• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new style light switch blues...

mendo069

hi guys, i recently purchased the new style key pad for the light controls of the deuce.. it's like a keypad, you push the button for the function you want and then press enter to activate.. well, i bought won from palladinice on ebay.. i made sure the batts. were dis-connected, touched metal to make sure i was static free.. connected to an engine ground, and installed the switch.. the only function that activates is the tail light function.. if i push the service light button it flashes so i then press the enter key to activate and then all the keypad lights flash blue and the unit shuts off... did i miss something? anyone that has one, i would sure appreciate the help.. thanks.. mendo...

devilman96

Yep the old ones are sure fire but they don't have them pretty blue lights...

Its prolly a "pre" bug unit which are known to blow... There is a year of manufacture (2002 and earlier I THINK) that you should avoid... It is repairable / upgradeable if you are comfortable working with circuit boards, usually one or more of the relays cook themselves on activation, all should be replaced.

If your bent on having it fix it... If you want to recover on your loss on it let me know as I am hunting one for my truck and am versed in them their electro errr mechanical errr wizmo gigs and the finer arts of masonry and wire stretching.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Devilman,

I talked to the contractor at length about the "pre bug units".. There are none... There has been no design change. It's a crap design.. Bottom line is the switch has way too much electronics in it to handle the "unrefined" 24V that runs thru it. You can ground it all day long, but sooner or later, it will fry... It's crap.

ida34

The guy on ebay screwed you. I got screwed the same way. Their are 4 small surface mount relays that usually are the ones that blow. I had mine replaced and have not had any other problems with it at all. I also carry my old switch in the tool box just in case.

mendo069

thanks guys !!! i made contact with him and the seller "palladinice" is willing to take it back and refund the money... thanks for the heads up.. they are way cool tho... i wish it worked !!!! tempted to seek an electrician or just stop tempting fait... it was those blue lights that hooked me.. :)

ida34

mendo069 said:
ida34 who did you use to fix your switch ?? just looked in the yellow pages ?? thanks.. like i said, it's the blue lights.....mendo
I opened it up and it was obvious what was fried. I took the number and got the relays from an electronics catalog. I can't remember the name but they are the go to people for electronic components. I then had my aunt put them in. They are surface mount so they require professional to do. My aunt had an electronics assembly business and the special tools to do surface mount work. I have already asked and she does not want to start fixing them for everyone. Sorry. She ended up doing it by hand so it can be done without the special tools.

ida34

Digikey is the one I was thinking about. I have not fryed one yet. No trouble and had it in about 10 months now.

Jimmy

I have had the new style push button switch on my HMMWV for about two years, running 24v and love it. I have had no problems at all and I did buy it on e-bay. I guess I got lucky. I am planning to put one on my deuce and 5 ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks