• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New SS M818 made it home!!

jwaller

I noticed the sprag in my 818 wont work right unless I'm up to full air pressure. 60psi and it just isnt enough. it will start to hiss and leak and nothing works right. let the air build to 120 and shes good to go no leaking or hissing.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
jwaller said:
I noticed the sprag in my 818 wont work right unless I'm up to full air pressure. 60psi and it just isnt enough. it will start to hiss and leak and nothing works right. let the air build to 120 and shes good to go no leaking or hissing.
Interesting... mine didn't work regardless of the pressure though. It would hiss going into 1st gear, but no clunk would follow. It wouldn't make any noise going into reverse. I think I will start with the valve on the tranny and make sure it is free and then move on to the actuator in the t-case.

I was going to drive it to the store tonight to pick up a few things, but I guess I have a couple of bad batteries because it was clicking the solenoid, but not enough to turn it over. I checked the voltage on all of them and 2 were around 14 while the other 2 were around 10. I'll probably bypass the 2 bad ones and start it on 2 for a while.

jwaller

I noticed when I got 4 new batteries, it wasnt long before 1 of them was down to 10 volts. with that 1 bad battery it would do the same as yours. It was under warrenty so soon as it was swapped I was good to go again an no problems since.

I would check the valve on top of the trans. I seem to remember somebody on here saying theirs was hooked up backwards or the vent was plugged or something odd. check to make sure all the lines are going to the right places.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had a 5 ton with a sprag that worked in reverse, but not in a forward gear. Ended up having to replace the sprag... Winslow tells me that, in his experience, one out of four 5 tons has a bad sprag.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks jwaller and bkubu. I'll check all of the air lines first before I tear into the valve. If the lines are OK then maybe the valve is gummed up. If that's OK, then I'll check the t-case actuator next. Looks like I need to pull the tranny inspection cover to get a good view of the valve from the top-side.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I jumped the 818 with my Excursion tonight and took it for a spin. Man, I love that truck. I think I am enjoying it more than the 923A2. It's something about that raw torque from the 855 Cummins, the 5-speed and the sporty performance. I haven't driven a bob-tail tractor before so I am not quite used to the brakes. It will lock the rears up if you get on the brakes hard. Some dufus slammed the brakes on and turned right in front of me tonight. He must have had a death wish or something. The rear tires barked a little when slowing it down. Overall, it seems like a real fun and solid truck. I think I'll go ahead and put 4 new 6TL's in the box. That way I never have to worry about it.

No.2Diesel

Yeah the 819s power steering pump did the same thing. Boy that thing must fly compared to a wrecker!

The 855 likes four batteries in good condition. One time we stopped and shut down the 855 after a little roadtrip and when we tried to restart a few minutes later it cranked it about 2° . Luckily I was with him in the Deuce and pull started the 819. With four batts there were no problems with hot starts again.

Great looking truck.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M818

Congrats Chris! Don't know how I missed this thread, too busy working on my own 5-ton truck tractor, I guess. :)
David is correct about the exhaust brake, an easy add-on that helps improve the braking on long down hill runs, used it a lot while traveling across the Rocky Mountains last year.
The xm757 has a hydraulic drive line brake, which is supposed to be equal in effectiveness to the Jake, will be fun to test that one some time in the future...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Thanks guys. I'm going to hit Winslow up for 4 new 6TL's of 6TMF's. I'll keep the 2 decent ones for a future project and sell the other 2 to the battery shop. I think I will pick up a couple of solargizers for it too.

I need to pull the sprag valve and see what's up next.

Bjorn, I definitely wouldn't mind an exhaust brake on it if I start pulling trailers.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I fired up the 818 tonight just to see if it would start in the 30-something temps that have recently arrived. I still have the crap batteries in it so I had to throw a jumper on there from the Excursion. After I got a little juice flowing I turned on the glow for about 30 secs, hit the pre-heat primer a few pumps and started cranking, it took about 20-30 seconds of cranking with some white smoke puffing, but then it fired right off. I pumped the primer for about 30 seconds more, kept the RPM's up and then shut off the pre-heat. I had a blast taking it for a run in the country. After it warmed up a bit I turned on the heater and road in comfort. The insulated hard top and partial arctic kit kept me toasty at 55 mph. What a cool truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks