• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner saying hello

epartsman

Welcome! Looks good. Partial to the OD green camo myself though. Are those cloth seats? Kinda hard to tell in the pics. Everyone Ive ever seen had the burgundy vinyl interior. Customize away. When mine is finished I will post my build thread. It will look stock but have PW, PDL, Cruise, A/C, Stereo, Some upholstery work using original material & frames frome a Suburban with arm rests, and Security.

196thprober

It arrived yesterday, will post some pics tomorrow when the sun comes out. Today was dedicated to figuring out a lighted license plate mount for the rear of truck, figuring out the blackout lights and rear window winder (what, there's a key in the middle of the winder that needs to be unlocked?) Kudos to Jeff of Motorsource so far, everything is exactly as advertised, even down to the leaking rear main seal (will be fixed next week). I understand that the GL auction is a great way to save money for the do-it-yourselfers out there, but for a Noob to Cucv's who is not a mechanically minded individual, it helps to have someone who knows a bit about the beast to walk you through some basics that you all are familiar with. This is appears to be a fairly well sorted out, highly maintained driver... I'll have a mechanic go through it next week and I'll find out what's really what. Thanks to this site for all the help so far...tons of info here!

In the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving to you all, may you all enjoy good food, good company, and lets say a prayer for the young men and women of our armed forces that allow us to celebrate these freedoms and wish them a safe return home!

I was right the first time-it does look great! :grin:

zaxcucv

One of my batteries was leaking around the seams, so I threw a m31 battery from sears in... marine duty, but only 675 cca. Was this a stupid move? It fit quite well and I figured it was better than dripping acid everywhere. I am starting to have second thoughts about using this as a snow truck, it is so rust free. Random people keep approaching me to talk about the truck, asking to buy the truck, or to look under the truck at the frame to proclaim it's beautiful rust-free-ed-ness. I feel like painting it or using it as a snow truck may be some sort of desecration. I am enjoying the he'll out of it so far...

swatmedic

I also purchased a CUCV from Jeff at Motorsource Inc. Got it home last week. Nice CUCV zax. I almost bought the one you have. Is it the one with the driving lights mounted on the gaurd?

zaxcucv

I also purchased a CUCV from Jeff at Motorsource Inc. Got it home last week. Nice CUCV zax. I almost bought the one you have. Is it the one with the driving lights mounted on the gaurd?
It is, loving it so far. Getting the rear main seal, dsg stud girdle, oil pump, engine block heater, and oil pan sealer done next week! How is yours?

swatmedic

Well I really don’t know much about the engine and am currently doing some research. I’m a CUCV NOOB…Did you have a mechanic check it out for you? I am taking mine in next week.

zaxcucv

Well I really don’t know much about the engine and am currently doing some research. I’m a CUCV NOOB…Did you have a mechanic check it out for you? I am taking mine in next week.
I am a Cucv noob too but a car nut. I have stopped working on my car after thoroughly establishing that there are a sh+t-ton of people who are far better at it than I... I got sick of paying them to fix my mistakes! Plus it always takes me 3 times longer to do anything and I end up justifying buying tools that cost more than the job would have cost.

There is a mechanic locally that has assorted M1008 and 1009 variants and works primarily on diesels. He said it was a real clean truck, but is going to keep it for a few days when he is doing the rear seal and is going to go over it more thoroughly. From what I understand, there are a few things you want to do when you are in doing the rear seal. it makes sense to replace the oil-pump and the sealant on the pan, also the stud girdle is a great way to strengthen the underside of the motor if you want to extend it's longevity. A rear seal leak can also be caused by a clogged CDR, which builds pressure in the engine and can force oil out of various places. Also, all the belts were on the wrong pulleys, I am surprised I didn't throw a belt at 75 on the highway. More pics:

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks