• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Purchase, Road trip from Tampa to Orlando

Johny5

Hello all. Long time lurker, well I finally started the process to buy a M35A2. Hopefully between Aug 19-22 I will have the title in hand and be able to drive it home.

As this will be my first time with the truck and it hasn't had all the much road time in the last year or two I just wanted to drop a line out to everyone to see if I could get some contacts on my way home in case I run into trouble and need a tow to a parking lot for repairs. The truck seems road ready but I don't like putty Murphy to the test.

My trip will start in Tampa and end in Longwood. I will be planning on taking I4 for 90% of the trip, unless Downtown and the attractions area have heavy traffic. I might take the 429 to bypass that section and end up in Mainland.

Thanks guys!

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool congrats! Wish I was close to help. Read the manuals check fluids... MAKE SURE YOU CAN STOP! Enjoy welcome

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Johny5

Thanks, I did an inspection last weekend, everything was good. Only issue I found that would prevent me from wanting to drive was we could get the running lights on, but the breaks/blinkers wouldn't work. It was also raining so I did not spend a lot of time on the issue. All of the other issues I found were age related or common issues (fuel gauge was off etc)

TGP (IL)

Try working the light switch levers back and forth several times to clean the contacts.
I have had good luck with that in the past on trucks that sat a long time.

Good Luck and enjoy your truck.
Tom

infidel got me

recovery

I-4 is a mess around Orlando with all the construction. Don't forget that truck don't run much more than 55 mph. You are going to hear a lot of choice words and see a lot of middle fingers. Can you do a early morning or late night trip if you get the lights working. 429 it around Orlando and you should be fine. Good luck with the recovery!

Last edited:

Johny5

TGP - I'll give that a try first. Thanks for the input.

I-4 is a mess around Orlando with all the construction. Don't forget that truck don't run much more than 55 mph. You are going to hear a lot of choice words and see a lot of middle fingers. Can you do a early morning or late night trip if you get the lights working. 429 it around Orlando and you should be fine. Good luck with the recovery!
Oh I haven't forgotten the top speed. I just don't want to work out my clutch foot that much on I4 in traffic. As far as the choice words, who cares? I have a deuce!

The ear to ear grin, I've had that from the moment I left the truck and I was out of sight of the seller. Although I think it was showing anyways! I'm going on day 5 and still sitting here thinking about it.

Jermyjudge

I'm jealous. I have been trying to decide between a duece and 5 ton for use on my farm. Congratulations and hope you have a safe uneventful trip home.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratz!!!

The MEMBER MAP Button in the header of each SS Forum Webpage is your FRIEND.
Look up and possibly send a PM to any members along your route who might not log in here often and therefore might not be reading this thread. While you're there, drop a PIN at your own location as well.
I'm sure you'll find some stand-by or active assistance within the Membership.

Be blessed!
John

infidel got me

I should have posted this earlier, if you do have any issues, I'm about an hours ride from champions gate. I could help out if needed. Just take me a few to get to ya. Hopefully I'll see you drive by with the jokers smile planted on your face! Good luck on the recovery and be safe.

FloridaAKM

Good luck with your new ride. Remember, its going to be hot hot hot during the day, so try to start out early as possible. Check all your fluids & have a spare container of Dot 5 brake fluid. Plenty of water to hydrate you is a must & hearing protection! A fully charged cell phone is mandatory & a credit card for surprises along the way! Interstates are not a great place to be with that truck running 45 to 50 mph with the rest of the traffic running 80. Put a slow vehicle sign on the tailgate id you can get one. We will try to keep murphy entertained till you get home. Pictures or it didn't happen!

onemanarmy

I'd bleed'/flush the brakes, especially since it sat for a few years. Using your choice of brake fluid.

What year is the truck?

a spare tire, some spare wheel cylinders, check all the fluids top to bottom, a jack and lug wrench, extra water, plenty of wrenches

and pics

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter