• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new starter worked only 3 times

D10

hello all i dont get on here much but am having a starter issue. i did the doghead relay about a week ago and put on a new starter from db electric a few days ago. it has started for me about 3 times and on the fourth time... nothing just a click from the relay under the dash. the batteries are fine and been load tested all wiring looks fine. cant figure out where else to look. i dont seem to have good luck with these starters, i had a warranty with autozone but was told that they discontinued the dd starter with gr starter wich happens to only be 12v now . any help would be appreciated thanks. by the way 1986 m1009

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometings the DH relay are bad from the factory. You can try using a jumper wire to hot wire it for testing. You will jumper between the RED and Purple wires. Be prepared for some sparking as 24v will be flowing.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Others have reported short life of the DB Electric starters.

I'd bet it pooped out.

Get your original rebuilt. (This is why America is where it is today. We need to support(pay more) for American services and products.)

D10

Thanks for the input guys I do not have the original the nose with cracked I am going to take this 12electrical shop and have them check it out this is very frustrating I have change the starter out on this about 6 or 7 times since my 6 years of having it

Hasdrubal

Get a Direct drive 27MT. I got 6 years between rebuilds on mine. Another member stated ; The CUCV 27MT starter motor is a heavy-duty part, with increased strength pinion and ring gear teeth. The reason GM went to the gear reduction was cost savings and thats it. Not because they were better. Heavy copper wound starters cost BUCKS $$$ You can wind on a Direct drive till the batteries suck into a vacuum and not hurt them. Try that with the GR and you will melt it.

wayne pick

I agree with doghead, get your original rebuilt or source a used one that can be rebuilt. I despise all that cheap Auto Zone Durablast Chinese garbage. Put some money in an Americans pocket by having your trucks electrical parts rebuilt locally. There is nothing more aggravating than having to keep buying parts that eventually fail.:rant:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do recall another member that had repeated starter failures and he had a bad ground.

JGBallew

Loads of absolute garbage "New" CUCV starters out there.
I scrounged two cores and had them rebuilt, just because I got sick of returning the very pretty looking, but useless "new" ones.

D10

I also forgot to mention that I got a new style bracket I was able to find 1 at courtesy Chevrolet here in San Diego I don't know if they have any more but you can call them if you are in need of 1 as I understand they were discontinued

D10

ok just got back from out of town started checking out wiring and the smaller wire going to the starter is bent near the end and looks like the wires inside might be damaged. also the wire looks like it has diodes or something on it. would this be difficult to find to replace if i had to?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks