• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to CUCV

jvrotter

Well, I got my first CUCV Blazer and I thought I better start posting here for all the good info. My son-in-law and I both got ones from Nellis a few weeks ago. Now I'm ready to start getting it in shape. Its got 17K miles on it and runs pretty good. Just need some advise on where to start first. I do plan on doing the usual maintenance - oil change, check all fluids, check brakes etc. From reading here I gather that changing out the starter relay is pretty important so I ordered the relay from NAPA. Considering the milage is changing the glow plugs a top priority? Anyway heres a couple pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

Barrman

Welcome to the fun. No matter the miles, it is still a 25 year old truck and will need some work. The choice is yours about where you do that work. At home at your pace or on the side of the road.

Reading through the CUCV section on here will take days and answer just about every situation that can happen with these trucks. A good place to start is replacing everything that is rubber and cleaning everything that is electrical.

SGT Estum

Personally, I would not bother changing the glowplugs unless one (or more) of them tests bad. The testing procedures are in the TM, but the cliff notes are check the resistance on each with an ohmmeter.

Better advice yet: download the TMs if you don't have them and go through a full PMCS.

OL AG '89

PMCS PMCS AND PMCS.
It's the best way to learn about the vehicle and discover "hidden" faults that will appear at midnite on a deserted road 50 miles from nowhere.
It will take you a couple of hours that will be worth days in return.
It will also give you a reference point for the vehicle condition and may help you determine a "what's needed" list for the future.

PS don't bother getting the shots for the bug you've caught, just drink lots of bottled refreshments and eat the well cooked BEEF!!!

THERE IS NO CURE!!!!

Last edited:

warriorbob

whats the part number for the starter relay? Ive tried findin em through the auto shops using the tm part number and the only place ive had any luck is the dealership wich is way over priced

monkeythumbs

The part number for the relay is at NAPA # 7-01860-1 , remeber to buy some ring terminals while there. I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. its an easy upgrade.

jvrotter

Actually, I just ordered a relay from NAPA, will pick it up tomorrow. They didn't have it in stock so they had to get it from Bakersfield, I think. They're also charging me an extra $5 for shipping. Is that normal procedure for NAPA? Also have to drive 20 miles to the store. It will cost me $8 in gas. This is turning into an expensive part.

Fleg

The part number for the relay is at NAPA # 7-01860-1 , remeber to buy some ring terminals while there. I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. its an easy upgrade.

Is that number still valid? I've searched on Napa Online and it says it can't find a part associated with that number.