• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Rig!

KeelanDavis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy y’all,

I’m new to the forum. I just picked up an unmolested, rust free and well running M1031 CUCV with just under 32k miles. I bought it in Hot Springs, Arkansas and I drove it back to my hometown in East Texas about 4 hours away and it gave me zero issues, and I got 22mpg. I’m pretty proud of it, and in the 4 days that I have owned it I have had 8 people ask to buy it. Not going to sell it any time soon, it’s too cool. Anyways, I’m new to CUCVs, but I’m not new to old equipment. What should I do, anything in particular I need to replace or double check? Can y’all give me any tips? Can I use civilian K30 rubber bushings and shocks on the suspension?

E2BEA9A0-B9D7-4E42-90A1-CB081B617715.jpeg
E736CF5F-173C-448A-9C6D-45AA0A89DBF1.jpeg
E5708052-BD68-4A45-8D71-BF2D323BBB4C.jpeg
9A54999B-E351-4576-BD20-9ECC7FEFA9F3.jpeg

Jeepadict

Congrats on the new ride, and welcome to the community!

1) Go into the SS library and download all the applicable TM PDFs. This will help in the wrenching shenanagains, and also give light to the unique stuff added by the military.

2) It's just an old Chevy pickup with some extra lights, a weird charging system, and no A/C. 98% of it is just an 84 SRW K30 (some may refer to it as a D30) with the 6.2L Diesel and TH400 trans. All years of the CUCV were clones of the 84 year for parts continuity purposes. If NAPA/Carquest/Rock Auto don't have what you're looking for...then go to the restoration parts companies: LMC, Tuckers, Classic Industries, Classic Parts, NPD, LS Fab, USA1, YearOne, etc. Whatever you do, don't tell anyone that you're talking to about parts that it's a CUCV...you'll just confuse them. Get ready for a cornucopia of aftermarket toys/upgrades/mods available for the Squarebody world!

If you find yourself looking for a CUCV-specific part, find the part number and/or NSN from the parts TM. Put a post on SS "parts wanted" section, folks here have all kinds of stuff laying around. If that comes back dry, put them into Google...eBay has a surprising number of items listed by NSN. There's also surplus yards that have things available such as Jack's in Tuscon.

There's a plethra of posts on SS about different modifications, fixes, restorations, repowering, etc...a guy could spend days if not weeks just reading and absorbing knowledge folks have typed out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck! What are your plans for it colourwise?

I'm intrigued by the 22mpg, does it have an overdrive transmission in it?

One thing to replace, if you still have it installed, is the old coffin box fuel filter. They can cause problems and the filters themselves are getting hard to find.
There are a bunch of posts on here for changing over to spin-on filters.

And yes, the popularity of these old square body Chevys is way up, I get serious offers to buy my M1028A2 every time I drive it. :)

Link to the CUCV manual section -
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/forums/cucv-tms.114/

Cheers

KeelanDavis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck! What are your plans for it colourwise?

I'm intrigued by the 22mpg, does it have an overdrive transmission in it?

One thing to replace, if you still have it installed, is the old coffin box fuel filter. They can cause problems and the filters themselves are getting hard to find.
There are a bunch of posts on here for changing over to spin-on filters.

And yes, the popularity of these old square body Chevys is way up, I get serious offers to buy my M1028A2 every time I drive it. :)

Link to the CUCV manual section -
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/forums/cucv-tms.114/

Cheers
It’s all stock, so it still has the TH400. I only went about 50mph the whole way back, and I didn’t floor it anywhere. As far as paint goes I don’t really know yet. The fire department actually did a pretty good job with painting it, so I’m debating on just leaving it. If I were to repaint it, then I would paint it a nice forest green color. I’m thinking about selling the box and generator/air compressor combo to recoup some of my money, but I also hate to do that because I want to keep it original.

KeelanDavis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the new ride, and welcome to the community!

1) Go into the SS library and download all the applicable TM PDFs. This will help in the wrenching shenanagains, and also give light to the unique stuff added but the military.

2) It's just an old Chevy pickup with some extra lights, a weird charging system, and no A/C. 98% of it is just an 84 SRW K30 (some may refer to it as a D30) with the 6.2L Diesel and TH400 trans. All years of the CUCV were clones of the 84 year for parts continuity purposes. If NAPA/Carquest/Rock Auto don't have what you're looking for...then go to the restoration parts companies: LMC, Tuckers, Classic Industries, Classic Parts, NPD, LS Fab, USA1, YearOne, etc. Whatever you do, don't tell anyone that you're talking to about parts that it's a CUCV...you'll just confuse them. Get ready for a cornucopia of aftermarket toys/upgrades/mods available for the Squarebody world!

If you find yourself looking for a CUCV-specific part, find the part number and/or NSN from the parts TM. Put a post on SS "parts wanted" section, folks here have all kinds of stuff laying around. If that comes back dry, put them into Google...eBay has a surprising number of items listed by NSN. There's also surplus yards that have things available such as Jack's in Tuscon.

There's a plethra of posts on SS about different modifications, fixes, restorations, repowering, etc...a guy could spend days if not weeks just reading and absorbing knowledge folks have typed out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thank you for the reply! I enjoy wrenching, and I’m sure the TMs will be a huge help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks