• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New proud German owner of a M923A1 (02/1984)

Phoenix MB

Wilkommen, Ich lebte in Mannheim 3 Jahre und Friedberg 6 Monate.
Great! Thank you for your comment and for that information. So you might become my translation in hard situations. :tigger:

You are a vendor of this community, when I read it right?! Could I purchase parts from you as well?

Greetings to Texas....Btw to all other states of the US and Canada as well :beer:

Phoenix MB

Sorry, but I don't know where to share my first experiences with my "Big M" and show up some pictures of a big German Airsoft - Event (Dark Emergency 3).
20150511_185826.jpg
20150511_191848.jpg
DSC_0517.jpg
20150509_071339.jpg
DSC_0545.jpg
IMG-20150512-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20150512-WA0007.jpg
I was acting as transporter and "delivered" the troops to their HQs. It was a lot of fun and the M923A1 was a real eye catcher, because other vehicles belonged to the Russian Army.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the hobby, friendships and events. We hope you will bring your truck with the huge convoy that comes from Europe (all over) to the "War and Peace" event in july over here in the U.K. Friends of ours come from Dusseldorf in convoy for this event (and other occasions just for friendship and occasional meet ups. (Parties!). Oh, and to buy English chocolate and stuff!.

Phoenix MB

Welcome to the hobby, friendships and events. We hope you will bring your truck with the huge convoy that comes from Europe (all over) to the "War and Peace" event in july over here in the U.K. Friends of ours come from Dusseldorf in convoy for this event (and other occasions just for friendship and occasional meet ups. (Parties!). Oh, and to buy English chocolate and stuff!.
Hi!
That sounds very interesting to my. I should get the ability to contact these friends to figure out how to "attach" me and my truck to the convoy. :)
Greetings to London

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from a fellow European from two neighboring countries (Czech Republic, Netherlands). Did you got the truck through a surplus sale or from a private party?

I had the same paperwork problems with my M51A2 from 1973 but in the end I got a Dutch-EU vehicle approval backdated to 1973 so the vehicle has to fulfill the rules of 1973, not of 2011. More on what the Dutch TUV had to say about the truck in this post. And the final result in this short thread.

One quite unexpected problem I had is that the original pintle hook (anhängerkupplung) is not legal in the EU. So I installed a "Maulkupplung" but can switch back to the original pintle quite easy.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck looks great even after your mechanic was working on it. Looks like he managed to get away with just doing the LED headlight upgrade! How do the tail lights look? Awesome that you did that for Airsoft, some guys here were talking about one of the big series and were looking for some trucks out in California.

Phoenix MB

Welcome from a fellow European from two neighboring countries (Czech Republic, Netherlands). Did you got the truck through a surplus sale or from a private party?

I had the same paperwork problems with my M51A2 from 1973 but in the end I got a Dutch-EU vehicle approval backdated to 1973 so the vehicle has to fulfill the rules of 1973, not of 2011. More on what the Dutch TUV had to say about the truck in this post. And the final result in this short thread.

One quite unexpected problem I had is that the original pintle hook (anhängerkupplung) is not legal in the EU. So I installed a "Maulkupplung" but can switch back to the original pintle quite easy.
Hi Robo McDuff!
Sorry for my extreme delay. Thanks for your reply on my introduction threat. I still got the pintle hook and used it meanwhile without any problems in Germany. The funny part are my papers for the truck. Before I received my oldtimer-licenc I was allowed to use the original hook only for maneuvers and now the only data seen in my oldtimer-licence papers are the weight, size, manufacturer, the power of the engine, but nothing about anything else including the hook. So if the police will stop me now, there will nothing tell them, that I'm not allowed to use it.

I'm thinking of visiting the "war and peace" event next year. Is there a possibility to meet up with some other "veterans" already in Germany??? That would be pretty cool to build up a real military convoy with oldtimers. ;-)

Greetings

Phoenix MB

Truck looks great even after your mechanic was working on it. Looks like he managed to get away with just doing the LED headlight upgrade! How do the tail lights look? Awesome that you did that for Airsoft, some guys here were talking about one of the big series and were looking for some trucks out in California.
Hi bikeman!
Thanks for your reply! Glad you like it. Yeah, the mechanic did a very good job. He changed the headlights into H4, which are much more easier to repair and which are wanted by law. The direction lights moved a little down in the original taillights and replaced the camo-taillights, as they are not allowed on German streets also, so the rear sight of view and the tail lights kept it's original style and shape.
"Big-M" did also a few "services" on airsoft fields and earned a lot of respect of many airsoft-players. I really like this spartan truck, just need to get the Softtop painted into woodland camo, replace the street wheels with the super tires and a lightweight mount for my airsoft MG would be awesome!

Greetings

AZK9

Glad to read that you and your truck are doing well! :-D

Welcome from Arizona, USA and best of luck with your awesome truck! [thumbzup]

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Robo McDuff!
Sorry for my extreme delay. Thanks for your reply on my introduction threat. I still got the pintle hook and used it meanwhile without any problems in Germany. The funny part are my papers for the truck. Before I received my oldtimer-licenc I was allowed to use the original hook only for maneuvers and now the only data seen in my oldtimer-licence papers are the weight, size, manufacturer, the power of the engine, but nothing about anything else including the hook. So if the police will stop me now, there will nothing tell them, that I'm not allowed to use it.

I'm thinking of visiting the "war and peace" event next year. Is there a possibility to meet up with some other "veterans" already in Germany??? That would be pretty cool to build up a real military convoy with oldtimers. ;-)

Greetings
I would be very careful with that, better check it beforehand. If your papers do not mention that you have a hook or any form of coupling device and they do not mention any maximum weight that you can tow, then for the law, this probably means that you are not allowed to town ANYTHING at all. The veteran papers might let you get away with it but I would not risk it.

War and Peace. Would love to go there once, but with the fuel prices and the ferry prices, going there with my M51A2 would cost and arm and a leg and the rest. Fuel money and ferry or Eurotunnel together would already be over US $ 2,000. My monthly wages vary around $ 500 to 1200/month, so go figure.

If you need help with translations for anything, let me know. As a Dutchman with good old-fashioned education, my German is very good both ready and writing, my English is second native tong.

Phoenix MB

I would be very careful with that, better check it beforehand. If your papers do not mention that you have a hook or any form of coupling device and they do not mention any maximum weight that you can tow, then for the law, this probably means that you are not allowed to town ANYTHING at all. The veteran papers might let you get away with it but I would not risk it.

War and Peace. Would love to go there once, but with the fuel prices and the ferry prices, going there with my M51A2 would cost and arm and a leg and the rest. Fuel money and ferry or Eurotunnel together would already be over US $ 2,000. My monthly wages vary around $ 500 to 1200/month, so go figure.

If you need help with translations for anything, let me know. As a Dutchman with good old-fashioned education, my German is very good both ready and writing, my English is second native tong.
I now someone in Germany who is able to get an offical licence to use the original hook, Robo McDuff. He told me on the phone that he only needs to get to the "TÜV" (these guys are responsable to give you an official GO for German streets) with a M939-truck that pulls a trailer. That´s what he told to me. :beer:

Yesterday I pulled a 2 to-trailer from Magdeburg till Hannover (distance about 165 km) and another problem was, that the electric didn´t work. So a friend of mine had to drive behind me in a convoy to protect the rear of the trailer for being crashed by someone else who would not see any breaking lights. And in this formation after 3 hours we reached our destination without problems. Even a police car passed very slow and checked my truck and the trailer. I wasn´t worried that they will stop me and give me a tiket for using the original hook, but for the not working electrisity. For good sake they passed on and continued their patrol on the Autobahn. It was an adventure I don´t need to repeat. :recovry4x4:

Could somebody help me to get a kind of blueprints and / or detailed pictures of the light wight mount for the M939 series?!?!? So I might rebuild me my own MG-Mount. :drool:

Kindly,
Markus

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks