• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Project

Milt51

Hello all,

Starting a new project, 54 M38A1 Jeep, gonna need lotsa help on this one!! Al the mechanical is there, engine is stuck, trans and t case are free. Most all of the 24 volt stuff is gone, still have one b/o taillight. Tub (all the sheet metal for that matter) is pretty rough, but has no rust. Still checking it all out, if everyone is interested, I will post updates as it goes.

Thanks, Milt

Attachments

gungearz

That's a big project. I don't doubt your ability but good luck. You know were all here to help. I would use that as a parts truck. Might be a fortune to get her back together.

zout

Absolutely rebuildable - depending on the size of your wallet and ability.

I have a thread here under the M38A1's of a couple projects I got my hands on the end of 2011. I pretty much have it all in pic's of the process I used - not saying good or bad.

Just want something to drive around in ? or you trying to get is as close to restored ? or want a museum piece ?

G503 as well is a good site for parts getting disposed of for sale on jeeps as well as many vendors selling new stuff. I personally used Midwest Military as John has lots of "metal" for sale plus just about everything you need if you want new to stick er back together. I suggest go back to 24v.

Good luck and keep the pics coming in of whatever you decide.

army inc

Yes it does look like a big project. If you have all the time in the world (Like I do on mine) it will help mentally by spreading out the cost of the restoration over time. It can be done though. Like others said, check G503.com and willysmjeeps.com You can download the manuals and everything you need from either of those sites. Good luck and keep us posted!

Milt51

I have located a running engine and a second T90 to add to the parts pile, a running engine is a good thing to have while rebuilding the original, also would up with some GPW parts in the trade.

Milt51

Absolutely rebuildable - depending on the size of your wallet and ability.

I have a thread here under the M38A1's of a couple projects I got my hands on the end of 2011. I pretty much have it all in pic's of the process I used - not saying good or bad.

Just want something to drive around in ? or you trying to get is as close to restored ? or want a museum piece ?

G503 as well is a good site for parts getting disposed of for sale on jeeps as well as many vendors selling new stuff. I personally used Midwest Military as John has lots of "metal" for sale plus just about everything you need if you want new to stick er back together. I suggest go back to 24v.

Good luck and keep the pics coming in of whatever you decide.

At this point I'm shooting for what some consider a "motor pool" restoration, serviceable and useable inside and out, have found repro tub and sheet metal, might go that route later after the mechanical is done. It would be cool to be able to drive it around during the process...

army inc

At this point I'm shooting for what some consider a "motor pool" restoration, serviceable and useable inside and out, have found repro tub and sheet metal, might go that route later after the mechanical is done. It would be cool to be able to drive it around during the process...
I'm shooting for a motor pool resto on mine as well. I'm also trying to keep it as close to factory as possible. If a few bolts are miss matched and new, and some of the guts are newer, oh well. It will still work and still look like it did in the motor pool. Great find on all the stuff man!

I know where you're at! I consider my A1 a motor pool class jeep. And I tell you. I love it I'm currently swapping engines right now.

jeeplvr247

Good luck with the resto. I am trying to do a rolling restoration on mine, the only problem is that every time I get it rolling I find another thing to fix:smile: Even though it is not perfect, it still turns a lot of heads and 99% of people can not tell the little things that are missing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks