• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New power steering pump

3000gt

Quick question i replaced my power steering pump with Napa part# is 81-1411 I am installing a hydraulic mile marker winch and i read where the aftermarket pumps dont have enough pressure.

(hummer parts guy website) IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS IS THE PUMP USED FOR THE V-BELT ENGINES (H1 AND HUMVEE)GENUINE AM GENERAL. AFTERMARKET POWER STEERING PUMPS WILL NOT APPLY ENOUGH PRESSURE FOR THE HUMMER DUE TO THE COMBINATION OF THE HYDROBOOST SETUP AND THE STEERING/BRAKING WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY. AM GENERAL USED A SPECIAL POWER STEERING PUMP NOT FOUND IN AFTERMARKET PUMPS

Am i in trouble?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at napa...81-1411 is obsolete...new number is PS385136 which is for hummer H1 most years.

3000gt

Well I installed a new mile marker winch and attempted to pull someone out yesterday. The winch simply stopped pulling and the pump started whining. MM winch will pull in with ease when not hooked to anything and I did have winch in LOW range. SO???? any ideas as to why.
I even put a snatch block on and it did barely pull my truck forward (I wasn't anchored to anyone).

No foamy power steering fluid, steering works perfect, brakes work perfect, fluid level ok. I think once the pump reaches a certain psi it starts to whine. Do i need 2 belts on pump?(only have 1) The belt was a little loose but not bad.

I do have that NAPA pump so it might not reach a high enough psi for the winch to operate correctly

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I installed a new mile marker winch and attempted to pull someone out yesterday. The winch simply stopped pulling and the pump started whining. MM winch will pull in with ease when not hooked to anything and I did have winch in LOW range. SO???? any ideas as to why.
I even put a snatch block on and it did barely pull my truck forward (I wasn't anchored to anyone).

No foamy power steering fluid, steering works perfect, brakes work perfect, fluid level ok. I think once the pump reaches a certain psi it starts to whine. Do i need 2 belts on pump?(only have 1) The belt was a little loose but not bad.

I do have that NAPA pump so it might not reach a high enough psi for the winch to operate correctly

it was posted here that a non OEM pump would not suffice for a MM winch application....so now you need to replace it with a OEM pump to confirm this. I do know it's stated on HPG's website.

desmodromic

It also helps to keep the RPMs up with the throttle lock while winching, but the underlying issue is the aftrrmarket pump.

A properly powered Hydraulic MM winch should pull with ease as it is rate for twice the base M998 weight.

papakb

This is probably the biggest fault with the Mile Marker winches. In the HMMWV these are considered self recovery winches but if the engine isn't running, how can you self recover? A great arguemrnt for electric winches.

Kurt

desmodromic

This is probably the biggest fault with the Mile Marker winches. In the HMMWV these are considered self recovery winches but if the engine isn't running, how can you self recover? A great arguemrnt for electric winches.

Kurt
I agree, but then again, where are you really going to go if your engine is not running. Winching 100 ft at a time on an electric winch is not going to get you too far on battery power alone.

3000gt

When I called humvee parts guy online website they told me that an after-market pump simply would not be strong enough to turn the tires or use the brakes so I assumed that my pump would be strong enough since it was able to do this with ease
Fyi just ordered an oem pump I will get back with results

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks