• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Tires for the Desert Deuce

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made a trip down to Jack's Gov Surplus in Tucson yesterday to buy 10 new (with centerlines, never mounted) 11.00x20 NDCC Titan 373's. Put the new M105A2 to good use. Pulled it with my 01 F350. I decided to buy new after searching for tires over the last 3 weeks. I got prices all over the board. Jack's price for new was very good $125ea. And they match!

I did buy some tires from Berg Tires, I specified 12 matching, 80% or better, same manufacturer. Was told "no problem". When I got them, there was Cooper, General, Fidelity, Goodyear, Titan and Armstrong, most of the tires were 50% and below, most with bad cupping. They sold them to me for $25ea, I thought I was getting a great deal. Shipping was $475 to AZ from NC - Ouch! $775.13 total. Only 1 tire was what I would consider usable 90% (I kept this one for my spare, Titan 373).

Anyway, short story long, Cindy Berg ended up giving me all my money back including shipping. I did pay $25 for the 90% Titan. And she had the shipping co come back and pick them all up for a return trip to NC.

Jesse is the new salesman at Berg and he was in a hurry to leave and start his vacation when he took my order, he just gave it to the wharehouse guy with none of the instructions on the copious notes he had taken (confirmed by Cindy). Attention to detail is everything.

Cindy at Berg took care of me, but it's been a 3 week fiasco.

I added a couple extra pictures as well.

Attachments

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks great Kevin. I love your Chevy truck and am jealous of your side parking area. That would save me alot of money in RV storage. Get some pics with the new rubber mounted. What is that last picture supposed to be of? All I see is trees! [thumbzup]

Desert Rat

Kevin,

Good to see you found a good set. Sorry about your luck here. It's hit-or-miss most of the time.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys,

Yeah right, nothing but trees :) Yeah devin, I can post some more pictures of the chevy if you want, the NAPCO owners assoc believes it's the oldest NAPCO upfitted chevy in existence. The side yard is nice for our toys.

The tires were $125ea, not sure if Jack has 9.00x20, give him a call 520-574-0300. Jack is a great guy. With Jack, the price is the price. He does not like to sell parts, he likes to sell whole vehicles. He will put together, in his shop anything you want, paint it and it looks good. When I was there, he and his son were getting ready to pull a Mack diesel out of a wrecker and put it in a truck that he just sold. Jack and I spent a couple hours touring his yards, everything you could imagine, 124 Chocktaw choppers, over 45 M37's in every config. Lots of GMC M135's (not sure about the M numbers of the GMC's, but, he has them in many configs.), special deuces with radiation warning signs and lights from White Sands. Jack hates parting with anything, he is the ultimate MV collector.

I'm on my way to Ogden UT today to pick up my new find, a 30KW gen on a M200A1. It's an older gen (1966) with a Detroit 3-53 (has a blower), 236hrs, runner, looks real good. I'll post pictures of the trip later this week.

Desert Rat, Thanks for your help looking for tires, greatly appreciated.

That's it for now

Good job Kevin,

You've come along way from here, (1st picture attached). :D

Second picture is my '59 Chev. It doesn't say NAPCO anywhere on it so I think it was the first year Chev did it at the factory. I'll have to look at the original invoice (still have it). My dad was the original purchaser and ordered it that way. He built the camper and we spent the summer of 1960 and again in 1962 in Alaska with it. Drove all the way to Circle City Alaska with it. Lots of memories.

It came with a 235-6cyl which he pulled out after a hole burned in a piston at about 25,000 miles. Dropped a big 292 straight 6 in it. It's still there to this day, including the Ironwood motor mount he had to make in Mexico in the late 60's.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks