• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New rust protection for deuce this year

emr

OH MY !!!!!!!!!! YES WD 40 WILL REPELL MOISTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my, YES it is the best way and I speak from experience. but will need to be re done every few months, i have boat trailers that are 20 plus years old and i spray em with wd 2 to 3 times a year even the one i drop in the ocean, they look close to new,,,, NEVER believe an ol wives tale , always call the manufacturer, Sorry, but it is hard to believe anyone believes that....Randy

greenjeepster

Cosmoline sounds like another version of WD-40...

What is different about it?
Cosmoline does not come off. The military actually quit using it and has switched to vacuum packaging small items because it is too hard to remove.

I had an old Springfield rifle that was still packed in Cosmoline. I spent several years trying to clean it off so I could use the rifle. It looked great, no rust anywhere, but nothing I could find would clean it off.

One Cosmoline treatment of the under side of a truck would be all it needed EVER! It is combustible though up over 300 degrees so not a good choice for anything that could get hot.

While I agree that WD-40 is a perfectly good as a protector against rust with frequent applications; it is never my first choice for anything. WD-40 is long outdated. It was one of the first penetrating oils and since it's advent many better products have been developed. Using WD-40 for a rust preventative is like taking blackstrap molasses to treat constipation. It will work, but taste terrible and there are many more effective treatments available now days.

Last edited:

Blood_of_Tyrants

I have read that the best way to get cosmoline off parts is boiling water. Great for small parts as the cosmoline will melt off and float to the top, but not practical for large parts.

TexAndy

sounds like what you want is a protectant, rather than a lubricant.

Boeshield makes some good stuff in that area.

eta: The problem with WD-40 is not that it doesn't repel moisture (it does). The problem is that it doesn't last very long. Nor is it meant to. It's not a long-term protectant. Nor is it meant to be a lube.

Don't believe me? Take three steel plates. Leave one alone, wax one with floor wax, and spray the last with WD-40. See the results for yourself.

Last edited:

emr

WD is a protectant also, call the company, I also can attest to the fact. in fact a very good one...30 years of using it, now as far as a break free Kroil is on top PB blaster a close second, ...Oil does not attract or mix with water ever....

fireman9

Yes, I agree that is has past it's prime with all the newer chemicals on the market it still has its uses.

The following is from WD40's web site

WD-40 Frequently Asked Questions

How long does WD-40 last after application?

While this may vary depending on the application, WD-40 remains effective even after it appears to dry. The corrosion and rust protection ingredients remain adhered to the surface. External conditions may, of course, require additional applications of WD-40 for maximum protection.

bassetdeuce

sounds like what you want is a protectant, rather than a lubricant.

Boeshield makes some good stuff in that area.

eta: The problem with WD-40 is not that it doesn't repel moisture (it does). The problem is that it doesn't last very long. Nor is it meant to. It's not a long-term protectant. Nor is it meant to be a lube.

Don't believe me? Take three steel plates. Leave one alone, wax one with floor wax, and spray the last with WD-40. See the results for yourself.
Boeshield is expensive. Its like cosmoline in a spray can though. I've heard the outboard mechanics just love it when they have to work on an outboard motor with many years/layers of the stuff all over the powerhead :p.

wjruth

Fluid Film - Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

Originally designed for use in war ships (salt) and has been aproved for use by NASA. I use it on the bottom of my cars as well as the inside of my snowblower. I have found many uses for it - it stays wet and won't just wash off. It stopped the corrosion on my wifes battery terminals as well. They sell it in every size from a small aerosol can (what I use) to 55 gallon drums. I just pick it up at my local John Deer store.

BugEyeBear

Fluid Film - Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

Originally designed for use in war ships (salt) and has been aproved for use by NASA. I use it on the bottom of my cars as well as the inside of my snowblower. I have found many uses for it - it stays wet and won't just wash off. It stopped the corrosion on my wifes battery terminals as well. They sell it in every size from a small aerosol can (what I use) to 55 gallon drums. I just pick it up at my local John Deer store.
Looks Good!

:?: How do you remove it?

I'm thinking of using something like this to quickly treat existing external rust spots. BUT later I would want to remove it to properly undercoat & paint. So OBVIOUSLY I don''t want to use anything that will leave any residue that could compromise the primer or paint integrity.

Nonotagain

Do a search for Daubert Chemical company and a product that they manufacture (TECTYL 511M) to Mil-Prf-16173 type 1 grade 5.

It's removable via steam, is easily applied and costs about $30 per gallon.

chgofiveo

Ive got the best of all!!! I park my truck in a heated shed, right next to the corn picker... and dont drive it... No snow, No salt , No rust and spring is right around the corner

:mrgreen:

All of you have a great day!!

M725

Looks Good!

:?: How do you remove it?

I'm thinking of using something like this to quickly treat existing external rust spots. BUT later I would want to remove it to properly undercoat & paint. So OBVIOUSLY I don''t want to use anything that will leave any residue that could compromise the primer or paint integrity.
Why put it on? You all ready have the rust. The time you spend putting the stuff on and taking it off you could have fixed the rust spots. That stuff is to prevent rust not to stop it from spreading
They are a lot of products out there you paint right over the rust and it seals & which stops it, in about the same amout of time.
The ones I have used, POR-15 and now Eastwood's rust encapsulator. I found Eastwood's Rust Encapsular easier to use.
But if you want to go the other way they have undercoatings, and that is all they are and a pain to get off when rust forms under them.
eastwood.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks