• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Project

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much to the dismay of my wife I have a new project headed my way. I picked up an M52a2 that isn’t running that will be here this week. Hopefully it doesn’t cause a divorce..
Hopefully there are a few of you ready to give some good pointers and some mental support along the way.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received the truck today and after the initial “what was I thinking “ moment and dragging it into the yard started to do the inspection.
Engine is a LDS 465-1. 1991 Tooelle rebuild.
Rear Fenders are a bit bent.
One side and one front window needs replacing.
No seats
No brakes
No water in radiator
Exhaust pipe is toast
Front axle needs new seals and boots
Truck is a 1968 and has original tires!!
Overall very little rust for the age.
I think for $1500 it’s not bad at all😁
My wife DOES NOT concur...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I received the truck today and after the initial “what was I thinking “ moment and dragging it into the yard started to do the inspection.
Engine is a LDS 465-1. 1991 Tooelle rebuild.
Rear Fenders are a bit bent.
One side and one front window needs replacing.
No seats
No brakes
No water in radiator
Exhaust pipe is toast
Front axle needs new seals and boots
Truck is a 1968 and has original tires!!
Overall very little rust for the age.
I think for $1500 it’s not bad at all😁
My wife DOES NOT concur...
I second the request for pictures!

Hopefully the wife will think it is wonderful one day soon :)
Maybe when it rumbles to life that will make her smile...

Seems like a darn good price.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will getting some pictures up tomorrow. I’m going to try to take this rehab a little slower than my 923. So far I’ve only ordered the filter kit for it from Memphis. I’ll probably also order a new fuel cut off as this one is seized up.
Does anyone have any idea what to do with 75 gallons of old diesel???

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old diesel - if it doesn't have overt signs of life in it, it's probably OK, especially if its JP8.

I ran a tank of JP8 through a truck that I know for a fact had been sitting since 2003.

I'd be tempted to run it through the filters on a transfer tank in any event.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read you can rehab old diesel by adding ether to it. I think I’m going to drain it into a holding tank and get a better look at it. With the price of fuel lately it can’t hurt to at least get a good look at it and possibly filter it and use a gallon or two at a time.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I read you can rehab old diesel by adding ether to it. I think I’m going to drain it into a holding tank and get a better look at it. With the price of fuel lately it can’t hurt to at least get a good look at it and possibly filter it and use a gallon or two at a time.
Like @98G mentioned, if you have a "fresh from the military" truck with something in the fuel tank - it should be JP8. That fuel doesn't "grow" like truck stop diesel. It should smell differently than regular diesel too.

@frank8003 has several threads on this site with many discussions about "fuel polishing". A lot of his early discussions are about his Deuce with a Multi Fuel but well worth your time reading about cleaning fuel.

As you mentioned, saving those dollars / reusing that fuel are worth some time on your part!

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much to the dismay of my wife I have a new project headed my way. I picked up an M52a2 that isn’t running that will be here this week. Hopefully it doesn’t cause a divorce..
Hopefully there are a few of you ready to give some good pointers and some mental support along the way.
Been there, done that. Gratefully, I did not understand my better half completely, but she more or less told me to stay in the Netherlands than coming back with that green monster. Both of us are happy I am still here.

Probably I downloaded this from Steelsoldiers, or I came across it elsewhere.
Read the attached file. A bit long, but we owe it to our better halves.

And if we idiots are extremely lucky, read the last paragraph.

Attachments

Last edited:

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some more pictures. The tanks are actually really clean and the fuel looks good and smells correct.
One interesting note/question for anyone that might know. Why is the transfer case white?
This is the 2nd old 5 ton I have come across with a white transfer case and I’m curious what the story is about them. I would assume it’s not the original because everything else is green.

Attachments

Superthermal

Kickin Project! Where do all of you guys score your rides from! Seems I dont have a good feed to locate rigs as they come up for sale... like a friend of a friends second cousins brother in-laws co-worker ... had this for sale and...now its mine... LOL Looks like you have a lot to do on this one but cool stuff! Good luck!

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will have to get some decent tires on it before driving it. I will probably go ahead and put some 395s on it assuming I can get it running.
I’m waiting for some filters to come in before I start going through the fuel system and getting everything ready to try and fire it up.
I also need to replace the battery cables. They sound very “crunchy “

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well...I got everything hooked up and NO JOY!!
The motor seems to be seized up. I even took off the radiator and put a socket on it and it doesn’t budge. Anyone got any ideas on how to try and free this up?

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks