• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Steel Soldier from NY

CombatVet

Hello ladies and gents. Name is John Paul. 39 years young. Served in the U.S. Army 18th Airborne, out of Ft. Benning, GA. Also served in Operation Iraqi Freedom 3 from 2003-2004. My MOS is 63W (heavy/light wheel vehicle mechanic). I achieved the rank of E5 during my enlistment. Iv've been honorably discharged since 2010. Been thinking of re-enlisting, but my lady ain't trying to hear it. LOL. Besides, I have a 9 month old son with her now, so the little trooper makes it a little easier for his mom to make her objection a valid one.;)

I found this excellent site/forum upon searching google for custom and ruggedized RV's. I must commend the site admins and members for an excellent job done with the site/forums. You guys make this place an invaluable reference source and tool for the MV enthusiast and collector. It also helps that you guys make everyone feel like family here. I've been enjoying the humor and interesting conversations that have been shared here. :)

I've been inspired and motivated by the many good looking rigs that you guys have collected, restored and customized. So far I am favoring a Deuce expandable van or 5 ton (expandable?). The expandable van is perfect for a future project my lady and I would like to build up as a rugged off-road RV. We are favoring an automatic trans. I have bad knees. So, I need something that we can take turns driving long distances and have room in the cab for our son:). With my experience and mechanical/technical education and expertise, and my ladies patience and no-fear of getting dirty by turning some wrenches, we are ready to meet the challenge of owning and operating a MV:)

Thanks to the SS community and members for your efforts and excellent work on making this place what it is today. I look forward to contributing to this community in any way that I can. :)

John Paul

Last edited:

DeucesWild11

Welcome also from NY. There are allot of guys on here that have made M109s into nice off road campers. Where are you at in NY? It's a big state..

PS: thank you for your service..

CombatVet

Hey DeucesWild. I am from The Bronx, NY. Little Italy area. Born and raised here. Looking to get the heck outta here fast! LOL This place has turned in to a police state. And, the expense of living here is killing me. I will take a look at what you recommend as a off-road worthy RV. My options are open. :)

Thank you for the recognition, bro. *Salute ya back*

PS, I saw an M109 at TNJ Murray this past week. It looked to be in okay condition. Spoke with John Murray about the price, but nearly fell on the floor when I heard his price for it. Nearly needed to be heli-vac'd outta there when he told me the price for a 5 ton! LOL

Last edited:

bkwudzhom

Welcome to the site. Now grab ya bug out bag and head down to the GA rally on the 2nd weekend in OCT. It'll be a blast. You can dive in head first for sure. Do a search and the thread will give ya all the info you need.:driver:
Semper Fi!
BK
P.S. 80 acres are for sale down the road. When you get some sense and start lookin'! LOL!

Last edited:

CombatVet

I would really like to make this years GA rally, BK. We are in the process of relocating (getting the *bleep* outta NYC, finally!) If our finances permit us we will attempt to be there. If not, we will make a grand appearance next year in our new-to-us MV :D

We found a 17 acre lot for $29k in Vermont now that you mention the 80 acre lot in GA. But unfortunately we are po'folk right now. LOL. We have a two year plan to save up to buy some property while we are not living in NYC. Got my fingers crossed, man. Until then, we still play the lottery and hope to become instant millionaires. lol :)

DeucesWild11

Bronx ha, my wife's from Eastchester! Small world. That would be a tough place to have a Deuce, they are not something you can or want to parallel park! Keep looking, the classifieds here are a good place to look and you can find some deals.. Do some searches on the site for RV or M109 and you will probably find a bunch of threads on how people made them into some pretty cool RVs.. If I see something I'll try and PM you a message about it.

Good luck!

CombatVet

It is a small world after all. Heh, parking a deuce would be lots of fun in the city. There are more than a few drivers cars I wouldnt mind performing some "custom" body modifications to while trying to parallel park a deuce LOL. Thank you for your advice and help, Deuce. It is very appreciated :)

TTYS

John

Last edited:

M-37Bruce

Welcome Aboard CombatVet!
Another Thank-You from Central Virginia from a former Zoomie!
BTW, Your in the right place, but living in the wrong zip code?

CombatVet

Welcome Aboard CombatVet!
Another Thank-You from Central Virginia from a former Zoomie!
BTW, Your in the right place, but living in the wrong zip code?
Thank you, Bruce. I am in the right place here with you guys/gals. And fortunately, I am now OUT of NYC! Can I get a AMEN!? LOL. I will be staying in the tiny but nice, quiet state of Delaware for a while. The plan is to save some money to buy a house with property to spare somewhere where I can have all my toys and nobody close enough to my property to cry about it. :D:razz:

CombatVet

What part of Vermont are you considering?
One of my family members lives about 1 hour north of Brattleboro. I always forget the name of his town lol. I may look in his neck of the woods or further. All depending on the amount of land we can find that fits our budget. The 18 acre lot for $29k (I would've offered the realtor $24k) we found a few weeks ago was sweet, but unfortunately our current finances and circumstances didn't allow us to invest. Sucks big time! Hopefully by the time we are ready to buy we can find a similar deal.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There is at least one 2 1/2t 109 and a 5t 820 in the classifieds now, both van bodys, you could buy a truck then swap beds to a van

M-37Bruce

Thank you, Bruce. I am in the right place here with you guys/gals. And fortunately, I am now OUT of NYC! Can I get a AMEN!? LOL. I will be staying in the tiny but nice, quiet state of Delaware for a while. The plan is to save some money to buy a house with property to spare somewhere where I can have all my toys and nobody close enough to my property to cry about it. :D:razz:
Delaware is good!

CombatVet

Delaware is good!
Delaware is free of unnecessary taxes and rude people. Unlike NYC! there are lots of benefits of living in DE, but the state lacks mountains and majestic scenery that my lady and I enjoy very much. So our stay here is just a pit stop. The rugged mountains and nature are calling us :)

Besides, there aren't many places to hide our large toys in DE. Park a HEMMT here and you will have to relocate 50% of the state population. LOL:p

lindyp38

hey deuceswild. I am from the bronx, ny. Little italy area. Born and raised here. Looking to get the heck outta here fast! Lol this place has turned in to a police state. And, the expense of living here is killing me. I will take a look at what you recommend as a off-road worthy rv. My options are open. :)

thank you for the recognition, bro. *salute ya back*

ps, i saw an m109 at tnj murray this past week. It looked to be in okay condition. Spoke with john murray about the price, but nearly fell on the floor when i heard his price for it. Nearly needed to be heli-vac'd outta there when he told me the price for a 5 ton! Lol
2260 university ave here.....saint nicholas of tolentine......up in the country now.....but do occasionally go back for white castle hamburgers....lol

Blueduce

Welcome home troop from an old Tanker. 19-K for my first eight years and then I reenlisted back in 2001 as a 21-E Engineer. I feel ya on the re-up issue. Since my break is service was less than two years and I had enough civilian experience that I didn't need AIT to reclassify. As soon as I signed the dotted line I was off and running. I blew up my shoulder in 2007 which medically discharged me for good.

If you want my 2cents stay home. If your knees are already bad now another rotation through that sand box and you'll be in a chair. Leave all that Hooah stuff for the youngsters.

Anyway, I'll get off my:soapbox: and welcome you to the fold. When I got out I was missing the sense of belonging to a like minded team. The civilian workforce cannot fill this void. This site, the friends I've made and the unit cohesion was just what I needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks