• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New summer project! "Rosie"

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hate to correct, but actually DPG - stands for Deep Bronze Green, often called Military green and was used on most FV's from the factory (with a few exceptions) made for the British Army, which were then over painted camo or OD etc., once in service..

Next question - what is the name of the light turquoise like colour used for rebuilt engines/transmissions???

Another Ahab

light turquoise like !

This colour....
Funny that you point this out, because I recall doing Reserve drill (Seabee) at Ft Belvoir (VA) years ago, where there was a machine shop that had some of the most mouth-watering beautiful old cabinet saws, jointers, planers, etc you have ever seen (likely 40's or 50's era stuff, and all of them HEAVY cast-iron and absolutely bomb-proof):

- And I kind of remember that this was the color painted on of a lot of them (where not just bare milled-iron).

Is there something standard G.I. about this color?

Uhm, we're not going too far off-thread here are we...

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Love Landy FC's. So cool.

Whiterabbit

light turquoise like !

This colour....
Try Detroit engine "Alpine green". Get it at the local auto parts store. Pretty darn close match, painted the head on my Landie's engine with it the 3rd time I had it out of the truck. :-(
It'll take 3 or 4 cans to do an engine with 3 coats.

With the price of gas dropping you have to bring it to the Georgia rally!

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seeing as no one got it..... That colour is known as Eau de Nil (translates from French as 'Water of the Nile'). This paint was used for rebuilt engines/transmissions. If the vehicle had it's original engine, it would be unpainted (block is aluminium) with gloss black plumbing/electrics etc.

Thought I'd add this pic for the LR Forward Control fans out there...

Attachments

Last edited:

Heyitsmike

That's cool! How were they able to tow them with Awd though? Unless they remove the driveshaft I guess

Also, when is this Georgia rally? Things will depend on if I can get it put together in time haha

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Also, when is this Georgia rally? Things will depend on if I can get it put together in time haha
Oct. 7-11, 2015.

You can read the information thread about the 2014 event here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?126876-Official-2014-SS-Georgia-Rally-Info-SSGR14-thread

The thread for 2015 is not up yet but next year will be very similar to 2014. There will be small changes to make the rally better but from a spectator viewpoint, 98% of what you need to know about the 2015 event is in the 2014 thread I just linked.

Depending upon where you are in Boston, this would be about a thousand mile trip for you, one way.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ypdly

That's a really long trip and not cheap in terms of time or cost, but let me say:

The Ga. Rally is one of the biggest military vehicle rallies in the Country, with 131 powered military vehicles in attendance. Counting military trailers, we had over 170 vehicles. We have an authentic military kitchen trailer providing breakfast, lunch and dinner for participants. Very good trailrides and offroading, from mild to wild. We took 48 trucks on a convoy to get lunch on Saturday morning. The convoy was so long it took 4+ minutes for it to pass the photographers. Good swap meet, camping, campfires and a very friend, social group.

This year, we swapped a deuce engine in the field, swapped beds on a CUCV and replaced head gaskets on another deuce. Next year, Ferrogynecologist is bringing the gear to create the "Ga. Rally Railroad".

And, our Landy participation is growing every year-this year we had 4 Landies in attendance. You can be #5 in 2015!

Please take a few minutes to check the pictures in the rally multimedia thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...014-SS-Georgia-Rally-Multimedia-SSGR14-thread

We've had people come from as far away as Cuba, Uraguay and the Czech Republic to attend our little get together. In addition to California, NY, Texas, West Virginia, Virginia, Louisiana, the Carolinas, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc.

So get your Lucas replacement wiring harness smoke and all your tools and spare parts ready!

Heyitsmike

Thanks for the info clinto! If I can get the time off from work, I think it'd be fun

Also, zebedee,
You mentioned that it could be possible that the truck could have served in the gulf. You may find it interesting that I talked to Les, the historian over at the 101 club, and he was able to dig up some info for me. Apparently, at the time of the gulf war, it was part of the 1st battalion of the Devonshire and Dorset regiment, who did indeed serve in the gulf during Op Granby. Wether or not that exact truck went with them, I'm not sure. I do however have a picture of when the truck was imported, and it was a tan color. I'm not sure if that's te doing of the military or the previous owner in the uk. I didnt see an "allied" triangle insignia, but I'm also not sure which trucks did and didn't have them. But I find it interesting that it very well could have been a war vet

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, Les is a great guy. I've known him for many years...

As far as the tan goes - pretty sure it's going to be authentic and in Bob Morrisons book - Land Rovers in the Gulf, there are no pics of any with the "triangle" or inverted chevron..... I think that came later (second Gulf war) and was for armour but not too sure.

Heyitsmike

I've seen a couple with the chevron, again though, not really sure which conflict that was. Or if it was even the military that painted these specific ones for that matter lol ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419912395.824607.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419912417.322713.jpg

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First pic - GS with Mortar fit (only ones to get triple Jerry can holder instead of winch).
Second pic - radio body with ac unit on roof. This would probably interfere with the masts (if vehicle was 'radio' rather than REME repair van etc.,) so may have been a civi mod for camping in that blistering hot UK summer (wink wink).

Has to be someone who can date the chevrons and theatre of operations. Second Gulf? Though I thought all 101's were done and 'out' before that conflict.

If you post those pics on the 101 site you may get some more info.

Whiterabbit

Contact the RAF Museum. I sent them my info and got a detailed history of my 109. They do ask for a small donation to the museum but well worth it.
The Ga Rally is a ton of fun, one of my friends comes down from Tn in his Light Weight and another from Alabama.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks