• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Seats for CUCV

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good clean up. Congrats on the attempt and the success! I am NOT an expert though. All that really matters is that you thought about it, you planned it, and you DID it! ENJOY!
God bless,
Tony:wink:

CycleJay

Congratulations, looks good.

Sounds like you did a good job being safe with the mold handling, tansport, cleanup,
and coilor change.

By the way, did the seats bolt right up to the original M1009 seat mounts,
or did you have to make any mods to make it fit?

I ask because I need to do some work on the seats in my M1009.

CycleJay

Gimpy,

Perhaps because of different years, and models (s-10 blazer, K5 blazer, C? blazer, etc..)
One seat could not possibly fit them all. At least I would not think so.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've merged the 2 threads. There is just no good reason to have 2 threads running on the exact same thing from the same member. This will also help with future searches.

stationjj

Cycle Jay,

You are right. From my research there was some concern about the seats from a civy Blazer fitting a Military Blazer. Yes the mounts are different.

I pulled seats from an 83 civy Blazer. The civy passenger side blazer seat has a seat that will lift up and tilt forward. This creates more room to access the back.

From what I understand the M1009 Blazer didn't have this. Correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway the mount from the civy are different than the mount I had on my M1009. My passenger seat was much like the drivers seat on the M1009. You have 6 bolts total. 2 in front, and 4 in back.

The civy passenger seat mount has 4 bolts total all in the front. The back has a hook that attaches to the latch in the floor. The M1009 has the latch in the floor.

The Civy passenger seat has the hook in back with 2 metal stands that aren't bolted to the floor at all. it works great in a civy as it has insulation and carpet. In a M1009 I see problems with a metal stand rubbing against a metal floor. I am looking to create a rubber base mat from a horse stall mats that I can get at Tractor Supply.

The civy passenger side seat should fit with no modifications. It does mount different from the M1009, but we do have the bolt holes on the M1009.

Concerning the Driver side seat. I haven't started restoration on it yet. I will say the seat mounts are different than what we have on the M1009. From what I could tell it should fit. again it uses different mounting holes. Also note the driver side seat back does not tilt forward as my current driver side seat does. This may be problem with me? I will try and see if I like it?

I talked to SEM today. The tacky feeling is normal, because of the way the vinyl was manufactured. They have a product that helps with this. Also after painting the vinyl with colorcoat and waiting for it to dry. You have to be careful not to rub or bruise it. Even though it's dry it's very sensitive. The SEM tech rep suggested I use there vinyl prep. He told me this will soften the vinyl that allows the colorcoat to stick better.

Hope this information helps.

stationjj

Timber

I've got two Blazers at the moment, my CUCV and a 79 civvy 2wd, so I've got a bunch of parts saved including extra seats I've come across. I do have a set of 88-91 Burb/Blazer captains chair buckets to put in the front of my CUCV and the correct civvy Blazer seat bases. Just eyeballing, I agree that the passenger side will bolt in but the driver side will probably only bolt in on the front. Mounting the rear looks like it will take some drilling. I'm planning on reinforcing the backside of the new holes and welding in nuts. That'll make it as good as factory. It's not hard work and the seats are wider and thicker - much more comfortable.

stationjj

I just got the Driver side completely refurbished today. I am waiting for vinyl colorcoat to dry.

I should have more information soon on how everything fits.

stationjj

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
stationijj,

Here's a thread I responded to 2 1/2 years ago that gives the correct paint color for your vinyl seats/dashboard/door panels...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/43124-whats-maroon-colored-interior.html

on post #26, here is what I said:

Go to your local auto body paint store (assuming there is one in your city). Mine read the color code for my vinyl directly from the code panel attached to the glove box door.

It's called 'Bronze Metallic'

The guy mixed me up a quart of

SEM

Color Coat

85 GM

76D Bronze Met

I then bought a reusable aerosol
paint setup. I think I spent like $100 for the paint AND the aerosol, which has replaceable charges and you put your paint in a glass jar that attaches to bottom of the charge tube.

I just checked my second can of SEM vinyl paint

It was

SEM

85 GM
76DN
Bronze

So, either of those paint codes would be considered correct for any of the CUCV's interior vinyl paint - the paint is not red and its not brown - hence the bronze color listed (never could figure out the names of colors)

stationjj

Wallew,

Thank you for your input.

I choose the maroon color because my interior on my M1009 was maroon already.
I am trying to keep color the same. My current seats have a black vinyl cover.

stationjj

stationjj

Grega

After I did my first seat I did notice that you could bruise the paint job after it was dry to the touch. I am talking a few hours of drying in 80 degree weather. After 24 hours of drying it was better.

So before I started the second seat. I call SEM tech support concerning bruising issue. They suggested I prep it differently. My prep work consisted of Bleach/water to kill mold and simply green to scrub the seat clean.

On the second go around I cleaned it the same way, but before I painted it. I used a SEM product called vinyl prep. It comes in a spray can and cost $12. It is suppose to help soften the vinyl before painting. This helps the paint stick better. SEM tech support also suggested I spray Tac Free. Tac free is like clear coating, and reduces the slight tacky feeling I have on some parts of the seat. I haven't been able to find any Tac Free in the Nashville TN area. So far I think the vinyl prep does help.

I am getting ready to mount the new driver seat. I am waiting for the mount to dry. It had some rust on it. I painted it with POR 15 BlackCote spray.

Hope this helps with your question?

stationjj

67_C-30

82 - 85 Camaro seats are the same as the seats that were used from the factory in M1009's. They came in some Cavaliers, Sunbirds also. There are new seat covers available in maroon is an almost exact match to the factory M1009 set covers. They don't have the small "basketweave" strip under the headrest area, but the pleats and cover are a match. They are the closest thing to stock that I've found.

Attachments

CycleJay

re; New Seats for CUCV

82 - 85 Camaro seats are the same as the seats that were used from the factory in M1009's. They came in some Cavaliers, Sunbirds also. There are new seat covers available in maroon is an almost exact match to the factory M1009 set covers. They don't have the small "basketweave" strip under the headrest area, but the pleats and cover are a match. They are the closest thing to stock that I've found.
Hello 67_C-30,

Does that mean if I find front seats from an 82-85 Camaro,
I can pull them out, and they will bolt right into my 1009,
with no modifications to "make it fit.."?

stationjj

The seat restoration project is done! This was something I wasn't sure exactly what heck I was doing. I the end I am quite pleased how everything turned out.

As Hannibal (A-Team) said "I Love it when a plan comes together!"

Getting the Driver side seat mounted was stubborn. It was a little more work getting driver seat mounted than I anticipated. The problem was getting the seat mount to lined up so I could get the bolts to go in straight. A pry bar helped a lot.

The driver side seat has 4 bolts up front. One of my front bolts holes is stripped/messed up. I could get a bolt half in and wouldn't go any further. I tried 3 different bolts. In the end it wasn't a deal breaker. I did run a bolt up from the bottom as to plug the hole and avoid any potential rattling issues inside the cab.

The front seats I pulled from an 83 K5 Blazer have come quite a long way. I did add a pair of neoprene seat covers I got on Amazon. FYI they are Rugged Ridge Part# 13212.53. They are designed for Jeeps, but fit very nicely on CUCV seats. These are good quality neoprene covers.

I think I am going to restore the rear bench seat next.

Pictures are below as followed

1. My original driver seat.
2. Civy K5 Blazer Seat after Pull.
3. Seat after Vinyl restoration.
4. Seat on Driver side Mounted.
5. Final seat with neoprene cover.

stationjj

Attachments

67_C-30

Hello 67_C-30,

Does that mean if I find front seats from an 82-85 Camaro,
I can pull them out, and they will bolt right into my 1009,
with no modifications to "make it fit.."?
Yes. I think you'll have the put sliders off the CUCV seats on them, but the seat itself is the same. I have a set and I've matched them up, and they are identical.

stationjj

67_C-30,

The seats from a early 80's Camaro are identical. If the mounts don't line up? Maybe you could replace with CUCV mounts?

Great information! Thanks for posting this! Maybe it will help other people wanting to replace seats? I remember when I started this seat project. I had a hard time finding a seat that would fit with no major modes.

The problem is finding an older 80's vehicle with parts to pull. I got lucky finding an early vehicle with half way decent seats. My advice to anyone looking to replace your front CUCV seats. Check local junk yards now. These early vehicles are still around, but are getting harder to find each day.

stationjj

CycleJay

re; New Seats for CUCV

I put leather power seats from a 2002 S10 in my 1031, had to PITA fab brackets to fit it with all the power stuff underneath, not worth it. standard S10 seats backs will flip forward enough so you can access the rear seat of your 1009 from either side. They may just bolt up to your sliders with little or no PITA fab work. Here's a pic so you get an idea of how they look in the truck. Oh I forgot, If you use the S10 seats, get the seat belts as well. Your old belt clip won't work with these seats.
Hello Wayne,

Please excuse my ignorance. But...
What is that stick coming out of the lid on the ammo can center console?

Good night,

wayne pick

Hea Jay, Thats the transmission shifter, I may either put another cup holder in it or put oil pressure, water temp, trans temp guages in it where you see the circles outlined on top. I haven't decided on putting the guages in yet. I velcro my electric snow plow control to the right of the shifter so I can shift and actuate the plow with one hand. The shifter itself is a cable type that is mounted under the 40mm can lid. It is usless for storing anything other than seldom used items like cleaning products. I have a saddle box under the flatbed for storage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks