• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Tennessee M1009

bmwk5

Guys and gals I have been lurking for a couple years now. I got my first of 3 K5s about 6 years ago and have always longed for a green one!! Finally found this one about 20 minutes away at a volunteer fire department and couldn't pass it up. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398904869.190544.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398904895.878441.jpg

bmwk5

I got this along with tons of spare parts. It came with an extra starter, injector pump, slave cables, several filters, dash trim piece, window crank, and about 30 glow plugs. Sadly they are the wrong ones. Anyways the first order of business was to get the fire department stripes off. That was a real PITA!! Heat gun and scrapers and chemicals and the DA sander finally did the trick. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398905109.979144.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398905123.728203.jpg

bmwk5

Didn't get a pic but I did finally sand it completely today. I am getting her back green hopefully in a week or so. I have a buddy that does paint and body helping me. He has painted for the military and used sherwin Williams several times. What do you guys think the best primer is before the Sherwin Williams 383 to lay down on top of this fire dept red?

truck1

Nice looking rig ! Usually a fire service rig is in decent shape . I would use a dark gray color primer to help with coverage before your final color coat otherwise you'll use more of that 383 to cover the red.Welcome to the OD fever.[thumbzup]

Last edited:

stationjj

Congratulations on your new purchase. I have a M1009 as well. live in Middle Tennessee. I have to ask what local department you bought it from?
I Will send you a PM.

stationjj

bmwk5

Thank yall! It has been fun getting it this far but I dont think I would be a mechanic or body guy for $100 an hour....haha Here she is so far...hope to paint this weekend if the rain will hold off. photo.jpg
So have any of you replaced your bumper bolts?I went to get them at the hardware store and they are much flatter on the top than the oem ones. My original ones are about too rusty to put them back on...

Attachments

bmwk5

Finally got a good enough day to lay down some green!! I owe it to my dad and buddy. Dad did some welding for my buddy on his boat and he agreed to spray some green for a trade. Id say I made out like a bandit on that deal.....Anyways here she is!!photo 1-3.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 1-4.jpgphoto 3-1.jpgphoto 2-4.jpgI know love this thing more than ever!! Cannot wait to get it put back together tomorrow hopefully!

bmwk5

Other than pouring down rain all day it was great. The Veteran's Museum in Huntsville is awesome!! There were several M1009s there and the guys were very nice and a wealth of knowledge.

donalloy1

Looks like a great job to me. Have one in Cali thats needs your TLC! Welcome to the OD O9 sickness. Mine is daily driver and is very dependable. Love sporting it all over Bay Area!

bmwk5

Haven't posted in a while and thought I would share an update.... After some slow start issues, checking batteries and wiring...found out a starter bolt was missing. A few hours in the shop today I changed the glow plugs, terminal ends to fit 60gs and replaced the starter bolts. Last week I changed the oil and filter. She is running better than ever and started like a dream earlier. I only got to drive it a couple miles today. Since I had to put the doors and top back on I just thought I would share some pics from the summer....man I LOVE this thing!!IMG_4526.jpgIMG_4464.jpgIMG_4734.jpgIMG_4735.jpgIMG_4736.jpg

bmwk5

I had a buddy help me paint it with Sherwin Williams....I love the way it looks but it scratches so easily. You could rub your finger down the side and see the scratch forever. This is my only complaint with it. One day I would love to do the real camo paint job....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks