• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New paint and a visit with the highway patrol... new pics!

DeuceDale

Well there has been alot of changes to my deuce since I got her, mostly thanks to you guys planting ideas in my head...

The most recent is a 3-color CARC camo paint job, the whole thing was covered in black spray-on bedliner when I got it, so I just added the green and brown over the top of it. I used a brush on the truck body and sprayed the troop seats. I use Gillespie 383 Green and 383 Brown, it took almost 1 gallon of green and about 1 quart of brown. Both colors covered the black in one coat, I'm impressed with that!!

So after the paint had dried, I drove into town to show some friends the new paint job, we got even more waves, honks and smiles than before. I was on my way home about 11:30pm when here comes the flashing red and blue lights from behind, so I pulled over and the patrolman walks up to the side and asks whats going on and who am I, so I tell him my name and that I was headed home, then he asks if this is my truck, and that he thought he had better pull me over and check things out rather than hear tomorrow that and army truck was missing from some where. He was cool about it and said thanks and have a nice night.

I guess my paint job looks authentic enough, at least to the highway patrol:D

Attachments

Swede

RE: New paint and a visit with the highway patrol...

How do you guys get your design for the camo? or is just go with it?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Got any close up pictures on the paint job? Just curious how it looks....

OD_Coyote

Your truck looks great!
I have never seen a deuce front bumper with the taper on the ends before did you modify it? Also, what size tires are you running?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Wow, looks totally diifferent! Lookin' good! :beer:

houdel

Re: New paint and a visit with the highway patrol...

DeuceDale said:
I guess my paint job looks authentic enough, at least to the highway patrol
Me too! I've been pulled over a couple of times to get checked out also. Mostly, I think they just wanted a close up look at the truck, although one of the officers remarked that he wanted to make sure I was NOT part of the Michigan Militia! I'm not, and I guess that LE is not too fond of the them!

houdel

Re: RE: New paint and a visit with the highway patrol...

Swede said:
How do you guys get your design for the camo? or is just go with it?
There are a couple of manuals in the TM section - TB 43-0147 Camouflage Patterns and TB 43-0209 Camouflage Painting - which give pictures of how the patterns are applied. CUCVs, HMMVEEs, M1 Abrams, Fire Trucks, Compressor Trailers, even a doughboy trough for a bakers trailer (whatever that is), and everything else in between. Very detailed, as I recall, the standard is for the color pattern to be within 3" of the specified pattern!

Here is a typical shot for the side of a Deuce. If memory serves me correctly, color 1 is OD green, 2 is black and 3 is brown.

Attachments

M1075

RE: Re: RE: New paint and a visit with the highway patrol...

I think I remember that deuce from ebay. Did it come without doors and fuel tank and spare mounted in the bed?

DeuceDale

Thanks guys for the comments, I got the pattern from several places, mostly just by looking at pics from various places also http://www.panzerbaer.de/colours/us_carc_m109.htm is a good page showing the colors.

I too have never seen a front bumper like the one on my truck, it looks like its original because the bottom edges of the tapered part are bent back, I wouldn't think anyone would take the time(or effort) to do that, if it was just a shade tree job.

The tires are 11.00-20s, there's a little over an inch between the duals, so I'm not too worried about them touching each other.

And yes this is that truck off of ebay :)

FreightTrain

Banned
hey,it is starting to look like a deuce again.I didn't want to say anything earlier but since your going in this direction I will flat say it.That was one FUGLY truck.I saw it on Ebay several time and it make me shiver.But you have done a LOT of work on it so far.new windshilds(no more blue tint) with wipers.....doors,respectful paint......You do fast,Nice work!Can you get more pictures of some of the mods the PO did?Like the steps,Bumper,Grill,inside the bed,cab,etc.

sak00

As far as the paint Numbers, I found out while painting my truck, that #1 was Black, #2 was Olive Drab, and #3 was Brown. Just trying to help!

DeuceDale

Upon closer inspection, it looks like the front bumper has had a section of the front cut out and then the bottom lip was bent up and welded,to create the taper, they did a good job on it. I like the look, so I'll probably keep it that way.

Heres the latest pic, I've added the west coast mirrors and a different grille, also a close-up of the paint/texture of the bed liner coating.

Attachments

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck looks great! I can't wait to get the 11.00x20s on my deuce! Are all of the wheels black? Right now my truck is CARC, (see avatar). I'm pretty sure I'm going to go all green, but thought about black wheels. The look I'm after is whatever is rolled out of the factory looking like in 1971.