• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New side exhaust

jeott

The guy that bobbed my deuce cut the exhaust off behind the tire to fit the 53s. This made for an even louder and smellier 13 hour ride home. I re-routed the exhaust out the side of the hood and wrapped it with 2" exhaust wrap for comfort and a rat-rod look. It makes for a more difficult air filter replacement but the sound and smell are well worth it.
Can anyone forsee any problems with this?

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I can't tell how much dip you have under the filter housing, but my biggest concern would be rain water getting to the turbo.

Edit: BTW, I like it.

Last edited:

Srjeeper

Anything and everything that can go down your stack, will, and go directly into the turbo. Water, snow, or whatever anybody would care to dump down there is headin for turbo city and could get $$$ in a hurry.

A plastic jug will keep stuff out for now, but you may want to reconsider this.

Alex400

You could put a raincap on it so when the engine is off it closes the exhaust. I would still suggest putting a jug or something over it when you don't use it for long periods of time so that if the rain cap happened to blow open, stuff wouldn't get inside.

NAPAONLINE®

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
check this

I would drop that Rube Goldberg outfit like a hot rock.

Get you a stock J-pipe, stack (and a muffler if you want it quieter) and flex pipe and run the exhaust like it was originally designed.

Or do like I did on my bobber.....get you a couple of HUMVEE fording exhaust pipes, some flex pipe and make you a cool set of stacks. A MIG welder is very helpful for this.

Attachments

Alex400

Get you a stock J-pipe, stack (and a muffler if you want it quieter) and flex pipe and run the exhaust like it was originally designed.

Or do like I did on my bobber.....get you a couple of HUMVEE fording exhaust pipes, some flex pipe and make you a cool set of stacks. A MIG welder is very helpful for this.
I was thinking of doing something similar when i get my deuce, except with one stack. I haven't been under a deuce in a while and was curious how much space there was under the truck to run the exhaust pipes?

jeott

Rube Goldberg? Wow. Is it that convoluted? Looked like the simplest route for me. With 53s, nothing fits inside the wheelwell except tires.

Jakob

I'm interested in the specific plumbing of that. Will it work with a stock bed, or is your flatbed moved back some?

nhdiesel

I think a flapper on top would be the simplest solution, but I would combine it with drilling a hole at the lowest spot. But from looking at the pics, the exhaust is the least of your problems. In Pic #3, it looks like there is zero room for suspension movement. Once the tire contacts the fender, something is gonna give- most likely bend the fender and tear up the tire.

Jim

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But from looking at the pics, the exhaust is the least of your problems. In Pic #3, it looks like there is zero room for suspension movement. Once the tire contacts the fender, something is gonna give- most likely bend the fender and tear up the tire.

Jim
I was seeing and thinking the same thing. Looks as though there isn't room to go over a parking bump and not hurt something. That's ALOT of rubber crammed into the wheel wells.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I'm interested in the specific plumbing of that. Will it work with a stock bed, or is your flatbed moved back some?
It prob wont work on a stock bed unless you want to move the whole bed back.
I bought that flatbed from a buddy of mine...it was 8x8...just the right size for my bobber.

If I remember correctly I set the bed back from the cab about 6 inches (the pipe is 2 1/4 OD)
to have some wiggle room.

I didn't notice the big tires in the first post.......mia culpa.:doh:

Here are a few pics of my fab job.

Attachments

Alex400

It prob wont work on a stock bed unless you want to move the whole bed back.
I bought that flatbed from a buddy of mine...it was 8x8...just the right size for my bobber.

If I remember correctly I set the bed back from the cab about 6 inches (the pipe is 2 1/4 OD)
to have some wiggle room.

I didn't notice the big tires in the first post.......mia culpa.:doh:

Here are a few pics of my fab job.
how did you get the exhaust from the passenger side to come up on the driver side?

gunner01

a 4 inch manual waste gate installed about 16 inches down from turbo would solve alot of issues.however you would always need to remember to open it for operation...As far as rain entering the stack, very doubtful because of the turn out stack, it would have to rain horizontally to enter. Wind blown snow would in fact enter,as well as anything the neighborhood kids might want to drop down the stack...... as for looks AWESOME

Alex400

a 4 inch manual waste gate installed about 16 inches down from turbo would solve alot of issues.however you would always need to remember to open it for operation...As far as rain entering the stack, very doubtful because of the turn out stack, it would have to rain horizontally to enter. Wind blown snow would in fact enter,as well as anything the neighborhood kids might want to drop down the stack...... as for looks AWESOME
a waste gate like that would work. You could get fancy and get an electric one that would open when you turn on the truck and turn off when you shut it down.

Thunder Racing - Exhaust Cut-Outs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks