #5 wire from Vintage Power Wagons, and tested them all with with my multimeter for current and resistance, the others were all OK, and the used one was too, so put them back on, and truck has no miss. I'll get a new set later this fall. You might check yours to see if any are bad.

NV

garm

Thanks. I'll check out Vintage Power Wagons. I would pay $300 for an OEM set, to keep my truck as original as possible. Where would those come from?