• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner with a few questions :)

bspellerin

Hello all, I’m new to this forum and Deuce ownership, my truck was delivered last Monday and I’m anxious to give her a drive, I’m presently out of the country until the first week of October so I can’t look at her in person.

I’ve done quite a bit of researching on the internet, looking at youtube vids, images, etc. My wife took some pictures and now I have a few questions as to what exactly I have. The previous owner sold it as a 1970 Kaiser M35A2C, the dimension data nameplate has it as a 1966 build, however it certainly doesn’t look original, plus it states that it has a winch, which mine doesn’t.

I asked about my dash a couple of days ago on this site as it looks different than any other I’ve seen and was informed by clinto that my truck was probably originally a gasoline powered truck. If I’m not mistaken, would that be an M35 Standard?, as per Wikipedia.
Another thing is that I also believe that my bed is from an A3, there are circular plates with dimples welded on the sides, by the way what are those for?

I intend on relocating the headlights back to the upper position when I get home and install a snorkel.
Any guesses, facts, outright lies from you guys/gals as to what you think I might actually have, will be greatlyappreciated. Did I get a mutt or are these frequently put together like Frankenstein? Don’t really mean that in a bad way as I’m very delighted with how it looks in the photos, just curious about its history and how it probably got to its current condition.

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingvan911

Someone did quite a bit of customizing. Take a look at the last 5 digits of the serial number on the data plate. They should match the five digits on the frame inside the driver's side fender just behind the axle. The data plate May or may not be original to the truck.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Get a gallon of coffee and read this forum (eventually, people will tell you to "GO USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" anyway). Brace yourself for it :)
You can search the forum comfortably from the main Google website by typing:
"your search topic/search terms" site:steelsoldiers.com
into the search field.

Your dash indeed looks like the gasser dash (without integrated tachometer; that has been added below the dash, as was custom when the gas engines were swapped for multifuels in the service). Follow the advice on the frame numbers if you want to know whether the data plate is original to the truck. "Losing" or "gaining" a winch is not unusual. If you want, you can add it back on. Complete winches with power take off (PTO) come up for sale. Before you do, think hard whether you truly need it. If you don't, you will appreciate the shorter "nose" in front for normal (city) driving and less weight on the front wheels.

The bed is likely original; the "dimples" are for the recessed cargo tie-down attachment points. While the A3's have them as standard, it was a unit-level modification where they cut out the openings and welded the plates with the attachment point in. Very useful, as you will quickly appreciate them if you ever end up transporting items.

Last edited:

F18hornetM

I don't have any info for your either on the gas engine deal. Except to say looks like a nice truck. My truck did not have a winch on the data plate but I put one on it. Mine is also a 1970 and was not in as good a shape as yours appears when I got it. Good luck.

bspellerin

Thanks for the replies and information. If this truck originally had a gas engine based on what the dash looks like, then potentially how old could the cab and frame be?, early 50's? Anyone have any idea on this. When I return home I'll see what numbers are stamped on the frame and go from there.

tcruwithme

You have a very nice looking truck. The truck in the pictures doesn't look like a drop-side truck. It does have the tie-down anchors that only the 2 1/2 ton drop-sides have, but I don't see the hinges on the bed that are supposed to be there or the spacers on the rear spashguards. It's also missing the two rubber tail gate bumpers that came with the drop-side trucks. To figure out if your truck was built as a drop-side, look for the serial number stamped in the frame by the front driver wheel like Flyingvan911 says. The first two digits are the lot number - which tells about when the truck was built. The next two digits are the original truck platform design. If your truck was built as a drop-side, those second two digits will be 40. I've got an M35A2C built in 1985 and the first four digits of my serial number are 0940.

Last edited:

Rmtaunton

Well the guage plate could have been replaced plus I thought all "C" trucks were drop side , start with checking number on frame

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Clinto said in your other post when you asked the same question:

You have an early truck that was probably originally a gasser. When the military rebuilt it into a multifuel, the tach was added under the dash.

Gasser dash frames have a smaller opening for the instrument cluster as they didn't have a tach originally. There are several different varieties of clusters, I don't know why some trucks got the under dash tach and some got the special smaller cluster with the tach wedged into it. If I had to guess, I'd say trucks with the add-on tach like yours were simply upgraded engine swaps and they didn't bother changing clusters and trucks with the tach in the cluster but using the smaller dash frame were more complete upgrade jobs.

Regardless, it's pretty neat. I've only seen a few like this.
It isn't a good idea to ask the same questions in multiple threads. It wastes peoples time as the questions more than likely have already been answered.

With that being said, it is better that you started this thread instead of adding to the other unrelated thread.

Now moving forward:

Welcome to the site. You have a great looking truck.

Your truck appears to have been rebuilt and upgraded over the years. Like Clinto said it was more than likely an early gasser. What is the VIN number on the data plate? The plate may not be correct for the truck. I doubt that it is a 1970 or even a 1966.

Read these article and see if you can find the frame serial number:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?12767-1952-reo-2-1-2-ton-vin-number-location

The frame number may be on the driver or passenger side.

Last edited:

m715mike

I echo the thoughts expressed above. You have a very nice looking truck!

My truck is titled as a 1972 Reo Motors. However, there are a few SS'ers (guys that are much more knowledgable than I) that have looked at my truck and concluded it is an old gasser. Their opinions were based on the following:

- Reo Motors was not making Deuces in 1972
- I have a box drivers seat (like the one in your pictures)
- The mud flaps (like the ones on your truck) were an indication of an old gasser
- The fenders on my truck are larger (i.e., stick into the engine compartment further) than the newer Deuces
- There are more holes/covers on my fire wall than usual

I have never seen a tach under the dash. My tach is in the instrument cluster. After reading this thread, I'm curious to see if my instrument cluster is smaller than other Deuces. (Great, now I have something else to develop a complex over :shock:!)

