• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Tires - 285/75/16 on stock springs and wheels - different size spare?

Jack Lope

Buying new tires tomorrow. After lots of searching, from what I can gather, the 285/75/16 will fit on the stock rims and springs with no lift kit. I'm crossing my fingers! I'll post pics!

Is it bad to run a spare tire of a different size? Say 235/85/16? Was considering keeping one of the old tires as a spare, but was thinking that might be bad with a locking rear diff?

Let the flaming begin.

paladin1176

If you want to keep the bigger spare, just make sure that if you get a flat in the rear you rotate the correct size from the front to the rear to prevent any problems. If you are planning on driving on the spare for longer periods of time (ie just put on the spare and drive it til you need new tires) then get the right size.

rlltide12

The 285/75 is 32.8 inches tall. The 235/85 is 31.7 tall. So you will be just fine. I doubt you would even notice it. I wouldnt run it for a long length of time, but it will get you out of a pinch just as any spare should.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What vehicle? If your talking about an M1008, they will fit just fine.

If needed, you can run the smaller tire on the front temporarily until you get to a tire shop to replace it. It will pull, but it will work.

I've driven over 150000 miles with an odd sized spare and never needed it.

Jack Lope

What vehicle? If your talking about an M1008, they will fit just fine.

If needed, you can run the smaller tire on the front temporarily until you get to a tire shop to replace it. It will pull, but it will work.

I've driven over 150000 miles with an odd sized spare and never needed it.
Oh sorry, this is for an M1008. I forgot to add that.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to add that info to your sig line.

markg

The 285/75 is 32.8 inches tall. The 235/85 is 31.7 tall. So you will be just fine. I doubt you would even notice it. I wouldnt run it for a long length of time, but it will get you out of a pinch just as any spare should.
This may not always be true, it depends on the manufacturer. most u.s. made tires may be close but the offshore tires are generally smaller. one example is i have a u.s. made 31x10.50-15 tire for a 1009 i had. i stood a tire of the same size next to it made by falken and it was noticably smaller. i would not run tires of the same size made by different manufactures on the back of any cucv.

Last edited:

markg

The truck in my avitar has 255/85/16 on it and they fit great, and they help the top speed by about 10%. i dont know how tall they are.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put 255s on my M1010 last year but they are on 7" rims. Nice and beefy.

Tried to add a pic via tapatalk. Says "This feature disabled by your forum administrator". Oh well.

Last edited:

Jack Lope

Well, tire store was crazy today.

They mounted the 285's on two wheels, was working on the third when the manager came out and said they won't mount those tires on my wheels, saying the wheels are 16x6.5 and they won't do it. So, I said put the old tires back on and we'll call it a day, but that wasn't good enough for them. They really wanted to sell me the 265's, but i wasn't interested. By this time, they're now removing the new tires from the rims.
Then the guy tried to sell me new wheels and pointed out some that were only $50 each, but they were chrome and I wasn't interested. He kept trying to sell me new wheels, but I just told him I wasn't interested in new wheels.

So, they decided to just GIVE me new wheels if I still bought the tires from them. So I did.

I got:

Tires - $30 store rebate - $80 manufacturer rebate + free wheels.

Only thing, it'll be a week or so before the wheels arrive. They had to order them. This is a big, national chain tire store. You could probably guess who it is. I'm blow away by the whole thing.

Anyways, this is what the new wheels will look like: They're 16x7's. Hopefully they fit.

WHEEL.jpg

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did the 255s because they were an inch skinnier, a fraction of an inch taller and mostly because they were load range E. The ford rims look like the stockers but were 7" wide. The M1010 is really cramped in the rear fenderwells.

I run 285 75 16's on stock steel wheels and the work fine.I have a set on an old set of Mickey Thompson 8 lug rims that have 285 75 16's on that I drive daily on my red m1008 though I would have preferred the BF Goodrich all terrains over the Xtx Wild countrys not a huge fan of these as soon as I get money saved up im getting Bf Goodrich again.

Jack Lope

I tried to find 255's, but the only ones I found were waaaay more expensive than the 285's.

The pic was just a generic pic I found online. The wheels are Unique model 42's.

I tried to find 255's, but the only ones I found were waaaay more expensive than the 285's.

The pic was just a generic pic I found online. The wheels are Unique model 42's.
I recently put unique 16x7 model 297-7780 with BFG 265/75R/16E1 on my M1031, they are great especially in all the snow I have been driving through. My data show the Unique Model 42 is for 15", you might want to check on that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks