• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new owner

sktww

what a great site. i just bought a 1953 m37 from a friend of mine. i did drive it home and it runs fairly well. i've never owned a MV befour and am looking forward to restoring it to original condition

Attachments

hughscpa

Welcome and nice looking truck. There are some great people on this site with more knowledge than you can shake a stick at. Always remember, pics, pics, pics. [thumbzup]

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks nice. It appears that it used to have the door mounted spare tire carrier. There are pros and cons to that but I personally think the "cool" factor weighs more for having it than not.

sktww

heres where i'm at so far. before i got it, complete brakes from master cylinder to shoes. gas tank cleaned and sealed, new gas lines to carb. carb still is a little stickie, soon to be replaced. all fluids replaced. new wiring harnes started, yet to be finished. if i had brake lites i would be on the road more.
i have lots of parts that i'm going through. i look in catilogs to try to figger out what they are. just found all the parts to mount spare on drivers door. a lot of details to take care of, like the manifold heat control valve. the shaft is there , leaks, with no nut or plate. i plan on taking one step at a time and go through everything untill its all corect mechanicaly then on to body.
also have lockout hubs and front disk breaks

Last edited:

Carter

Not much i must admit, I have been told that the tops with the 2 piece sliding rear window were military issue but have no proof to back that up.

I have one on my other truck that looks the same as yours, from what I can see of it but mine has no data plates so I am unable to prove what it's heritage is. At one time it was painted Air Force Blue and that's the only clue I have that it was at one time it may have been a military issue item.

Blue under the arctic top's red paint pictures from military photos on webshots

Oldfart

Top looks like Military Issue to me. Most after markets are fiberglass or cobbled over the soft top frame. There was a military issue kit to convert the CCKW hard top to the M37. Those have an oval back window and wooden spacer parts to make the top match the door windows etc.

sktww

additional pics
notice the beginings of a "role" bar that has ben cut off next to drivers seat. i think this wasnot the way it was in the army. anybody have any ideas?
the dogs like it

Attachments

majorhitt

Would you be so kind as to take a photo of the radiator guard and mounts where the hood latch catches? Thanks. The cab looks just like the one I have on my 53 M37.

SturmTyger380

Nice truck. Looks like it had the spare tire on the drivers side at one time. My M37 came from Aburndale Fl years ago. Been working on an M38A1 but the M37 is next. I hope to post pictures as I go along.

Alan