• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New style power steering pump

3000gt

Can the new style power steering pump be used with the V belt design(use pully from old pump).
I don't want to convert everything to a serpentine belt system if I don't have to.
Also if this will work what all do I need to convert it bracket and a reservoir I assume.

Thanks

DSO_351

No. Different rotation, different mounting hole pattern (uses three tightly grouped bolts), different engine mounting Bracket, different pulley, different pressure lines. You could retrofit the reservoir.

3000gt

I have been thru 3 pumps so far after I installed my MM winch. The pumps work great until I hook a load and then the winch stalls and bam nothing works. Oem and aftermarket napa pumps used. 30 dollars PayPal for the person that figures this nightmare out.
As soon as I install a new pump everything works great until I use the winch (brand new)

Do I need the new style power steering pump with this winch?

3000gt

Ok I checked pressure from pump and it's roughly 900 psi with some leaks to tester. Winch will pull in out while not under load. Still no steering . Have bleed by turning wheels all day. I think it's air lock or steering box

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the MM plumbed correctly? While there are only 2 lines, they have to land on the correct fitting.
left is hydro-boost and right is steering gear.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me add, when initial starting, don't let the pump go dry...anything more then 5 secs can ruin the pump. Start it and turn it right off, add fluid, wait for the foam to settle and clear, start again. Run the winch, check the fluid...repeat.

3000gt

Let me add, when initial starting, don't let the pump go dry...anything more then 5 secs can ruin the pump. Start it and turn it right off, add fluid, wait for the foam to settle and clear, start again. Run the winch, check the fluid...repeat.

Will u PLEASE pm me your number? I read a post back from 2006 where u had similar problem. the lines are plumbed correctly and I bled pump correctly.
The pumps will work perfect until I use winch while under load..... then steering goes out and I get very little flow

3000gt

I have 2 return lines going to pump. if I had them installed backwards would that cause issues? one from hydro boost and other from fan clutch control valve I think

3000gt

Talked to MM and they said to use winch at idle!!!!!!!!!!!!! been revving motor up I guess that is what was blowing my pumps. Ill change pump again and report back.

3000gt

OK hopefully this will help someone in the future.
1) if u are going to run a MM winch use an OEM PS pump at IDLE. Napa pumps will work for non hydraulic winch trucks.
2) If you are replacing a pump Please be careful and ensure you never run out of fluid. 4-5 seconds of being dry can destroy the vanes in the pump and it will half ass work. How do i know this u ask?, because I purchased a tester and my 3 pumps were dead dead dead.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also have an MM winch, I tried a few weekends ago, hardly pulled on high speed, with about 10 feet of cable out, but it was pulling on low range.
I did order a new pump, so all I have to do is installed it, waiting for the puller from amazon

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone help out.
I was going to replace the PS, I bought the pulley puller from OTC
The only problem is that it will not work on this pulley, probably OK for reinstalling , but does anyone know which tool to use to remove the pulley, maybe somethig like a steering puller ?
Here's a picture of the pulley
IMG_1544.JPG

tage

You thread two bolts into the pulley, then use a bracket with a another bolt in the middle to pull it off the shaft. They sell them at harbor freight

First remove that bolt in the picture..