• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New project-M59

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats, I was watching that one too (270 miles from parents house). Only seen five others. Going to restore or repower?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
See Kenny, good things come to those who wait! (except those that waited to buy from GL, *snicker*) I'm glad to see your M108's sister has been found! Let me know what I can do to help.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it works, here is the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...00942952&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MOTORS:1123
Still making plans and checking options on moving it. Scott (Tie0644) seems to be the closest and can store it for a while. According to the Ebay ad, it runs, has brake issues and the dump bed is untested. As long as it runs OK and I can keep it running, I'll leave the gasser in there. If it gives me fits, I'll multifuel it. (Sorry David). In case the link doesn't work, it's ebay item 270300942952. My thoughts are get it off the sellers property within the 30 days he's given me. From there I'll search for shipping. I'm going to leave my shipping options wide on hoping to get a good rate. Since I have close friends/members in CIncinnati area, Metro Atlanta and North Florida, I'll choose the best deal I can from that. I can always run up to GA to get it. CCATLET1984 said he would drag it down to the GA rally next year if I could get it to Gimpyrobb's AO. I have more options than money so hopefully I can buy some time. Should be a neat project, now if I could only finish the 108. BTW both are 53 Studes. VIN on the M108 is M30708, VIN on the M59 is M32558.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Kenny if you do swap it out call me about the gasser core.:wink: Want to get a rebuildable substitute going.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Kenny, it looks very restorable!

I wonder what the story is on the shovel next to it?
The shovel. I'm told this was a gravel pit and the owner passed away. This guy ended up with it and has been having iron hauled off by the hundred ton since last year. He tells me the M59 has been there at least 20 years, maybe 30. When he ended up with the place he started fiddling with this stuff. Took him only a day to get the M59 running. Today was the first day I spoke with him on the phone. I remember you asking about the shovel and I asked him about it. Says it has a flat head 8 cylinder. He fiddled with that too and got it running. Says it moves and digs albeit underpowered (what he says). He was stunned that anyone would be looking for something like that and was eventually going to scrap it. It's available if one wants it.

Plans are in place and Scott (Tie6044) will be moving the M59 200 miles south to his place for me probably Friday or Saturday. Woohoo, 200 miles down, 1700 to go! Thanks Scott!

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alrightythen, my M59 has made it's first leg of the long voyage to sunshine. Scott reports that it took a little while but they got it running at the sellers place. The previous owner (before the seller) had put a block of wood under the bed to keep water from puddling in the bed. Scott advised me that once running he was able to lift the bed and remove the wood. This tells me that all the critical dump parts are there. Woohoo! I'm so pumped up over this new truck. Anyway, he was able to drive it up on the trailer and it's now at his place on the outskirts of Mpls waiting on me to schedule the next leg of the journey. Scott is going to take some pics today for me. I'd just like give a big public thanks to him for running over 200 miles with his truck and trailer to go get this and then storing it for as long as I need it. This is the kind of membership that makes Steel Soldiers so much more than the greatest MV website in existence. I am deeply indebted to you Scott!

Kenny

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, could you post up the zip code where its at now(and maybe the next destination if there is one yet)? It might give a better picture in the minds of others, that might be able to help you get this thing home. (I wish I was on a leg of it's journey, I would love to help) Good luck and I'm happy for you too!:-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here you go Eric. It's in Blaine MN 55014. Depending on the rates I get I may ship it to metro Cincinnati 45002, metro Atlanta 30680, Live Oak FL 32064 or Clermont FL 34711. Ultimately its going to Loxahatchee FL 33470. I wasn't going to actively search for shipping until after the new year. Gotta save some bucks first. All these areas have members that would help out and store the truck. What a great community of folks here at Steel Soldiers.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is so true JW. That ZIP I'll probably never forget.

Wade right? I'm horrible with names. The M342 has an 11' bed where the M59 has a 9' bed. The 342 has twin lift cylinders vs a single on the M59. With the shorter bed, the M59 shares the same short wheelbase as the 275 tractor. The M342A2 could also be fitted with troop seats, don't think the M59 was and of course all the M59s were gassers. Later M342A2s were multifuels.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Ruppster, do either of these trucks have the tool box/spare tire rack still behind the cab? Looking for said items.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few of the many pics that Scott took for me. Look, can you see it in there? Scott reports that it is in really good shape for a truck that is 55 years old and added that the bed is really solid. This is so cool!

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So when did the military begin adding turn signals to M44 series trucks? This truck wouldn't have had them originally, no?

It does look very solid Kenny. :wink:

Wow, I just noticed you can still see the old school USA lettering on the left side of the tailgate. Amazing.

Last edited:

OD_Coyote

Man that is a sweet rig Kenny! You gotta like the short wheelbase of the M59.
I guess I will have to live my dream of owning a duece dump truck through you. Please keep the pics coming sir!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a grill/radiator guard you can have. It isn't yellow, but you could paint it to match if ya want.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's got a good temporary home right now at my place, it's in good company and blends right in with mine-if it wasn't a dump it would be hard to pick out :-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, no turn signals at that time but they did have parking lights and blackouts on the front. I have much work to do with this truck but the basics are there and solid. Scott says it runs pretty good when warmed up but coolant comes out as fast as it goes in. Hole is undetermined but if it's a block, I'm going to really be unliked around here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks