• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Starter melting back post

tbearatkin

Searched all starter post,

Had my starter rebuilt, neighbor owns a rebuild shop. He is aware of the 24Volt starter for CUCV.

After rebuilt I installed it with the same shim that came out, new bolts and hooked up the front bracket.

First start it acted like the batteries were low, set for a month so maybe so. I took the cables back off cleaned and re tightened all cables and tried again.

The M1009 started right up. I let it run 10 min then shut it off and tried to start again.

No luck and the back battery post started melting. I stop and I am now charging the batteries thinking maybe low batteries are the issue.

Is there anything else to look for before I try again?

cpf240

Fully charge the batteries, and then have them load tested. If the batteries aren't up to par, that may have led to the starter needing to be rebuilt the first time.

richingalveston

It possibly did not disengage and letting it run for 10 min with the starter still engaged may have toasted the starter. The engine is loud it is very hard to hear the starter spinning when it is stuck

check your shims. bump the starter a few times before cranking to make sure it is disengaging and engaging properly. remove the pink wire from the IP so it does not start when you are testing the starter for proper alignment.

tbearatkin

Charged the batteries all day. GP heated up, Vehicle started within 2 seconds like it always has. Will have to see what batteries I had installed and get them load checked These purchased Dec 2013 so they may be at the end of their useful lifespan. Could have been a loose connection at the batteries as well. Cleaned all post and terminals again and made sure they were tight. Looks like I will need some new ends soon. Thanks for the help

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks