• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Project?

Look what followed me home from the scrap metal recyclers today. I went to sell some batteries and scrap I had laying around and found this truck sitting in line to be crushed. I had to save it. Not sure what the plan is for it yet but I couldn't just watch it get destroyed. She's not pretty and needs work in all phases but the engine did fire up for me so that's promising and it even moved around the yard and off the trailer under it's own power. Brakes need work they are completely inop but that's no surprise. 1st gear is completely gone it pops out as soon as you release the clutch even if you try holding it in gear. I don't even want to get started on the elec system but it needs major attention to say the least. On to the positive it does have a hardtop, engine coolant style cab heater as well as an airshift T-case. It's also relatively rust free aside from a few very minor areas along the front cab corners. Well that's it for now

Attachments

rustystud

You are one lucky dude ! You should buy some Lottery tickets ! That truck was a steal ! Any truck that even looks military around here sells for mucho denero. No matter the condition.

Thanks Rusty I did pay about double scrap value for it but it was still a fairly good deal. Those scrappers are Ruthless once they find out your interested in something. I haggled back and forth for an hour before we finally settled on a price and he still acted like I was steeling it or something. I almost walked away a few times but I'm glad I got her home after all

The truck was only about 15 miles from my house so the recovery didn't cost much. Some fuel for my dodge pickup and lunch for my buddy that helped. The truck I might have paid a little much for. I gave 1200$ cash and some work on the guys powerstroke . Depending on what you value the work at probably about $1700 total. Would have been exponentially more if he took that truck to the dealer but that's about what I would of charged him. I live in a border town so any kind of labor bound job doesn't pay what it should. Theres too many people willing to break there back for pennies it really ruins the job market for everyone. Especially those of us that are trained and educated in our field but that's enough of a rant. It was a fair deal. It's just that I know what he payed for the truck so I can't help but feel like I got hustled a little, but hey thats the way it goes. It only took me about an hour and a half to fix his truck so I guess I came out ok?

tobyS

Considering it will cost much more to put 395's around it than you have totally invested at this point, you have only began to throw money at it. Welcome to our addiction. Burning money is faster but you don't have tires to kick then.

Understood this isn't my first duece or military vehicle. It's a very expensive hobby (addiction) but I've already been bitten by the green bug so what can I do about it now :driver:

Progress! So I got some work done on the old junkyard refugee in the last couple days. Lots of electrical/ wiring repair. Got power to dash and lights working, most of the guages working still gotta figure out oil pressure and fuel level gauges. Got a functioning fuel pump after piecing 1 together from several. Fingers crossed that it lasts awhile. Pulled seats so I could do a thorough cleaning and diag transmission 1st gear issue. Found 1st gear on countershaft completely gone and several teeth on the sliding 1st/reverse gear damaged bent. Check out the carnage!20180218_161718.jpg20180218_182848.jpg20180218_154042.jpg

Also realized that it was a M109a3 as per the data plate. Not sure why but I could of swore I remember it being a cargo truck? Wish it still had the van box on it I would love to do an overland camper build. Oh well one day... A few pics of my fuel pump repair. Pump portion fell apart couldnt find the pieces in the tank after fishing around with a magnet and my hand so I just pulled one off a locked up pump I had laying around. Sounds good and made good pressure hope it lasts awhile

Attachments