• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Ride from Newbie member

kroctec

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum though some of you know me from other places. I thought you might like to see my latest acquisition which is an ex Royal Air Force Supacat Mk2A 6x6.

Questions and comments on this vehicle are welcome.

best regards from David Gudmunsen

Attachments

kroctec

Road legal in Europe but the are also in the USA and Canada so probably there too. They are currently in service with UK elite special forces (SAS Special air Service and SBS Special Boat Service) and I believe also with our Royal Marines. They have mostly been used for transporting men and gear especially across soft terrain, they are very easily air transportable even by helicopter.

best regards from David Gudmunsen

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome! That's pretty cool. There was one at the Aberdeen Rally this year, I will post some pics of it tomorrow.

That thing is in great shape.

kroctec

Hi Rich

Yes they are amphibious but are a bit short of free board. There is a special buoyancy pack available from the manufacturer which gives greater stability and load carrying.

Armada

Welcome to the club and congrats on a cool MV!! That's one you don't see everyday.... I like it! The ultimate swamp rig.
What kind of road manners does it have?? Top speed, etc.

kroctec

Hi there Armada,

Thanks for the welcome!

When I have had some experience driving the new ride I will let you know definitively about handling etc both on and off road. I can tell you that from hear say they are mild mannered on the road due to the fact that they have Ackerman steering, I hope I never make the mistake of using skid steer accidentally!!

Performance wise the earlier Mk2s which have a VW 1600 normally aspirated diesel have a top speed of just over 30mph. Our UK elite forces wanted something a little quicker, which resulted in the Mk3 powered by a VW 1900 turbo diesel - these have a top speed of something over 40mph.

Approach and departure angles are close to 60º. They are OK on 100% gradients and unladen will traverse 100% cross axle grades. Disadvantage is small ground clearance of about 9 inches below the hull, so a bit of care needed when running along rutted tracks (stay out of them and bridge across)

kroctec

Hi Guys

Further to questions about the Supacat I have managed to cull a full and comprehensive spec on the current Supascat. This has been added to my original posting and is downloadable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks