• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New soldier, new steed

rbuster

New to the group and apparently bought my first green iron via GL today and will start on the EUC/payment process tomorrow, hopefully followed by recovery not too many days from now.

Had my heart set on that 11k mile contact maintenance M1031 from Redstone that sold today, but somebody else's heart was even setter, so it surpassed my budget. Then turned my attention to a 51k M1008A1 and won it.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=2122485&categoryId=1004

Didn't get to preview it. If any of you happen to have seen it in person I would be acutely interested in your observations.

My plans are to leave it about as is on paint scheme and equipment - freshen up the paint where needed, including the troop seat woodwork, restore the stenciled markings, and add the canvas cargo box cover. It'll do a fair amount of farm type work, but will be treated with care - not beat to death. Hopefully it will also be used to recover a few of its brothers from GL lots. I'm still wanting a contact maintenance truck.

I'm the sort of fella that has been around too many years to not know a few things and long enough to know I don't know it all, so your advice is always welcome. I won't burden you with all of my questions before searching the site, but no doubt some questions will be left over. I'll get back to you on that.

Last edited:

poppop

Welcome aboard!!! I am sorry for your sickness.:-D There is no cure and the only relief is to buy more and more and more--------

rbuster

Welcome aboard!!! I am sorry for your sickness.:-D There is no cure and the only relief is to buy more and more and more--------
Yea, I can feel that illness coming on strong. Good news is that after doing the math I discovered that the cost of this CUCV plus the cost of the divorce that might go with it is still much less than a new civilian pickup!

m38inmaine

That was me bidding on the M1031 and won it, pretty detemined this time around to get a good one, seems they are getting harder to find with the equipment still in tact. Good score on the M1008, hopefully it won't take much to get it running.

rbuster

That was me bidding on the M1031 and won it, pretty detemined this time around to get a good one, seems they are getting harder to find with the equipment still in tact. Good score on the M1008, hopefully it won't take much to get it running.
Well congratulations. I had hoped that the higher bidder was someone here on SS. I didn't get a chance to preview that truck, but all indications are that you got an exceptional one.

I want to warn you of one thing to keep in mind when you pick it up. Redstone requires 24 hour notice of everyone who will be with you or they won't get past the gate. My son accompanied me to pick up some surplus gear there last year and because he wasn't on "the list" he had to stand outside the gate for 2 hours while I struggled to load some very heavy equipment alone.

Anyhow the M1008 should work out ok for me. I have always done all of my own auto maintenance short of major rebuilds and my professional mechanic son wants to know if he can tag along on this recovery. I told him he could because I like him so much ;-)

m38inmaine

Thanks, I won't be picking it up, a SS veteran of Redstone will take care of that. I found a auto transporter heading back to Maine from Florida empty that is going to bring it back for me. Now all I need is GL's stamp of approval!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks