• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to Deuce, We have lights, but no Turn signal or Brake lights. Help

Packards42

We just purchased a 1962 M35A2, the headlight and tailight are working. the dash light OK.

No Brakelights, No turn indicators. the bulbs are good.

We have been trying to read the wiring diagram line 75 and 22 look like the keys. If the headlight are working, I assume the circuit breaker feeding power is Ok to the switch panel.

From what I read, If the headlight are turned on, then their should be power to the turnsignals and brakelights to be working too. The light on the urn signal switch unit date 2010 is not lighting up. The turn indicator assembly appears to have been replace prior to our purchasing this. The previous owner only had this one for 6-8 months, he found a nicer Deuice and sold this one.

Any suggestions for trouble shooting this.

Is possible for the black out lights to be interfearing with the brake and turn signals, even if the headlite switch is still on.

DieselBob

Unless someone changed something from stock there is on circuit breaker for the lights. Did you try and see if the B.O. brake lights work. In TM 9-2320-209-20-2-1, starting in figure 25-23 has some trouble shooting steps for the turn signals. I would check the B.O. brake lights first though because they do not go through the turn signal control.

Packards42

Unless someone changed something from stock there is on circuit breaker for the lights. Did you try and see if the B.O. brake lights work. In TM 9-2320-209-20-2-1, starting in figure 25-23 has some trouble shooting steps for the turn signals. I would check the B.O. brake lights first though because they do not go through the turn signal control.
The mainlight work OK and the BO light are working too.

Just turn signals and brakes are NOT working. ?? BO Brake lights? Are saying their are Brakelight in the BO setup too. we check that

welldigger

The wire to your blinker/ brake light has 2 numbers stamped on the number tag if I remember correctly. Pull that wire connector loose at the tail light and use a multimeter to see if you have power from that wire. If you do clean the grounds really good and if they aren't there already add star washers to the bolts holding the light to the bracket. These lights ground through the bolts. Also check the bulbs again. Even if the bulb has 2 filaments it only does one function. Meaning the tail light has its own bulb and the brake light/blinker has its own bulb. And if you have led lights like my truck had then the light itself may just be toast. That's what happened to me with 3 of the 4 light fixtures.

goldneagle

At first it sounds like a ground problem for your brake lights. Try grounding the fixtures better. Star washer on the 2 large mounting bolts in back of the lights was a good suggestion.

Ford Mechanic

Check for a rub on the harness after the firewall in the engine compartment on the backside of the fender. My rear lights were inop also and that's what I found wrong.

Packards42

I fogot to say the parking light do work, and the front turn signal are not working either, sound like a broken wire to the turn signal power to me.

We building a bathroom addition so time is short for trouble shooting. Trying to the foundation done in this freezing weater, is a challenge.

M1031CMT

Like the others have stated, it is usually a bad ground that is the main problem when flashers are not working.

Now this might seem like a dumb question, but did you check to see if the flasher module is still on the truck? I ask because one of our trucks all of a sudden no longer had any flashers. The headlights, running lights and even the break lights worked but not the flashers. Traced all the wiring on the tail-lgihts, and was all good. Swapped out the flasher arm on the steering but still nothing. Till one day when checking the oil, I noticed that the flasher module under the hood (on the inside of the drivers side fender) was missing. Someone stole it out of the truck. Installed a new one and all was good.

Also, if it is still there, make sure the ground wire coming off it actually has a good ground. On another truck the ground wire looked fine till we took it off, sanded it down then reconnected it and it fixed the flasher problems we had on that truck.

It can also be a bad flasher arm assembly. We have replaced a couple of those over the years too.

Good luck.

welldigger

One thing I did on my truck when my blinkers quit was I pulled the flasher arm apart and cleaned all of the contacts with fine Emory paper. It didn't help in my case but for those who think their blinker lever is bad its something to try.