It does look like you have some custom features! I'm curious what the extra switches do (under your dash, left of the steering wheel). I saw some extra lights, but what else do you have switched?

I know you are going to enjoy her!!!

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

As others have said, definitely not a dropside bed M35A2("C"). Nice truck though. Download the Operator's Manual for her, that will answer any questions you may have on operation.

bspellerin

Thank you all for your input and guidance, I'm just trying to get a handle on what I purchased.

Being chastised by the mod only after 6 posts, must be a record and my apologies. My first post was specifically about my dash, which is why I posted in an Instrument Cluster thread, when informed that I must have had a gasoline engine this prompted me to ask additional questions on the general forum. I'm used to this in the exotic car forum I'm also in, just surprised by it here, oh well.

I have downloaded the Ops Manual and have ordered a hard copy as well, the 6 switches on the left I'm told are for the LED's, I guess 1 for each light, 2 on the fwd bumper, 2 on the back corners and 2 in the cab, not sure where exactly as I have not yet seen this vehicle in person.

Thank again,

Brian

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never seen a tach under the dash. My tach is in the instrument cluster. After reading this thread, I'm curious to see if my instrument cluster is smaller than other Deuces. (Great, now I have something else to develop a complex over :shock:!)
Yes, gasser deuces have a smaller instrument cluster.

There is a very good possibility that the frame number is on the passenger side and start with the letter "M". A lot of the older gassers had the number on the passenger side.

nchittendon

Being chastised by the mod only after 6 posts, must be a record and my apologies.
haha, not even close.

Your truck has a lot of "funny" things that I see in the pics. If I were in your shoes, I too would be very curious as to her history.

I'm still very new to this compared to some of the old farts around here, but I've been lurking in the shadows for a few years now. If I were to have acquired your truck, the steps I would take are as follows:
1) Everyone poops. Download the TM's, and you will have reading material for WEEKS, possibly months depending on your diet. But read the TM's. Even just cruising through them will gain you a ton of knowledge on your truck.
2) once you get home and can really stick your nose in it, as other's have mentioned, the VIN on the frame by the driver side axle. There may be a LOT of paint on it, so it might be hard to see, but that is your starting point. I would find it, and match it to the data plate.
3) if that matches your data plate, CARNAC has a thread on here for VIN decoding/identification that is very helpful in finding some history. Follow his instructions to the letter, and he will be a huge asset.
4) Bumper numbers. You can sand down your bumper and usually find something hidden under all the new(er) paint. When I got mine, I started with those and just plugged them into Google a number of different ways and came up with some interesting stuff. Also, try plugging your VIN and data plate info into google. This churned up more questions in my case, but will at least give you a lead to follow up on.
5) A good portion of the hierarchy here doesn't like answering the same questions every time a new vehicle owner posts up and wants to learn. I know, it seems kinda ****ty, but imagine how many times these questions have been answered? The search bar at the top right is very useful, and is very forgiving. My suggestion is wearing that out before posting up a question so you don't get your head bitten off.
6) enjoy your truck, and giving it everything in your wallet. These things are awesome, and have so much that you can learn from them. Did I mention read, read, read? There are so many folks on these forums that have typed small dictionary's worth of custom builds, and how-to threads.

bspellerin

haha, not even close.

Your truck has a lot of "funny" things that I see in the pics. If I were in your shoes, I too would be very curious as to her history.

I'm still very new to this compared to some of the old farts around here, but I've been lurking in the shadows for a few years now. If I were to have acquired your truck, the steps I would take are as follows:
1) Everyone poops. Download the TM's, and you will have reading material for WEEKS, possibly months depending on your diet. But read the TM's. Even just cruising through them will gain you a ton of knowledge on your truck.
2) once you get home and can really stick your nose in it, as other's have mentioned, the VIN on the frame by the driver side axle. There may be a LOT of paint on it, so it might be hard to see, but that is your starting point. I would find it, and match it to the data plate.
3) if that matches your data plate, CARNAC has a thread on here for VIN decoding/identification that is very helpful in finding some history. Follow his instructions to the letter, and he will be a huge asset.
4) Bumper numbers. You can sand down your bumper and usually find something hidden under all the new(er) paint. When I got mine, I started with those and just plugged them into Google a number of different ways and came up with some interesting stuff. Also, try plugging your VIN and data plate info into google. This churned up more questions in my case, but will at least give you a lead to follow up on.
5) A good portion of the hierarchy here doesn't like answering the same questions every time a new vehicle owner posts up and wants to learn. I know, it seems kinda ****ty, but imagine how many times these questions have been answered? The search bar at the top right is very useful, and is very forgiving. My suggestion is wearing that out before posting up a question so you don't get your head bitten off.
6) enjoy your truck, and giving it everything in your wallet. These things are awesome, and have so much that you can learn from them. Did I mention read, read, read? There are so many folks on these forums that have typed small dictionary's worth of custom builds, and how-to threads.
Man, great post, thanks for all the advise.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks have pointed out quite a bit of the details regarding indicators that this was a gasser. Here are a few additional points not yet made. The tie down anchors in the bed were certainly added. The. Ones with the square plate as you have were a kit. They are uber useful andmmuch stronger than they look. The frame number can actually be in 4 different places. Both sides near the shock mount or very close to the frame. If the number does begin with an M, congrats, you have a Studebaker. Years could be 1951 through 1962 and maybe even a little 63. Abandon allm hope that the data plate is original, it's not. Continue this thread when you return and we'll sort it out further.